Twospot

Noob with questions on the laws

Hi everyone!

I did read through the sticky on the NJ Gun Laws but I am still a little confused. I understand that you have to apply for a Firearms ID card which I am in the process of doing. If you have the FID then what are Pistol Permits for? They seem short term. I would appreciate very much if someone can explain a little about this. My experience has been these folks at the PD are a little snippy and I'd rather go in with some knowledge. My fiance went in to get her paperwork to apply and she was clear the lady had an attitude. Oh the joys LOL! Thanks in advance for your help!

Eddie

Hi everyone!

I did read through the sticky on the NJ Gun Laws but I am still a little confused. I understand that you have to apply for a Firearms ID card which I am in the process of doing. If you have the FID then what are Pistol Permits for? They seem short term. I would appreciate very much if someone can explain a little about this. My experience has been these folks at the PD are a little snippy and I'd rather go in with some knowledge. My fiance went in to get her paperwork to apply and she was clear the lady had an attitude. Oh the joys LOL! Thanks in advance for your help!

Eddie

Well you have to get a FID card first , this will allow you to buy ammo (Some places you wont need an FID to buy ammo or if you buy online)

you can buy rifles and long guns with just your FID no permits needed

If you want to buy a Handgun you need to get a Pistol permit, you need one permit per pistol and you can only buy 1 handgun every 30 days. Each permit expired every 90 days. Is a way of keeping a record of each handgun that you buy.

When you going to buy a handgun you need to have a pistol permit and your FID, also FID address need to match your driver license.

Jonathan Canas

Hi everyone!

Eddie

Your firearms ID card allows you to buy long arms (rifles and shotguns). For each pistol you wish to purchase, you need a permit to purchase a pistol. The permit is used instead of your firearms ID card for the transfer. The permit is 4 carbon copies. The seller keeps one, you keep one, one gets sent to your municipality, and one goes to a central databank at the state police. Pistols are also subject to the One Gun A Month legislation.

Well you have to get a FID card first , this will allow you to buy ammo (Some places you wont need an FID to buy ammo or if you buy online)

you can buy rifles and long guns with just your FID no permits needed

If you want to buy a Handgun you need to get a Pistol permit, you need one permit per pistol and you can only buy 1 handgun every 30 days. Each permit expired every 90 days. Is a way of keeping a record of each handgun that you buy.

When you going to buy a handgun you need to have a pistol permit and your FID, also FID address need to match your driver license.

Jonathan Canas

Thank you Jonathan! Is there a limit as to how many hand guns you can own?

Your firearms ID card allows you to buy long arms (rifles and shotguns). For each pistol you wish to purchase, you need a permit to purchase a pistol. The permit is used instead of your firearms ID card for the transfer. The permit is 4 carbon copies. The seller keeps one, you keep one, one gets sent to your municipality, and one goes to a central databank at the state police. Pistols are also subject to the One Gun A Month legislation.

Thanks so much for your reply.

Thank you Jonathan! Is there a limit as to how many hand guns you can own?

no limit BUT the time that it will take you to get several pistol permits is really annoying, and some departments will limit you to 2 or 3 permits per application..

For example i apply for 3 permits back in september and I still havent hear back, so thats about 3 months.. I called them and apparently still no ready.. so dont expect it to be quick.. lol

I have a Kimber sitting with my FFL since August

Good luck..

no limit BUT the time that it will take you to get several pistol permits is really annoying, and some departments will limit you to 2 or 3 permits per application..

For example i apply for 3 permits back in september and I still havent hear back, so thats about 3 months.. I called them and apparently still no ready.. so dont expect it to be quick.. lol

I have a Kimber sitting with my FFL since August

Good luck..

You don't say what your local PD is - someone here likely can advise you on specifics with them.

When you apply for your FPID, you can apply for purchase permits at the same time (checkbox is right on the form) and I would do so as the wait time in some areas is incredible!

In NJ, you can only purchase one handgun per month, and each permit is good for 90 days. If your PD will accept a request for 6 permits, that will give you 6 months worth of gun shopping because you can have the 3 not useable within the 90 days extended another 90 days. If you are a collector like me, there is an exemption mechanism to purchase more than one handgun a month that requires filing the correct paperwork, having and FFL to work with, and waiting for the approval of the New Jersey State Police.

The clerk in my local PD an absolute BEAR and her personal opinion on private gun ownership obvious. The Chief is 180 degrees different! I've also had nothing but terrific interaction with the Sgts and support staff at the NJSP Firearms Investigation Unit in Trenton when I had to issues with the local process and my subsequent collector exemptions.

Can apply for as many as you like but without an exemption you can only use 6.

gotta be aware that you can get the other 3 permits extended only if your pd chief allows extensions, which in North Bergen he does not allow...so make sure before applying, unless you do exemption which is different...

What your town is doing is illegal. PDs cannot limit the amount of purchase permits you apply for at one time. You can apply for 100 if you'd like. Also, there is no wait time inbetween applications. You can turn in a new app every day if you'd like(even before you get the first set of permits approved).

I understand the 1 gun per month and in my town we are allowed 2 permits per application. I just used up my permits.

..Is there any timeframe from when you can reapply for another 2 pistol permits?

What Jon said, I was going to post the letter that was sent out to all PD's that states that they cannot restrict you on how many P2P you can request but I can't find it and it seems my Google-fu is tired this morning. Anyone have a link or the letter they can post here?

What Jon said, I was going to post the letter that was sent out to all PD's that states that they cannot restrict you on how many P2P you can request but I can't find it and it seems my Google-fu is tired this morning. Anyone have a link or the letter they can post here?

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/19258-njsp-letter-to-chiefs-proving-ppps-cannot-be-limited/

Thank you both, and Jon like Maks told me yesterday you can enter text on the screen, Highlight it and select link and add the URL there and it works like it did before. I'll give credit to Paul also, but his was more like I was typing HTML code to do it, easy to understand, but I am not HTML savvy and a slow typer.