farfromahero

Shot a 12g for the first time today

I bought a m500 a few weeks back and I finally got around to putting 30 rounds or so through it at the range today. I have shot skeet before but god damn this has some more kick to it especially with 00 buckshot in it.

Here is a target with 6 shots fired in 3 rapid fire pumps at 30 yards. It is not terribly impressive but, for my first time with a 12g, I think I did alrite.

post-3602-0-93841400-1314495818_thumb.jpg

I guess you're ready for a semi?

A heavier gun won't kick as much. Rub your shoulder a little and be thankful you didn't have to shoot untold boxes of buck & slugs in a single match.......

NICE target though & glad you had some fun!

Dave

Yea, I know they hurt more. But, the range I was at doesn't allow bird shot, so I figured go big or go home with the 00 buck. I am sure that the Knoxx stock from Blackhawk helped with the recoil as well.

Knoxx recoil reducing yes, the regular one.... no.

Broke my Saiga-12 in with 20 rounds of #00 buckshot from the shoulder, then another 20 rounds from the hip. Was trully a "blast"! :icon_mrgreen:

Gotta take the Mossberg with the pistol grip out sometime and see what that one feels like.

I think I will need 3" magnum shells to trully have fun though....................

When I first got my nitro mag 887 I shot about 30, 3" magnum rounds and got a blood blister on my shoulder. I bought one of those limb saver recoil pads to put over the stock. It made a world of difference I shot over 50 magnum rounds on my next visit with no soreness at all. I just bought a box of 3 1/2 inch Super Magnums and am honestly afraid to shoot those lol .

• Like 1

When I first got my nitro mag 887 I shot about 30, 3" magnum rounds and got a blood blister on my shoulder. I bought one of those limb saver recoil pads to put over the stock. It made a world of difference I shot over 50 magnum rounds on my next visit with no soreness at all. I just bought a box of 3 1/2 inch Super Magnums and am honestly afraid to shoot those lol .

Didn't know there was such a thing. I'd love to go try a box with ya, just tell me what to buy and where to meet you!

I love the kick. Can't say I'd do it all day long, but I'd love to give it a try! :icon_mrgreen:

Personally, no. It still feels like a block of wood hitting your shoulder at 40 miles per hour.

But if you think that's bad, wait till you see how the guy at the other end feels...

I have not fired mine yet. is the 00 low-recoil shots much noticeably tamer than regular 00?

I guess it depends on the gun you are shooting #00 buckshot from. I was shooting mine out of a Saiga-12 which is a semi auto and had a nice kick, but very comfy. If you had an over/under or a side by side or a pump style gun, you will certainly feel more of the punch with one of those.

I have used a Remmington 870 and 1100 and the 1100 is much easier on your shoulder for sure. I bought that type of gun because there are times I will shoot 125 rounds in a row Trap Shooting. The 870 would certainly beat-up my shoulder with that many rounds.

I guess it depends on the gun you are shooting #00 buckshot from. I was shooting mine out of a Saiga-12 which is a semi auto and had a nice kick, but very comfy. If you had an over/under or a side by side or a pump style gun, you will certainly feel more of the punch with one of those.

I have used a Remmington 870 and 1100 and the 1100 is much easier on your shoulder for sure. I bought that type of gun because there are times I will shoot 125 rounds in a row Trap Shooting. The 870 would certainly beat-up my shoulder with that many rounds.

Ah, makes sense - if you are shooting plenty then semi is the way to go. I personally don't mind the kick (I tried other full size pumps) but bought low recoil shells in case my wife need to shoot it. I just bought a Maverick 88. I guess its still going to be too much for her if she's shooting 20 shells.

Whenever I hear someone pontificate about recoil I always thing of what Herger the Joyous said in that movie: "The 13th warrior:"

"Grow stronger!"

Great quote. An excellent and underrated movie. In my top 10 for sure.