satrnfreak

Glock 17 mag question..

Hey, a friend of mine who is an officer has some Glock mags left from when he used to be issued a Glock as a side arm. They are the 17 round kind and hence illegal for me. Is there anyway to modify them to just accept 15 that is legal?? Someone posted that Mastodon does this, would I have to mail them, or just have him drive them up there with me?? Thnx for the help....

You can glue metal plates to each side to restrict the follower from going past the 15rd mark, but this has to be done out of state. I have a tutorial on my home computer wait if you want PM me and I'll send it to you. It's simple stuff and with gorila glue it wont move.

I'm experimenting with something similar to what Darkmagik described, but am using blind pins in lieu of glue and metal plates. I hope to have my prototype completed next month... sucks having to do the work in a car in PA though and I leave the mags out there at my range locker.

I'm experimenting with something similar to what Darkmagik described, but am using blind pins in lieu of glue and metal plates. I hope to have my prototype completed next month... sucks having to do the work in a car in PA though and I leave the mags out there at my range locker.

I would be worse to do it while on a hunting trip out in the rain.

I would be worse to do it while on a hunting trip out in the rain.

Thing is getting the measurements and the hole drilled properly. A drill press could easily do the job. Nice thing about this is that you can still take the mag apart to clean it, and the body is perm. modified. Especially if you epoxy the holed that the pins were inserted into.

If you weld a part on the bottom then it is also permanently modified. There are a couple ways to make it work, but it all takes alot fo time, patience, and percision work.

But then you can't disassemble it. Once I figure it out, I'll post on it. Maybe even make a few for those who want to buy one and not do all the work.

Thnx guys, thinking I'm gonna do this too.... but seriously drive to PA and work in your car??? LoL, that's a good one. I'll just work on them in his house... LoL. After they are modified to only hold 15 there is no trouble you can get into correct??? I was actually thinking of soldering two empty cases together, and figuring them to the bottom of the clip that pushes the ammo up. But if you looked in the sight holes it would look like 17 rounds....

It may look like 17 rounds I wouldn't do it. Wait until later for me to post the tutorial. Although,I was once stopped by an LEO and he did check my magazine to see if it only held 15 rounds and he pushed on my rounds and saw no space then unloaded the whole magazine and saw only 15 round hence it was a modified magazine and during the whole time I smiled and was thinking yea now what I was legal and you looked dumb. The magazine only held 15 rounds since it was modified to only hold that many rounds.

It may look like 17 rounds I wouldn't do it. Wait until later for me to post the tutorial. Although,I did once run into an LEO and he did check my magazine to see if it only held 15 rounds and he pushed on my rounds and saw no space then unloaded the whole magazine and saw only 15 round and during the whole time I smiled and was thinking yea now what I was legal and you looked dumb.

When/where was this, if you don't mind sharing?

Thnx guys, thinking I'm gonna do this too.... but seriously drive to PA and work in your car??? LoL, that's a good one. I'll just work on them in his house... LoL. After they are modified to only hold 15 there is no trouble you can get into correct??? I was actually thinking of soldering two empty cases together, and figuring them to the bottom of the clip that pushes the ammo up. But if you looked in the sight holes it would look like 17 rounds....

Here is the problem... any possession by you, of unmodified mags in NJ is a crime. The reason why other posters speak about modifying mags in their cars or what not, is that they would buy them at a shop or a gunshow in PA or wherever, and PERMANENTLY MODIFY those mags before coming with them to NJ. You cannot take possession of them in NJ, and go with them to get them modified. Once again, we are not arguing the intent or the purpose of the law, but rather the law itself.

Secondly, I am not familiar at all with LEO exemption, but is he really allowed to have high cap mags for a gun he is not currently using in his line of duty?

How many mags are we talking about? 10? if it is just a mag or two, is it worth all the hassle? Either buy 10 rounders, or have your buddy ship them to Paul (PK90) and have them do it. I guess it all comes down to what do you value your time.

Same with AR mags, is it worth wasting your time instead of just buying them from Midwest PX or Paul already done? At the very least, if you have any issues, you can point to someone, instead of trying to explain... "I went to a gun show in PA, bought mags, sat in my car trying to modify them, before bringing them into the state."

• Like 1

Here is the problem... any possession by you, of unmodified mags in NJ is a crime. The reason why other posters speak about modifying mags in their cars or what not, is that they would buy them at a shop or a gunshow in PA or wherever, and PERMANENTLY MODIFY those mags before coming with them to NJ. You cannot take possession of them in NJ, and go with them to get them modified. Once again, we are not arguing the intent or the purpose of the law, but rather the law itself.

Secondly, I am not familiar at all with LEO exemption, but is he really allowed to have high cap mags for a gun he is not currently using in his line of duty?

How many mags are we talking about? 10? if it is just a mag or two, is it worth all the hassle? Either buy 10 rounders, or have your buddy ship them to Paul (PK90) and have them do it. I guess it all comes down to what do you value your time.

Same with AR mags, is it worth wasting your time instead of just buying them from Midwest PX or Paul already done? At the very least, if you have any issues, you can point to someone, instead of trying to explain... "I went to a gun show in PA, bought mags, sat in my car trying to modify them, before bringing them into the state."

While AR mags are easily found (MPX and PK90) Glock 15 rounders are not... so for someone like me looking to get a G17 and make the most of it, getting 2 mags at a time and modifying them in PA before bringing them into NJ works for me...

Sweet thing is, I can use my G19 mags to make the measurements needed, prep the parts here and bring ready to assemble pieces to PA to epoxy in. :)

While AR mags are easily found (MPX and PK90) Glock 15 rounders are not... so for someone like me looking to get a G17 and make the most of it, getting 2 mags at a time and modifying them in PA before bringing them into NJ works for me...

Sweet thing is, I can use my G19 mags to make the measurements needed, prep the parts here and bring ready to assemble pieces to PA to epoxy in. :)

Absolutely, some are a tad tougher to find. I did have conversations with Ty @ midwest about offering pistol mags.

I know a Glock 17 mag will work in a glock 19, but wouldn't it work the opposite way too?

Nope. Glock 17 grip is longer than that of a Glock 19... so a G19 15 rounder won't fit into a 17... just like a Glock 26 magazine won't fit into a Glock 19 or Glock 17.

Being the clip retainer is the same between 17 and 19, any feasible way of lengthening a 19 clip?? Would be an easier route as you can order them at any local gun shop, and wouldn't have to drive to PA.

That is an idea that can work, you may be able to take the existing baseplate and size it just small enough to clear the mag-well and to make up the difference in length add some sort of extension to the base plate.

By the way it's a MAGAZINE not a clip.

Harry

It would be easier (although more permenent...) to chop your grip. If you really need the extra grip length that the 17 offers, get magazine extensions for your glock 19 mags and tada, a custom NJ friendly glock :) Also would be good for IWB carry since barrel length doesnt matter nearly as much as grip length.

It would be easier (although more permenent...) to chop your grip. If you really need the extra grip length that the 17 offers, get magazine extensions for your glock 19 mags and tada, a custom NJ friendly glock :) Also would be good for IWB carry since barrel length doesnt matter nearly as much as grip length.

I hate modifying pistols in such a way. Modding the magazine is much easier, especially given the above advertised method.