hd2000fxdl

Occupy Atlanta

I don't think we should be laughing about this. With the impending failure of Bank of America, and considering these occupiers have support in the government, and even some corporate backers, we should be worried, because some are actually listening to these people.

someone I went to school with sent me an invite for occupy south jersey.. guess they don't realize I am one of the strange minority that does not enjoy blaming others for their problems.. I have been having a field day trying to extract the smallest amount of logic.. basically it is a huge **** fest about how unfair life is..

please view the irony..

a bunch of average people who have cell phones.. cable.. internet.. computers.. etc.. sit around and cry about how they are so poor while the rich are so rich.. can you possibly be more disconnected from reality..

GOOD

welfare (taking money from tax payers and giving it to people who produce nothing)

BAD

bailing out banks (taking money from tax payers and try to save a business that employs many)

*disclaimer I am not a fan of either

AT FAULT

banks who bought and sold mortgages and approved risky loans

NOT AT FAULT

individuals who of their own free will signed the dotted line for said mortgage..

apparently "education" is a "right"

apparently alternative energy is this huge viable thing.. but the government "keeps it down"

apparently students are being "held hostage" to loans they voluntarily took out..

it is basically a huge movement revolving around removing all personal accountability.. it is a bunch of horse **** IMO...

• Like 5

Yes that too. But something about the bundled mortgages the banks kept selling came back on the homeowners;

translation..

I can not explain that which I do not understand..

not to mention the mortgages given to people with inadequate income.

right.. it is the banks fault that YOU entered into a mortgage you could not afford..

personal accountability? what the hell is that.. :icon_e_confused:

While I agree most of the Occupy Movements smell like horse crap, there are some out there that make good, legitimate points. Its the 'figure heads' of the movement making the BS demands and giving the VERY few people that are trying a bad a name. And even the junk demands there are a couple that have merit if you change them around, and polish them up. I guess they are the proverbial diamond in a pile of crap. Eventually everyone will tire out, it'll lose momentum, and people will go home because its just not fun anymore.

While I agree most of the Occupy Movements smell like horse crap, there are some out there that make good, legitimate points. Its the 'figure heads' of the movement making the BS demands and giving the VERY few people that are trying a bad a name. And even the junk demands there are a couple that have merit if you change them around, and polish them up. I guess they are the proverbial diamond in a pile of crap. Eventually everyone will tire out, it'll lose momentum, and people will go home because its just not fun anymore.

Overall it's 90+% BS, like they say you can polish a turd, but it's still a turd.

I just hope it ends and goes away, I just don't want to see this sheeple groups around the country end up on the bad situation that will come.

I don't see it as if something will happen it's when, it's just a matter of time before some of these protests get ugly and the longer they go on the easier and quicker it will happen.

Harry

so basically one of the gripes occupy has is they took peoples homes through illegal foreclosures.. now I am not debating if the banks did or did not pull some BS.. we all know the banks are not totally innocent.. but observe the wonderful conversation in which one of the members tries to explain the situation to me..

by the end of the conversation.. after I question her about something I personally experienced.. she basically says "ok I don't know WTF I am talking about.. you should go do some research" umm why the hell do you think I am on YOUR facebook page asking YOU questions.. about YOUR movement..

the blind leading the blind comes to mind...

Anthony Niglio

thanks for baring with me while I will admit there is a huge disconnect between the way I feel and a lot of what you stand for.. I am not here to ridicule you.. but instead try to understand your message..

if someone could explain.. what does this mean?

"They have taken our houses through an illegal foreclosure process, despite not having the original mortgage."

LikeUnlike · · See Friendship · 12 hours ago · Shared with: Occupy's friends of friends

o

Jackie Murphy · Friends with Occupy SJ

Banks were writing mortgages for homes, then would sell the mortgages to other banks, who in turn would sell them again to other banks. In the midsts of these bundled mortgages being sold 3 or times, the original deeds & paperwork involving the mortgages were lost. You've got a mortgage with Bank G & Bank W, who you don't know anthing about, forecloses on your home. It was a bankers' scheme, they got richer, we got screwed.

12 hours ago · LikeUnlike

o

Anthony Niglio right.. my mortgage was sold almost as soon as I got it... that had no ill effect.. I just continued to pay the loan, but to a different bank? there was a little confusion when it first happened.. but I just found out the details when I went to pay my mortgage the first moth after it was sold.. continued to pay and had no problem.. but if you don't pay your mortgage your home gets taken? a far bigger problem I observed was people getting mortgages they could not afford..

12 hours ago · LikeUnlike

o

Yes that too. But something about the bundled mortgages the banks kept selling came back on the homeowners; not to mention the mortgages given to people with inadequate income.

11 hours ago · LikeUnlike

o

Anthony Niglio i dont understand how having your mortgage sold matters.. it happened to me.. and while alarming and confusing.. it was resolved with just a few short phone calls and a letter that was sent to me.. my mortgage was due and I knew SOMEONE had to be paid.. the original bank would not take payment because the loan was sold.. but as stated getting set up to pay the new loan holder was no more complicated than paying my electric bill.. and as far as the inadequate income thing.. YES I get that.. selling bad loans is bad.. BUT who is more at fault? the bank for allowing you to buy? or YOU for putting your name on the line.. personal accountability trumps all... not everyone shows all of their income.. people who work for tips.. people who run small at home businesses.. no doc loans existed so people like this could own homes as well.. unfortunately people abused the system getting in over their heads.. I had a no doc loan.. I was only able to get it because I had X amount of money in the bank.. it was a foolish move.. but foolish on MY part.. the bank viewed me as credible based on the amount of cash I had.. I was the fool.. that is why IMO the burden ultimately falls on the person obtaining the loan.. I think a lot of these "bad loans" are people who made dumb choices (like myself) and sometimes it is easier (and less embarrassing) to blame someone else for your foolishness.. but it is far better to face reality.. the terms of the loan are there for you.. in black and white..

o

This was not my expierence, I'm only recounting my understanding of what happened in response to your question. Some one else may be better able to explain it than I. Not sure how the bundled sales messed up people, but it's what I've heard & read.

o

Anthony Niglio what was your experience? that is what I am trying to understand?

o

Anthony Niglio OH wait I misunderstood.. you are saying you did not experience these problems.. well yeah hopefully someone can explain it.. since I experienced it first hand and the only problems I had were entering into a mortgage that was more than I could really afford.. which at the end of the day.. was my fault..

o

Yes that has happened to a lot of people, it's hard to understand. That why we have to read & research. Peace.

right.. it is the banks fault that YOU entered into a mortgage you could not afford..

personal accountability? what the hell is that.. :icon_e_confused:

To be fair, when I bought my house 6 years ago I had to argue with more than one lender to get a 30-year fixed mortgage. They tried every high pressure tactic they could think of to convince me to go with either an ARM or an interest-only mortgage. I am fortunate. I am educated and know a bit about how money works. Someone who lacks these skills could be easily manipulated into taking out a bad mortgage without even knowing they couldn't afford the house. Theese were predatory tactics designed to make me buy a more expensive house than I could afford. I didn't fall for it, but I don't automatically blame those who did. At least not as much as I blame the bank.

The bank is supposed to be the expert and portrays itself as such. Just like your doctor is supposed to know a lot more about medicine/health than you. If your doctor convinced you to take medication that actually harmed you while concealing the risks from you, would it be appropriate for people to call you an idiot and suggest that you deserved what you got?

Even when we talk about the truly irresponsible homeowner who knew better and still bought the big house they couldn't affoord, they get their punishment by losing their house and having their credit destroyed for years to come. Why should the bank who also knew better and still granted a mortgage to this person without even verifying their income (income that even if verified was not sufficient to service the note in the long-term) get a do-over using taxpayer money?

I don't know about that, while yes there may be a partial blame on the tactics some banks used, it is still the ultimate responsibility of the person signing the dotted line.

I know I sure would be doing a lot more than listening to someone else only when I as about to make the largest purchase in my life.

As far as the reference to the medical field, in todays age of computers, I sure have not even taken anything until I have read all the information about it, maybe it's just me, but I like to know what I am getting into and what I am taking and if I screw up somehow, I don't look to see who I can blame.

I guess I come from a different time where I was taught regardless of being tricked or not, I am responsible for my action and have to live with my decisions.

Harry

• Like 1

To be fair, when I bought my house 6 years ago I had to argue with more than one lender to get a 30-year fixed mortgage. They tried every high pressure tactic they could think of to convince me to go with either an ARM or an interest-only mortgage. I am fortunate. I am educated and know a bit about how money works. Someone who lacks these skills could be easily manipulated into taking out a bad mortgage without even knowing they couldn't afford the house. Theese were predatory tactics designed to make me buy a more expensive house than I could afford. I didn't fall for it, but I don't automatically blame those who did. At least not as much as I blame the bank.

The bank is supposed to be the expert and portrays itself as such. Just like your doctor is supposed to know a lot more about medicine/health than you. If your doctor convinced you to take medication that actually harmed you while concealing the risks from you, would it be appropriate for people to call you an idiot and suggest that you deserved what you got?

Even when we talk about the truly irresponsible homeowner who knew better and still bought the big house they couldn't affoord, they get their punishment by losing their house and having their credit destroyed for years to come. Why should the bank who also knew better and still granted a mortgage to this person without even verifying their income (income that even if verified was not sufficient to service the note in the long-term) get a do-over using taxpayer money?

sorry I disagree.. again.. PERSONAL ACCOUNTABILITY.. "here take this nice interest only loan so you can get this nice big house" "oh cool I get a bigger house for the same monthly cost?" what is the FIRST question that comes to mind.. WHAT IS THE NEGATIVE.. there are negatives to everything.. I WAS SOLD a mortgage I could not afford.. but I only blame myself..as to if I was talked into it or not.. I had every opportunity in the world to research.. you are talking a THIRTY YEAR COMMITMENT.. I don't care if you are a completely uneducated moron.. you should still investigate what you are BINDING yourself to.. I read up on and understood my risk.. and I STILL made a bad choice.. no one held me down.. no one put a gun to my head.. we ALL make free choices.. and they are exactly that.. free choices.. and we must deal with the consequences..

our country is so screwed up because we all want to blame everyone else.. it's not the college students fault he is buried in debt.. it is not the person who ran up credit cards through the roofs fault.. oh the guy who got the mortgage he could barely afford? nope not his fault.. well when the hell is it someone's fault? I am sorry to come off harsh.. but I am so tired of excuses.. yeah there are people out there that want to separate you from your money.. instead of making foolish emotion driven choices sit down.. think things out.. do I REALLY think paying THIS much for college is a good idea? how long will it take me to pay it back? do I really need that 3rd flat screen TV? people are so reliant on other people they are becoming brain dead.. and THAT is the real zombie apocalypse.. you don't have to wait for it.. they have already taken to the streets in mindless droves.. following one another without any idea where they are going or what they are doing.. we really need to do a complete 180 and get back on track, or 3rd world status.. here we come..

sorry I disagree.. again.. PERSONAL ACCOUNTABILITY.. "here take this nice interest only loan so you can get this nice big house" "oh cool I get a bigger house for the same monthly cost?" what is the FIRST question that comes to mind.. WHAT IS THE NEGATIVE.. there are negatives to everything.. I WAS SOLD a mortgage I could not afford.. but I only blame myself..as to if I was talked into it or not.. I had every opportunity in the world to research.. you are talking a THIRTY YEAR COMMITMENT.. I don't care if you are a completely uneducated moron.. you should still investigate what you are BINDING yourself to.. I read up on and understood my risk.. and I STILL made a bad choice.. no one held me down.. no one put a gun to my head.. we ALL make free choices.. and they are exactly that.. free choices.. and we must deal with the consequences..

our country is so screwed up because we all want to blame everyone else.. it's not the college students fault he is buried in debt.. it is not the person who ran up credit cards through the roofs fault.. oh the guy who got the mortgage he could barely afford? nope not his fault.. well when the hell is it someone's fault? I am sorry to come off harsh.. but I am so tired of excuses.. yeah there are people out there that want to separate you from your money.. instead of making foolish emotion driven choices sit down.. think things out.. do I REALLY think paying THIS much for college is a good idea? how long will it take me to pay it back? do I really need that 3rd flat screen TV? people are so reliant on other people they are becoming brain dead.. and THAT is the real zombie apocalypse.. you don't have to wait for it.. they have already taken to the streets in mindless droves.. following one another without any idea where they are going or what they are doing.. we really need to do a complete 180 and get back on track, or 3rd world status.. here we come..

I said nothing about student load debt or credit card debt. I strictly speaking about predatory loan practices by banks who do nothing but process money all day long. They are the experts and already knew that these people couldn't afford these loans. Not only that, in many cases they encouraged these same people to take these loans out. How is it so easy to excuse the actions of the banks and take such a hard line with the individuals?

I'm all for personal repsonsibility. How about the personal repsponsibility of the loan officers, bank vice-presidents and such? The home buyer should be held to an unyielding standard for personal responsibility but the bank employees should get to not only keep their jobs but also the commissions they made on the loans? I don't disagree with your opinion in general. Irresponsible people must suffer the consequences of their mistakes. It just seems to let people who are guilt of much more than stupidity off the hook in the name of personal responsibility. Hold ALL parties to the same standard. I'm fine with that.

I said nothing about student load debt or credit card debt. I strictly speaking about predatory loan practices by banks who do nothing but process money all day long. They are the experts and already knew that these people couldn't afford these loans. Not only that, in many cases they encouraged these same people to take these loans out. How is it so easy to excuse the actions of the banks and take such a hard line with the individuals?

Because the Banks Did Not sign on the dotted line, the home purchaser did.

Harry

right.. the banks were bailed out.. but people weren't.. nope no private citizen has ever seen a cent of government aid... right.. just big banks.. :icon_rolleyes:

Bob · 2 mutual friends

The loaning entities also knew they were loaning more than could be payed, but hedged on the risk that the value of the house would appreciate in value faster than the payments or lack therof. They could pick and choose what loans to keep or sell off, and of course would sell the risky ones for a profit, usually the low or no document loans. As long as real estate kept artificially appreciating in value, the profit game continued. When the market bubble burst, they became toxic assets that nobody wanted. the learning and cookies that were left holding the bag when the music stopped, were in the same bag as the individual mortgage holder. the bad decision of the individual taking the loan resulted took a hit in the loss of their equity in the home and the losing value of the house, with little recourse to being bailed out by the mortgage company for the option of refinancing for anything else. the individual homeowner is allowed to fail. the clipper owners were "too big to fail". the corporations are under the same laws as the individual, and were bailed out by the government and taxpayers. corporate greed seems to have won out here while the individual seems to have gotten the shaft again. the occupy wall street movement is a call for corporate responsibility

19 minutes ago · Like

Anthony Niglio

I agree that corporations should be allowed to fail.. but if that is the mindset then to be FAIR.. ALL business must be left untainted.. you can't back subsidized farming (government bail outs)(for example) but criticize bank bail outs.. business should be left to grow or fail.. that is the only way new growth can be created.. if every time ANY business goes under the government runs in to make the save.. then the business will continue to make bad choices.. similar to that of a child that is babied by its parents.. failure creates hard times.. but also generates new growth.. my problem with this issue is the shifting of blame and lack of personal responsibility.. also you can not act as if ALL banks were bailed out and NO consumers were.. as that is misleading.. were there not things like the "Homeowner Affordability and Stability Plan" which is essentially a bail out for home owners? I mean I will be the first to admit I am not versed on EVERY program that was offered.. but I am fairly certain there were several that utilized government money to keep people in their homes...

3 minutes ago · Like

I'm all for personal repsonsibility. How about the personal repsponsibility of the loan officers, bank vice-presidents and such? The home buyer should be held to an unyielding standard for personal responsibility but the bank employees should get to not only keep their jobs but also the commissions they made on the loans? I don't disagree with your opinion in general. Irresponsible people must suffer the consequences of their mistakes. It just seems to let people who are guilt of much more than stupidity off the hook in the name of personal responsibility. Hold ALL parties to the same standard. I'm fine with that.

if you do NOT disclose the nature of the loan.. you are wrong.. and should be punished..

if you DID disclose the nature of the loan.. and the buyer still proceed.. I fail to see how the officer is accountable for anything..

if you do NOT disclose the nature of the loan.. you are wrong.. and should be punished..

if you DID disclose the nature of the loan.. and the buyer still proceed.. I fail to see how the officer is accountable for anything..

Let me get this straight:

Home buyer takes out a mortgage for a home he cannot afford = irresponsible idiot who deserves whatever bad happens in the name of personal responsibility

Loan officer approves and writes loan to a someone he knows cannot afford it = not responsible for anything

So the home buyer acts irresponsibly and deserves to lose his house but the bank acts irresponsibly and should get bailed out? I'm just not seeing this logic.

Let me get this straight:

Home buyer takes out a mortgage for a home he cannot afford = irresponsible idiot who deserves whatever bad happens in the name of personal responsibility

Loan officer approves and writes loan to a someone he knows cannot afford it = not responsible for anything

So the home buyer acts irresponsibly and deserves to lose his house but the bank acts irresponsibly and should get bailed out? I'm just not seeing this logic.

they do not KNOW you can or can not afford it.. they do not KNOW what you may or may not have in the works.. they do not KNOW that you are not about to start a very profitable business..

the point is if the deceive you and tell you the terms are NOT what they are.. then sure.. they sure liable.. but if they TELL YOU exactly what the terms are.. and you buy it anyway.. how the hell is it the banks fault? they said.. it will cost x y and z.. and you say OK sign me up..

and if you READ what I right.. you would understand that I think NO ONE deserves a bail out..