Midwest

New member from Kentucky

New here, I live in Kentucky. I have friends who live in Northern NJ and have been there several times. Lot of great food places there that we don't have here, although we do have White Castle. I like the idea of those Enterprise Zones where sales taxes are half of the State Rate. And the gas prices have to be the lowest in the Nation.

I find it interesting on how the laws vary from state to state. I been studying the developments in the gun laws through out the U.S. and elsewhere over the years before 1968 GCA till now. I'm not a lawyer or anything. Just Pro 2A and a bit of a historian.

I enjoy the forums, keep up the good work!

New here, I live in Kentucky. I have friends who live in Northern NJ and have been there several times. Lot of great food places there that we don't have here, although we do have White Castle. I like the idea of those Enterprise Zones where sales taxes are half of the State Rate. And the gas prices have to be the lowest in the Nation.

NJ makes up for all of the "nice" things with so many other wallops to the head it's not even funny. Check out our property taxes for instance.

I never been to Kart Kountry (sounds interesting).

Not near California, I think that is over in Campbell Co.

Taxes, I heard a bit about the property taxes in NJ. I guess we pay about $1300 per year. And it all depends if one lives in an incorporated area or not. They have property on tax vehicles, if you have older vehicles...its under $100 per vehicle and that includes the registration. We don't have e-check ( no emissions check here) or vehicle inspection. Go to the county building for vehicle renewal, pay the fee and that is it. There are no toll roads around here either.

I never been to Kart Kountry (sounds interesting).

Not near California, I think that is over in Campbell Co.

Taxes, I heard a bit about the property taxes in NJ. I guess we pay about $1300 per year. And it all depends if one lives in an incorporated area or not. They have property on tax vehicles, if you have older vehicles...its under $100 per vehicle and that includes the registration. We don't have e-check ( no emissions check here) or vehicle inspection. Go to the county building for vehicle renewal, pay the fee and that is it. There are no toll roads around here either.

Yeah - my property taxes are about 8.5 times HIGHER than yours. Sure, we don't have those vehicle taxes, but...

If one lives in an unincorporated area, like here there are no city taxes. The county taxes a certain rate per dollar for school, library, firehouse, PVA, county farm extension department. We also have to pay separately for trash pickup, there are two companies to chose from. There is the water bill and a sewage bill to pay. I'm guessing that houses are worth more in NJ and perhaps some of those are city taxes as well as county taxes. Do they break down the assessments per dollar of tax?

Welcome!

If one lives in an unincorporated area, like here there are no city taxes. The county taxes a certain rate per dollar for school, library, firehouse, PVA, county farm extension department. We also have to pay separately for trash pickup, there are two companies to chose from. There is the water bill and a sewage bill to pay. I'm guessing that houses are worth more in NJ and perhaps some of those are city taxes as well as county taxes. Do they break down the assessments per dollar of tax?

I pay $7200/yr in prop taxes for my home, then pay a private company for trash collection, then pay the township for water, then pay the township for sewer.

Lot of great food places there that we don't have here, although we do have White Castle.

I just want to point out that NJ, does in fact have White Castle. It was a staple in my fraternity while I was going to school in Newark.

My friends were mentioning proposals to combine city and county services to lower taxes. I have not heard anything since, it sounded like a good idea.

I mentioned I have been looking at the firearms laws including laws before the 1968 GCA. Tennessee used to have a 15 day waiting period to buy a pistol. California had a requirement to go to the Sheriff to get a permit to buy a handgun and had a 3 day waiting period supposedly before the 1968 GCA.

I found something interesting on another site that said in 1947, NJ had a Constitutional Convention where the Second Amendment was left out of the new constitution by mistake.

"I find it embarrassing to explain that, for practical purposes, the Second Amendment does not really apply to New Jersey. Delegates to the 1947 New Jersey Constitutional Convention believed that the right of the people to keep and bear arms was so obvious and universally accepted that they did not include it the wording in our state Constitution - a presumptive error of epic proportions."

http://conservativenewjersey.com/handguns-banned-in-new-jersey

My question, is this true? Did the omission help make the 1966 NJ FID law easier to pass? Has there been a proposal to put the Second Amendment back in the constitution of NJ? Would it make it a difference if the constitution was changed to reflect the second amendment? And could it change the current "FID/PP" requirements and 'May Issue' in anyway? Since I don't live in NJ, I readily admit I don't know all the facts.

Thanks again for welcoming me to the forum.

I just want to point out that NJ, does in fact have White Castle. It was a staple in my fraternity while I was going to school in Newark.

Yes correct, I should have reworded that we have White Castle in addition to the NY/NJ Metro area. Also we have no real pizzeria's here, just the chain stores like Domino's, Snappy and Big John's. I prefer NY style Pizza that is made there. There are no places that feature NY/NJ Pizza here. Though there is a place in Orlando FL area I was told. Snappy Pizza here offers Chicago Pizza style though, it is thick like a cake...yuk. We do not have diners here either. They might have one or two in Cincinnati. I like the Hot Grill in Clifton NJ, nothing like that here unfortunately. Though we do have Skyline and GoldStar Chili and "Cheese Coneys".

My friends were mentioning proposals to combine city and county services to lower taxes. I have not heard anything since, it sounded like a good idea.

I mentioned I have been looking at the firearms laws including laws before the 1968 GCA. Tennessee used to have a 15 day waiting period to buy a pistol. California had a requirement to go to the Sheriff to get a permit to buy a handgun and had a 3 day waiting period supposedly before the 1968 GCA.

I found something interesting on another site that said in 1947, NJ had a Constitutional Convention where the Second Amendment was left out of the new constitution by mistake.

"I find it embarrassing to explain that, for practical purposes, the Second Amendment does not really apply to New Jersey. Delegates to the 1947 New Jersey Constitutional Convention believed that the right of the people to keep and bear arms was so obvious and universally accepted that they did not include it the wording in our state Constitution - a presumptive error of epic proportions." I've heard this, but I can't say for sure it's true.

http://conservativenewjersey.com/handguns-banned-in-new-jersey

My question, is this true? Did the omission help make the 1966 NJ FID law easier to pass? Has there been a proposal to put the Second Amendment back in the constitution of NJ? Would it make it a difference if the constitution was changed to reflect the second amendment? And could it change the current "FID/PP" requirements and 'May Issue' in anyway? Since I don't live in NJ, I readily admit I don't know all the facts.

I think there are better odds of seeing Obama stridently pushing to repeal the NFA and GCA than the liberal majority in NJ even suggesting they would look at considering anything that could possibly be even remotely pro 2A.

Thanks again for welcoming me to the forum.

Yes correct, I should have reworded that we have White Castle in addition to the NY/NJ Metro area. Also we have no real pizzeria's here, just the chain stores like Domino's, Snappy and Big John's. I prefer NY style Pizza that is made there. There are no places that feature NY/NJ Pizza here. Though there is a place in Orlando FL area I was told. Snappy Pizza here offers Chicago Pizza style though, it is thick like a cake...yuk. We do not have diners here either. They might have one or two in Cincinnati. I like the Hot Grill in Clifton NJ, nothing like that here unfortunately. Though we do have Skyline and GoldStar Chili and "Cheese Coneys".

I was in Louisville last year for a trade show, and I would have to agree the food choices were terrible - at least where I was staying. I had to drive a couple miles to a Chili's to eat something that was not fastfood.

+1

My mother loves it and has forced me to take her there a few times.

My father-in-law just had to go and eat there. Well, that was horrible. I'd rather eat at Olive Garden than that yuck-joint!