msg73

Formula for reloading 40S&W minor/major power factor?

I don't have access to a chrono so for those that reload 40S&W, what forumula do you use for minor power factor (~128-130 PF) and major power factor (~168-170 PF)? Bullet weight and amount/type of powder. I'm thinking of getting into reloading and would like to get some opinions on what to get to achieve the minimum power factor for minor and major.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike,

I have been getting my data through friends and the guys at Brian Enos website. Here is a direct link:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showforum=4

They even post the type of bullets used and in what type of gun.

I wanted to start reloading myself but a couple of friends have been doing it for me for now until I get enough information so I don't have a recipe to provide you directly.

Ryan

I'll second Brian Enos's website, also I would suggest to pick up a few books on reloading, Lyman's, ABC's, Speer etc and read, read read and ask questions, here and at Brian's forum. I just got into reloading and I'll say, it is a hobby within a hobby as you will see others posting.

I'm too new to really give any tips but will try and answer any questions you have as the other around here do also.

Harry

You still have to chrono them somewhere, preferably, not at a major match. :sarcastichand:

Here are my "tested" major loads.

5.1 Grains of VV N320 under a 180 grain Precision Delta FMJ - 170 pf at Nationals & Locally

6.0 Grains of WSF under 180 grain Precision Delta FMJ - 172 pf locally. (temperature sensitive)

If you need to borrow a chrono, feel free to come down to a local match or post. Everyone needs a reason to go shoot.

You still have to chrono them somewhere, preferably, not at a major match. :sarcastichand:

5.1 Grains of VV N320 under a 180 grain Precision Delta FMJ - 170 pf at Nationals & Locally

6.0 Grains of WSF under 180 grain Precision Delta FMJ - 172 pf locally. (temperature sensitive)

If you need to borrow a chrono, feel free to come down to a local match or post. Everyone needs a reason to go shoot.

Just to reinforce the point, I get a 170 PF with a Montana Gold 180g, CMJ and 5.4g of WSF and 70 degree temps in my Glock 24 with a 6" KKM barrel.

I'm nto fond of that list. It is old. Pretty much EVERYTHING I have tried that is on that list doesn't agree with the results found there by a good bit. I think mostly because the bullets, even if the same make and model may have changed, and the powders definitely have. It's a useful tool for some guesstimating, but I wouldn't use it in place of a chrono.

What's the OAL with the N320? Most use at least 1.170" and some going to 1.20" or even longer. My Glock mag limits me to 1.135".

I load 1.140

My mags will not reliably feed beyond that. Book stated min oal at 1.12 or so.

Sti, svi guys load long to feed reliably in their mags, shorter and you have nosedives iirc.

I thought .40 S&W Min OAL I though was 1.085 with most loads used around 1.120 and up to max or Long load like you said for the STI/SVI guns. Even though I have yet to see too many below the 1.20 OAL.

I load 1.140

My mags will not reliably feed beyond that. Book stated min oal at 1.12 or so.

Sti, svi guys load long to feed reliably in their mags, shorter and you have nosedives iirc.

You only get nose dives with shorter rounds if your barrel is not fit properly, or you are trying to get maximum mag capacity bu using wafer thin followers. Sometimes even then they work. Most load long to be able to load fast powders that feel as light as possible. 4.7gr of titegorup in a 1.130 lengtth 180gr .40 round feels different than a 1.20 length .40 with the same charge.

BUt I run 1.135 OAL in my STI all the time without issue. 1.125-1.135 will work in nealry every factory .40 that I have run into. A couple will prefer 1.130 as the high end if you plan on getting your mags real dirty.

I have a bunch of major and minor .40 loads, more than I feel like transcribing here, so to the OP, what gun with what length barrel, I probably have a recipe.

Thank you Matt. I really don't know much about the STI/SVI platform. =)

1.135 vs 1.2 feels that different eh?

DEpending on the powder, yes. Most fast powders are pretty sensitive to case volume changes, some more than others. For example, with titegroup, if your gun isn't really heavy,somewhere around 4.5gr-4.6gr at 1.125 with a 180gr bullet, it starts to have this extra smack into the palm of your hand like you are whacking something hard with a hammer. That's my best description. But suffice it to say it is a bit of a twangy feeling in the tendons that let you know if you shoot that load in high volume, you'll be working on some form of tendinitis. At 1.2 if you are daring you can make a major load using clays. At the usual book length of 1.125, you can blow up your gun using the exact same charge. Although case head separation is probably more common.

Something slower and less position dependent like universal clays? You'll see some velocity differences, but it won't really feel that much different going from 1.125-1.175 (at least that's the range I tried).

Also, some powders get much louder the closer you get to a compressed load. Which can dramatically change the perceived recoil.

Long loads in a 2011 gloss over some QC issues in a build, helps play the role of the stabilizing portion of the follower you shaved off for that 20-21 round reloadable mag, and for most powders let you get major power factor with a softer feeling recoil. Since most of the most experienced folks regarding the platform and caliber combination are trying to work up a load that runs across all their 2011s and is as gamey as possible, it's sort of become common (if not actually true) wisdom that they don't work with shorter loads.

You only get nose dives with shorter rounds if your barrel is not fit properly, or you are trying to get maximum mag capacity bu using wafer thin followers. Sometimes even then they work. Most load long to be able to load fast powders that feel as light as possible. 4.7gr of titegorup in a 1.130 lengtth 180gr .40 round feels different than a 1.20 length .40 with the same charge.

BUt I run 1.135 OAL in my STI all the time without issue. 1.125-1.135 will work in nealry every factory .40 that I have run into. A couple will prefer 1.130 as the high end if you plan on getting your mags real dirty.

I have a bunch of major and minor .40 loads, more than I feel like transcribing here, so to the OP, what gun with what length barrel, I probably have a recipe.

I have an M&P 40FS 4.25" barrel. Thanks

I loaded some .40's for production and I used win231, 4.6gn. This was as light as shooting a factory 9mm round. I have to see what I used as the oal. I keep track of everything I load and usually put notes to it's characteristics.

Ok here are some loads from my 4.25" m&p 40

Some are with the stock barrel, some with a storm lake, which is faster.

5.0gr universal clays 1.130 nominal oal 180gr berry's plated 180gr round nose double struck = 921.8fps av/ 165.9 pf at 45f range temp.

That was over 10 rounds. Over 20 it was 165.1pf with a sd of 17.7

4.5gr uc was 149pf

4.0 uc was 124pf

All same day, same conditions, storm lake barrel

185gr precision moly coated lead over 4.5 gr of titegroup was 925.5fps, 171pf indoors at about 50-60f. Sd=11.9. This was storm lake barrel.

1.33 nominal oal.

This next bunch was on the stock barrel at 30f temps. The titegroup will speed up in warmer temps.

180 berry's 3.5gr tg, 1.130 oal. 111.7pf (functions w 13lb recoil spring)

180 berry's 4.0gr tg 1.130 oal. 124.8 pf

180 berry's 4.5gr tg 1.135 oal. 146pf

180 precision delta 4.5gr tg 1.140 oal 144 pf

185 precision moly coated. 4.5 gr tg 1.162 oal 159.1 pf

165gr precision delta. 3.5 gr tg 1.130 oal. 137.5pf. No listed temp. Storm lake barrel.

This is a nice minor load.

This next bunch was on a 72f day.

Berry's 180 plated. 4.4gr tg, 1.130 oal 164.2pf out of storm lake barrel, 163pf out of stock barrel.

Precision delta 165gr fmj 1.130 oal. 4.55gr ramshot zip 1.130 oal 126.25 out of stock. 130.35 out of storm lake.

These are at 45f storm lake barrel

Precision moly coated 170gr 1.14 oal 4.0gr zip 124.9

Precision mc 170gr 1.136 oal 3.0gr zip ~90pf. Doesn't function gun.

170gr precision mc. 1.130 oal 4.1 gr zip 130pf with taper crimp, 126.5 with lee fcd (lee factory crimp die undersizes precision moly coat , with the dillon taper crimp die this was soft shooting and very accurate. I shot a lot of this in production. )