Sign in to follow this  
zoid

Case Lube

I personally use lube on my cases. I find it makes it feed into and out of

the dies a lot easier. I've not found any down sides except that sometimes

if I don't let it dry quite enough powder/media can get stuck on the brass,

but it's easy to clean.

Anyone else use it? Why or why not?

You should always use lube even with carbide dies. It limits your resizing effort and minimizes scratching on your cases. On pistol cases I take about 100-150 cases put them in a plastic coffee can shoot in a mist of Hornady Hot Shot, shake it up and repeat. Cases size easy, the lube drys and isn't messy.

On rifle cases I do the same thing but additionally shoot some Hot Shot on a Q-tip and do the inside of the case mouth.

If you don't lube you are busting your ball$ for nothing and shortening your case life.

BTW I use Dillon carbide sizing dies and they're not cheap. I want to keep them serviceable.

You should always use lube even with carbide dies. It limits your resizing effort and minimizes scratching on your cases. On pistol cases I take about 100-150 cases put them in a plastic coffee can shoot in a mist of Hornady Hot Shot, shake it up and repeat. Cases size easy, the lube drys and isn't messy.

I do the same thing. I use a small plastic bin. Quick spray, wait a minute and then dump into case feeder. Resizing is noticeably easier.

i lube my 9mm i used to not, but now that i do i wont quit! i use dillon spray lube then when im done making round count i just tumble for 5-10 mins to get lube off sometimes if im lazy i just let them air dry

I'm lazy. I know you're suppose to put them on a tray and spray and let dry. I dump

all my brass into a box, spray it, mix it by hand, then let it sit to dry. I know it's not

the best way, but it seems to still work. The lubing is just a little less consistent.

I use it when full length resizing rifle brass, you have to...

I use imperial sizing wax. Nothing else works nearly as well. The spray on stuff blows compared to it.

The imperial sizing wax is the best I've used. One tin lasts a long time and use sparingly. I only use on rifle brass.

I only lube rifle brass. I use Frankford Arsenal spray lube. I load .308 in low volume so I lay about 25-30 out on a towel, give one shot over them, roll them over, give another shot, and let them sit for a minute, then go. I also have a tube of Lee lube and a can of Hornady One Shot, but I prefer the FA spray because it's easier to use in a pump spray bottle. I haven't lubed pistol ever and don't have any issues with sizing them.

I don't use lube with carbide dies. I guess that might put more wear on them but as some of the carbide dies I have I've used (a lot like 45ACP) are over 30 years old and still working fine. I like the Lee case lube that is water soluble which makes cleaning the brass easy.

out of 9mm, 45, 38, 357 and 44, i only lube the 9mm luger cases since they have that slight taper and bind. In fact, it generally takes more effort to resize a dry 9mm luger case than a 44 mag case because of how much they may bind in the die. Thicker/oversized brass like CBC and S*B are the worst culprits too.

out of 9mm, 45, 38, 357 and 44, i only lube the 9mm luger cases since they have that slight taper and bind. In fact, it generally takes more effort to resize a dry 9mm luger case than a 44 mag case because of how much they may bind in the die. Thicker/oversized brass like CBC and S*B are the worst culprits too.

Thanks for explaining that. I started resizing 9mm the other day and was wondering why I needed more effort. 380, 40, 44 and 45 did not require near as much effort, now I know why.

I only lube rifle brass. I love the frankford arsenal stuff in a spray bottle. I drop a bunch of cases in a quart ziplock bag, add 2 squirts of lube and shake around. I use coffee can lids as little trays and they work great for letting the lube dry before sizing. I dump the bag out on a lid as I am setting up my resizing die and by the time I am done, the lube is ready. Never had a problem using the FA stuff.