lunker

Is a 28 gauge enough gun?

I like the idea of a light, easy handling shotgun for the field (I have a Lightweight Rem 1100 Mag 20 gauge). I have been intrigued with the idea of buying a nice O/U in 28 gauge. I can get a good deal on a used Browning Gran Lightning and also on a new Ruger Red Label.The Browning Citori is a really nice gun and it uses a smaller frame for the 20 and 28 gauges (The full size 12 receiver feels a little brick-ish for me). The Ruger Red Label has a different smaller receivers for each of the sub gauges, with the 28gauge being a nice 6.5 lb shotgun.

I go out for farm raised pheasant and chukkar, but hunting wild birds is in my future. I want to be humane though. I have read reports about people simply injuring birds when using sub-gauges, specifically 28 and 410 gauge. I don't know if that is because they took shots beyond the caliber's effective range (about 35 yards for a 28 gauge with a modified/full choke), or if the caliber is not sufficient for the task. I have read where some people say the 28gauge is a Dove and Quail gun, but that's it. I have also read that it is good for any upland birds. Should I stick with 20 gauge as a better do-it-all hunting gun? I am not interested (at this point) in having multiple upland bird guns. Any thoughts?

I like the idea of a light, easy handling shotgun for the field (I have a Lightweight Rem 1100 Mag 20 gauge). I have been intrigued with the idea of buying a nice O/U in 28 gauge. I can get a good deal on a used Browning Gran Lightning and also on a new Ruger Red Label.The Browning Citori is a really nice gun and it uses a smaller frame for the 20 and 28 gauges (The full size 12 receiver feels a little brick-ish for me). The Ruger Red Label has a different smaller receivers for each of the sub gauges, with the 28gauge being a nice 6.5 lb shotgun.

I go out for farm raised pheasant and chukkar, but hunting wild birds is in my future. I want to be humane though. I have read reports about people simply injuring birds when using sub-gauges, specifically 28 and 410 gauge. I don't know if that is because they took shots beyond the caliber's effective range (about 35 yards for a 28 gauge with a modified/full choke), or if the caliber is not sufficient for the task. I have read where some people say the 28gauge is a Dove and Quail gun, but that's it. I have also read that it is good for any upland birds. Should I stick with 20 gauge as a better do-it-all hunting gun? I am not interested (at this point) in having multiple upland bird guns. Any thoughts?

I used to hunt a lot of pheasant back in Ohio. I used a side by side 20 gauge. I don't think I would be comfortable with anything smaller. The issue isn't so much that the gun won't kill it...it's when you don't get a good clean shot that you want to have enough pellets to get the job done. I had birds still breathing every once in a while when I arrived to pick 'em up. When I started using a 12ga, that NEVER happened. Once maybe. Part of it was becoming a better shot, but also getting more pellets on target.

The 28 ga. is more than capable when used within its limitations. It's the perfect grouse & woodcock gauge with its standard payload of 3/4 oz. of the appropriate shot size. And it's a good gauge for dove and quail too. And it's adequate for larger game birds like pheasant when hunted over pointing or close-flushing bird dogs. Most wounding of game comes from the use of inadequate shot size or picking the wrong "presentation" time when pulling the trigger on flying, fleeing game birds. "Wild" game birds like pheasants, huns and prairie chickens out West offer tougher and longer shots than what you'll encounter when hunting farm-raised birds around here.

Ammo makers (Federal) added a 1 oz. loading to their 28 ga. offerings a while ago in an effort to make the 28 ga. more capable for large gamebirds like pheasant, but I don't think it's cataloged anymore. When compared to the 20 ga., comparable loads cost more when found the 28 ga. boxes.

Frame sizes on double guns are comparable in size when comparing the 20 ga. and 28 ga. (Beretta does offer a "baby frame," but only in their higher grade O/U doubles. The "baby frame" is the true frame size for the 28 ga. and .410. Standard grade Beretta's like the 686 share the same frame between the 20 ga. and the 28 ga.) The Browning 20 ga. frame compared to the Beretta 20 gr. frame is a skosh taller but it also narrower than the Beretta's. The Ruger O/U weighs a half pound more than it should be for an upland shotgun in 28 ga. A Beretta 28 ga. will weigh less than 6 lbs, Browning Citori's will be at 6 lbs., Ruger's are heavier.

I think the 28 ga. is a nice gauge, but the 20 ga. is more versatile. You can always load down the 20 ga. to 3/4 oz. loads if you want to shoot lighter loads. I use these at times in early season when just hunting woodcock. If you want an O/U, I would recommend a 20 ga. over a 28 ga.

A couple of good reads from Chuck Hawks -

The 28 gauge

Why Your Shotgun Throws the Wrong Pattern

If you are not very experienced bird hunter i would stick with a 20 ga.

my brother shoots 28 gauge when we go pheasant hunting and does well but acasionaly needs a back up.. :icon_mrgreen:

I have shot single barrell 410 pheasant hunting and 3 in mags are a definate, shot one perched in a tree good head shot and nothing, second shot knocked him out of the tree dog picked him up.. shot one right after that knocked it down went to pick it up and it took off flying had to shoot it again and the dog grabbed it running on the ground good wing shot took it out but ran like a bugger..needless to say that ended my 410 debut.. went back to the benelli 20 gauge montefeltro... 5.6 lbs!!!

If you are not very experienced bird hunter i would stick with a 20 ga.

:good:

Pheasants have that reputation of being able to absorb marginal hits and still fly a long distance or run like Usain Bolt. A good dog helps. Get on the bird quick and an ounce of 6's should drop any pheasant.

It's not a particular gauge that's effective on birds, for everyone has their favorites based on experience. The appropriate load and choke combination fired within its effective range is more important than what gauge is used. Yes, a 12 ga. will make you an omnipotent pheasant-smiter. But hit a bird square at 10 yards with a heavy load and there's nothing left for supper that night. :hunter:

great for quail and close pheasant hunting over pointing dogs doves.I wouldnt take it to north dakota for the trip of a life time.more than other gauges the ammo will make or break you golden pheasant is worth every penny I like all 3 28s I have and im looking for a double.the draw backs are the guns and ammo cost more