Well the countdown to the new press in in the final stages and I am getting supplies to start reloading, by weeks end :dancing: .

I am at the point that I am looking at a selection of powders to have on hand. I am starting with .40 S&W but down the road I will be adding 9MM and 45ACP to my list of calibers I will be reloading.

I am new and not looking at going with crazy loads, I have 3 different reloading handbook's and a about 6 different web sites saved for load data. After talking with a few people who reload out west I am looking at starting with 3 different powders to have on hand.

I am looking at having Titegroup and W321 but have had many recommendations for VV N320. I do plan on starting at the low end of the load recommendations and am looking to stay right at 130-135 PF for 40 Minor and 170 for Major.

What I am wondering are these 3 powders versatile enough for each PF and is the N320 really that much nicer to shoot over the others as I have been told, it's not that it's priced higher than what I want to spend but was really wondering if it's worth close to twice the price of the other 2.

Harry

I use w231 often and to be honest it's on the low end of the recoil scale. I don't like it in the .45acp round as it seems to be powdery when shot.

I have shot win wsf and that seems to be more inline with what a regular rounds feels like. I recently loaded up some Alliance powder but haven't shot it.

Harry,

I switched over to N320 from WSF when coming to nationals. I would say it is worth it. Damn clean, makes PF easily (made 169 pf at nationals, 180 grain bullet, 40 cal, 5.1grains). Best plus, it is consistent to weather changes.

WSF, like W231 was great, and I still prefer it for regular range sessions, for 45 cal, and not bad at all for 9mm. HOWEVER, it is not consistent, and shooting it in the summer, you will not likely make PF if you loaded it and chrono'ed it in the winter. I made that mistake and went minor at Area 8. Alternative is to load it hot.

The recoil impulse is less snappy per say, especially in 45 cal vs 231, as it is a slightly slower burning powder. W231 is great, and a slightly faster burning powder. However apparently it is still weather sensitive, and in particular, inverse sensitive, the hotter it is, the weaker it shoots.

(just my very brief reloading experience).

I have some WSF and N320 for you to try if you want.

I have only reloaded about 900 rounds so far with al cheapo Lee Classic in 9mm. I started with HS-6 and that was a very good poweder loaded at the starting load with 124 grain hollow points. Then I got the WSF that everyone seems to like. Maks review aside the wsf runs through my powered dispenser much better than the HS-6. I felyt like I got much more consistant loads with it and after a while stopped weighing each load.

Not earth shattering info, but I thought I would share

Maks review aside the wsf runs through my powered dispenser much better than the WSF. I felyt like I got much more consistant loads with it and after a while stopped weighing each load.

Not earth shattering info, but I thought I would share

heh?

WSF runs more consistently than WSF?

Thanks folks, Maks appreciate the offer but having 1# of something to try out before I get 4# or 8# containers is easy enough, plus think of it this way, if I do pick up a 1# container and I really don't like it or find something I like better I'll see if someone else wants it as a gift from me. I might even have a way to get some from PA and have a friend pick it up and drop it off at my pad when they come to visit.

Odd, I mentioned Titegroup and not one comment here and just this last weekend I had about 6 or 7 people mention they liked that the best at the OBRAMS match. They did say that it's fast and burns pretty clean but between the low gr it's very important to double and triple check the charge, but also said it meters well in the L-n-L_AP as well as Lee and Dillon.

Harry

I use Titegroup for IDPA .40 loads. 3.6gr with 180gr FMJ's, very soft. I never chroned it but I'm confident I'm over 125PF. I think i could even go lower and still make 125 but I'd need a new recoil spring.

3.6 fills the cases a little less than half IIRC...i think you'd notice a double charge pretty easily.

In 40s&w (major and minor) and 9mm (minor, for open major I use HS-6) I use and recommend VV N320. It is consistent, clean and a pleasure to shoot.

Many people use titegroup because it is (from what they say) that it is similar in all characteristics to N320 except that it is dirtier and cheaper.

Several people I know use titegroup and they love it.

In 45acp, I use regular Hodgens Clays powder. I have loaded and shot over 30k rounds with this powder and will not change to anything else.

Using a 200gr LSWC and JHP's I used 3.5-3.7gr for a plinking load, and 4.3 for a USPSA 174pf load.

N320 is expensive and sometimes hard to find.

Titegroup is cheaper and readily available.

Clays, same as above.

In 40s&w (major and minor) and 9mm (minor, for open major I use HS-6) I use and recommend VV N320. It is consistent, clean and a pleasure to shoot.

Many people use titegroup because it is (from what they say) that it is similar in all characteristics to N320 except that it is dirtier and cheaper.

Several people I know use titegroup and they love it.

In 45acp, I use regular Hodgens Clays powder. I have loaded and shot over 30k rounds with this powder and will not change to anything else.

Using a 200gr LSWC and JHP's I used 3.5-3.7gr for a plinking load, and 4.3 for a USPSA 174pf load.

N320 is expensive and sometimes hard to find.

Titegroup is cheaper and readily available.

Clays, same as above.

Is Clays temperature sensitive? I like WST but it is temperature sensitive. I have not tested how much tempature affects it. Worst case, I have a cold weather and hot weather load.

I've tried WSF, titegroup, clays and N320 for 9mm and have settled on N320 despite its added difficulty to obtain. As others have said, its shoots softer, cleaner and cooler than the popular Titegroup so when buying in bulk, its easier to justify the minor price differential. I have also tried clays in 9mm and its actually also very soft shooting, just a little dirtier in that load than N320. I'd probably use it before titegroup if N320 weren't available and since its a very fluffy powder, its more resistant to get in to a overcharge situation.

I also hear good things about Solo 1000 but have no experience with it. If i were still in experimentation mode, i'd be inclined to try it but i already have a decent stock of powders i've settled on.

I've also used N320 in 45acp and may continue to use it there since i can standardize on one powder for both it and 9mm but i should try some clays before i settle on it since it seem to be another powder favored for the caliber but much cheaper and easier to get.

Is Clays temperature sensitive? I like WST but it is temperature sensitive. I have not tested how much tempature affects it. Worst case, I have a cold weather and hot weather load.

Not really sure Mike.

Never tested it during colder months.