NickC

The benefits of shooting with both eyes open...

Hey guys, I'm still leaning the basics and would appreciate all your advice.

Does anyone here sight their targets and/or shoot during matches with both eyes open?

Essentially, training their brain to ignore the double sight picture and trust in the dominant image only?

Is it hard to master and can it be an advantage?

A Thankful Noob

For USPSA stuff you really need to shoot with both eyes open (except for maybe the 50 yard standards kind of shots). Losing 50% of your visual field will really slow you down. Is it hard to master? That depends on the shooter. It wasn't particularly hard for me. I think about the only thing you can say definitively on difficulty is that it will be easier for some and harder for others, and that if you are cross eye dominant you still have that range, but it will be generally a bit harder.

• Like 1

In my NRA Basic Pistol course I took on Saturday, we were taught to shoot with BOTH eyes open. I guess that is the NRA's official opinion on this?

Not sure if I would that much into it. I think it depends on what you are doing and what works best for you, now fun games I can see learning with both eyes open but start shooting precision pistol and your not going to use both eyes. Plus I am not sure the NRA would have a position either way any way, but I could be wrong and will be told if I am.

Harry

• Like 1

If you want to be a serious competitor, you will learn to shoot with both eyes open. When shooting pistol, you can put a small piece of tape on your glasses on the non-dominant side. It does not have to be big as long as it is in the right place, so only your dominant eye can see the target while in position. When shooting rifle, you can use a piece of cardboard or plastic and attach it to the rear sight to block your non-dominant eye. For skeet and trap, you need both eyes. If you google Olympic pistol or Olympic rifle images, you're sure to see several examples.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Great advice given so far. I don't think I could dole out any more +1's. Only thing I have to add is that even if you learn to shoot with both eyes open, you will still develop tunnel vision every time you send lead downrange. So, it's important that whether you're practicing for competition, home/self defense, range, etc., also learn how to break that tunnel vision and scan after you're done with the initial shooting.

• Like 1

it seems when i try this at the range i do horrible. sometimes cant tell which sight i am looking at .

First, do you need glasses? (no, honestly, are street signs starting to get fuzzy and such?) If yes, try getting prescription glasses and WEARING them. You need to see properly to shoot well. (But what about when the SHTF in the middle of the night and I can't see? Well first don't shoot people you can't identify, but you probably want to learn to point shoot, which reauires you to learn how to shoot well and consistently so you HAVE an index to point shoot from.... Stop making excuses if you need glasses. Just get them.).

Something to try, you don't even need to go to the range to do it, just remember to practice safety properly while dry firing (NO AMMO in or around anything you are practicing with PERIOD). Basically pick up our pistol and get a decent grip with both hands on it like you would to shoot and get your natural point of aim on some object or target. A post it with a black circle on it or similar should be sufficient. Something small. Now, bring the gun straight back into your chest and hold it there. Push it out to your natural point of aim with both eyes open a couple times to get a feel down for it. Now repeat with only your dominant eye open being sure to get the sights lined up well, and to get the image of the right sight picture set in your head. Now go back to doing it both eyes open, and when you do, try to keep your mind focused on the correct image of your sights. Start doing all this in slow motion. Do a few one want, alternate, and repeat. Anytime it feels like you are making progress, do a presentation with both eyes open and close your non dominant eye to check if you are getting it right. As you start getting better, speed it up. You are basically trying to teach your brain to focus on the correct image and that your dominant eye is leading the show wiht authority when you are shooting pistol.

When shooting any long gun I can easily use both eyes especially with optics. Iron sights on a pistol, I can't figure it out. Im cross eye dominant and refuse to use my dominant eye shooting strong side.

Assuming you are right handed and left eyed. Try using your dominant eye for pistol, just try doing it by touching your right ear to your right shoulder. Plenty of good shooters use that technique.

• Like 2

Its not a problem using my right eye at all. I feel comfortable. When I open the left im screwed lol.

yes, but if you try a technique that allows you to use your left, you may not be screwed. I'm not cross eye dominat, so I can't assure you it works, but I see too many good shooters who are using it with success that I can't imagine it sucks for the majority of shooters.

Thanks raz-o. I'll try that. The obliging I wear glasses is shooting. I have pretty gold vision but not perfect

Uhm, I don't know if that means you do or don't wear glasses. I don't think you typed what you think you typed. :)

Even if you have good vision, if you are having trouble with aiming without putting a LOT of concentration into it, you might have a minor astigmatism that involves the sweet spot of where you want the sights to be when shooting. In that instance, you might need only a teeny bit of correction, but it makes a huge world of difference in this particular activity while being negligible in most of your daily life.

I have the problem of cross dominance, (right handed, but left eye dominant) so I have a tendency to just close my left eye. I can shoot with both eyes open if I just turn my head, but this seems to upset NRA instructors. The NRA recomended is to shoot with the hand of the dominant eye. But, I choose not to do that; it's too unnatural for me.

I have taken NRA pistol and rifle. In both courses I was instructed to shoot lefty because of this. However, outside of those courses I ignore that advice. My shooting is just fine.