Sign in to follow this  
irishpete

Crusade for a px4 storm 9mm

Having shot the PX4 Storm in 9mm, it seems to be growing on me.

I have been perusing web sites like Gunbroker etc to look at getting a Beretta PX4 Storm type G.

And while prices seem reasonable up front, they all seem to be for 17rd mags which are illegal in NJ.

So by the time you add in buying another 2-3 mags at $30 a clip, the price starts to look less appealing esp when you factor in FFL & shipping.

so are there any 15rd versions available ?

No, but there are 10 round mags available. You can get 15 round mags for $20 from CDNN (http://www.cdnninvestments.com).

That being said - you could buy it off this guy on the Beretta forums for $445 shipped (just say no mags).

http://berettaforum.net/vb/showthread.php?t=76695

What's the difference between those type codes?

Type F - Manual Safety/Decocker DA/SA

Type G - No Safety/Decocker Only DA/SA

Type D - No Safety/No Decocker DOA

Type C - No Safety/No Decocker Constant Action (Basically Half cocked Double action)

A Type F can be converted to Type G with Stealth/Low Profile levers. I did this on Both of My PX4's.

Having shot the PX4 Storm in 9mm, it seems to be growing on me.

I have been perusing web sites like Gunbroker etc to look at getting a Beretta PX4 Storm type G.

And while prices seem reasonable up front, they all seem to be for 17rd mags which are illegal in NJ.

So by the time you add in buying another 2-3 mags at $30 a clip, the price starts to look less appealing esp when you factor in FFL & shipping.

so are there any 15rd versions available ?

There is also a PX4 Storm compact 9mm (not sub compact) that is 15rds standard, it also uses the rotating barrel and gets rave reviews.

Thanks for the great info & help, seems like a NJ PX 4 in 9mm buyer may resign himself to purchasing the mags separately

why not try a px4 in 40 cal? it's pretty good and has 14 round mags.

I did think of this but as a new shooter, I would probably bankrupt myself on the more expensive ammo

There is also a PX4 Storm compact 9mm (not sub compact) that is 15rds standard, it also uses the rotating barrel and gets rave reviews.

As its a range gun and NJ is pretty much no ccw, I think its better to get the full size

You can get 15 round mags for $20 from CDNN

Took a look on the website, they are listed at $22.99, am i missing something ?

A Type F can be converted to Type G with Stealth/Low Profile levers. I did this on Both of My PX4's.

I have no idea what low profile levers are, are they cheap?, is the conversion difficult and could it be done by a regular joe or does it need a gun smith ?

Like I say I am curious however the type F's also seem to be mainly 17rd mags when new.

Thanks for the great info & help, seems like a NJ PX 4 in 9mm buyer may resign himself to purchasing the mags separately

As its a range gun and NJ is pretty much no ccw, I think its better to get the full size

Dont count the compact out, I have the "SubCompact" and I can shoot that thing all day at the range. These Beretta 9mm's tame recoil very well. The Bullet Hole has the Full Size, Compact, and SubCompact in Stock to look at and compare.

If its going to be full size then buy it with 10rd and but the 15 rd mags sepertely. You might be able to order a NJ compliant one with the 15rd mags. I did have a Beretta 15rd full size 9mm mag at one time ( I used it in my SubCompact).

I have no idea what low profile levers are, are they cheap?, is the conversion difficult and could it be done by a regular joe or does it need a gun smith ?

http://www.berettausa.com/products/px4-safety-and-slide-catch-le-only-low-prof-typ-g-only/

These are the levers that convert your type F to a G. They go in and out of stock. You can also find them for sale on Gunbroker and the Beretta forum classifieds. They are easy to install and you do not need a gunsmith, just a hammer and a small punch 1/16". But you can have any gunsmith install them in 20min. Note, On the Beretta website it says LE only, pay no attention to that, anyone can order and own them.

Here is a PX4 Compact Type G that came up in the classifieds. Notice the low profile (flat) decoker levers vs the batwing type on the Type F.

http://www.berettaforum.net/vb/showthread.php?t=76954

I forgot to mention that a Type G conversion can be done for free. You just wind up retaining the Standard (Batwing) levers. All you do is remove the levers, remove the tiny ball and spring and replace the levers, Type G - Done.

I got to tell you, I love them low profile levers.

My only complaint with the PX4 was when racking the slide, I sometimes catch on the bulbous levers. It looks like with the low profile that problem is probably gone.

Pete

I felt the trigger on a PX4 full-size today and it was very nice. Even the double action trigger was very nice. Felt to me like a tuned revolver.

Took a look at the listing, did not see any mention of low profile levers but seems a good deal.

Lots of blurb about you contacting them if you win the auction as they will not contact you and lining up the FFL with no follow up by them

Standard operating procedure for many sellers on gunbroker. Tanners is a good outfit, I have used them for a few transactions. If you live anywhere near mid nj I say google map there address, drive over and check it out in person. Even with ffl transfer fees it is a good deal.

Yeah, standard mumbo jumbo. I bought a few guns from gunbroker and never had a problem.

I am pretty sure Lo Pro Decocker levers are standard on Type G models.

Gun $369

Transfer $40 (LIncoln Park True Value Hardware)

Total = $409 At least a $125-$200 less than buying local. They are usually $499-539 + tax + Fees. Easily runs into the $600 range if you buy local.

2-15mags = $50

==$460

If your serious and ready, don't hesitate. Once the Beretta Forum gets wind of this they will be gone fast.

Well, I popped my cherry and grabbed one.

You read my mind as exactly the way I planned to do it(talked to bruce at lincoln yesterday) except I will spring for 3 mags from cdnn for $78.96 total

Already ordered the 1000 rds of rws Ammo that was on sale for $200 shipped.

Next up is getting the paraphernalia like ear/eye protection and a good safe like Gunvault GV2000C-DLX at amazon for $127.84 rounds out at $166

so at the end of the day

409 + 200 + 78.96 + 166 = $855 in the hole

Cant wait to get my hands on the lot and head off to the range :good:

Well, I popped my cherry and grabbed one.

You read my mind as exactly the way I planned to do it(talked to bruce at lincoln yesterday) except I will spring for 3 mags from cdnn for $78.96 total

Already ordered the 1000 rds of rws Ammo that was on sale for $200 shipped.

Next up is getting the paraphernalia like ear/eye protection and a good safe like Gunvault GV2000C-DLX at amazon for $127.84 rounds out at $166

so at the end of the day

409 + 200 + 78.96 + 166 = $855 in the hole

Cant wait to get my hands on the lot and head off to the range :good:

Your going to be happy with that purchase. Good luck and don't forget to post some pics when you get it.

Just got the email it shipped from PA & is expected to arrive on monday.

Cannot help but wonder if the USPS system is taking Hurricane Irene into account.

Only thing I do not have arriving this week is a cleaning kit. Kind of fell off my radar, in a pinch, will a toothbrush & some wd1 do the Job :icon_twisted:

My PX4 has been delivered to FFL (Lincoln Park True Value Hardware).

So I rang and inquired about picking it up, talked to some dude and he said they only do the transfer up to 4pm on weekdays.

That's a bummer as I do not get home from work until 6pm during the week :(

So I will have to try on the Saturday which is a real bummer 'cause I would be toting that bad boy to the range tonight if I could get my hands on it

I may have to get one of these because of their performance. I just wish they were more attractive.

My PX4 has been delivered to FFL (Lincoln Park True Value Hardware).

So I rang and inquired about picking it up, talked to some dude and he said they only do the transfer up to 4pm on weekdays.

That's a bummer as I do not get home from work until 6pm during the week :(

So I will have to try on the Saturday which is a real bummer 'cause I would be toting that bad boy to the range tonight if I could get my hands on it

Are you going to be able to get there? Are thought Lincoln Park was washed out.

I feel your pain, it sucks waiting to pick up your firearms.