slmnhlff

Advice

I live in northern New Jersey, and my 12 year old has wanted to go shooting for a while, but due to NJ's poor gun rental policies, I find the best [relatively nearby] options for rental to exist in Pennsylvania. I do not own a gun and I don't have any shooting experience, but he has a knowledge on the subject far above the average non-shooter's. I was wondering if there were any closer options, such as an instructional class or something - somewhere to shoot. Thanks.

-S

There are plenty of options.

1. Have you tried calling the the shops? Shore Shot and Brick Armory both rent.

2. Contact the various instructors up north, there are plenty of them, GAPP, ShootNJ, Gun for Hire, and speak with them about taking a basic class. Not only will you learn about gun ownership, you will also have plenty of live fire excercise.

Maks has you covered but also take a look at some of the threads about trap shooting, there were a few good deals for classes just recently posted here on the forum if you wanted to try that. As far as handguns I'll second SS as the place to go, don't forget to mention your a forum member for our discount.

Harry

You should both take an NRA Basic class (rifle, shotgun or pistol - depending on what he wants to shoot). The class teaches the fundimentals of shooting and has range time where you get to learn and apply the fundimentals. It would also be a cool thing for you both to do together. You don't need a gun for the class.

As an instructor I will tell you that I have met kids from non shooting backgrounds that think they know what they are doing but lack the necessary safety knowlege and basic fundimentals.

Take the class. Spend quality time together. Then you both know what to do when you do go rent guns.

• Like 1

Depending on how far north you are, you can check out the Firing Line in Pearl River, NY. I believe they rent. I've never been there but I know it's just across the NJ/NY border. In NJ, Shore Shot is probably your best best for renting. They have a good selection and you can get a NJGF member discount on range time.

Thanks to all posters. If anything, I need that instructional class. He is really quite safety-conscious and knowledgeable. He's also into history and development of firearms. Quite strange. Again, thank you all very much. We will definitely be instructed.

Knowledgeable as you think your son may be - he's still 12. Unless he is vastly different from most 12 yo, his knowledge may be based off of Call of Duty, Battlefield, youTube, and other versions of media. I'm not saying that's the case, but if you do not have firearms experience then take a class, period. Do not for one second think that his being safety-conscious is sufficient, as it takes only a fraction of one second for the unthinkable to occur.

With that out of the way. Welcome to shooting! I hope it becomes a hobby the two of you can enjoy together. :icon_mrgreen:

• Like 1

Knowledgeable as you think your son may be - he's still 12. Unless he is vastly different from most 12 yo, his knowledge may be based off of Call of Duty, Battlefield, youTube, and other versions of media. I'm not saying that's the case, but if you do not have firearms experience then take a class, period. Do not for one second think that his being safety-conscious is sufficient, as it takes only a fraction of one second for the unthinkable to occur.

With that out of the way. Welcome to shooting! I hope it becomes a hobby the two of you can enjoy together. :icon_mrgreen:

Funny that you say that - I find him to get quite ticked off and sarcastic when his classmates make statements that falsely associate Call of Duty weapons' traits to the traits of their real life counterparts. I would never let him shoot without instruction, whether he needs it or not. On the other hand if someone put a gun in my hands, I'd be absolutely clueless :). Thanks.

Check out sunsethill shooting range in pa. Just over the border of rt 80. After a basic nra course I would go there with him. They make sure you do everything correct plus you can try out tons of pistols and rifles and shotguns. Its a bit expensive but worth it for the first time.

Thanks to all posters. If anything, I need that instructional class. He is really quite safety-conscious and knowledgeable. He's also into history and development of firearms. Quite strange. Again, thank you all very much. We will definitely be instructed.

www.nrainstructors.org is a good place to start. Look into local ranges, many have instructors that are either on staff or associated with the range.