Caine

Small aircraft crashed on 287 in Morris County

They just broke in on the TV with a helicopter shot of the accident scene. They said there were three confirmed fatalities. Then they panned to show Morristown Airport just off to the right of the shot (looked like around a mile away.) Years ago we were driving on Rt 78 towards Spruce Run and had a glider go past us and landed in the road just ahead of us. That one ended safely.

Very bad scene, aircraft parts scattered everywhere. Some parts about a quarter of a mile from the main scene, as a pilot, or just a person, it's something you hate to see or hear about.

Were you on duty? Had to take the chopper up to video?

Very bad scene, aircraft parts scattered everywhere. Some parts about a quarter of a mile from the main scene, as a pilot, or just a person, it's something you hate to see or hear about.

Unless you posting vis a mobile devise I an assuming you are off. I know I have no more info myself other than what I have seen in the media being I am on vacation.

It sure doesn't look like there would be any survivors from the A/C and it's actually good it happened where it happened, looks like and hopefully it misses anyone on the ground, a few miles either direction coming down in a neighborhood and it would have been even a more tragic event than it is already.

My best wishes to the S.O.B. lost as well as their families and friends.

Were you on duty? Had to take the chopper up to video?

Yep, we sat over it for a couple of hours. I'm thinking it must of broke apart on the way down, just looking at where the debris was.

Unless you posting vis a mobile devise I an assuming you are off. I know I have no more info myself other than what I have seen in the media being I am on vacation.

It sure doesn't look like there would be any survivors from the A/C and it's actually good it happened where it happened, looks like and hopefully it misses anyone on the ground, a few miles either direction coming down in a neighborhood and it would have been even a more tragic event than it is already.

My best wishes to the S.O.B. lost as well as their families and friends.

Harry, I saw this thread after we landed. Looking at where it happened i'm surprised no cars on 287 were hit.

By the way being it's SOP for me to use this at work, if anyone questions my previous post, "S.O.B." is in the airline industry, Souls on Board, thats how we communicate the number of persons that are on an Aircraft, it is not a derogatory term.

By the way being it's SOP for me to use this at work, if anyone questions my previous post, "S.O.B." is in the airline industry, Souls on Board, thats how we communicate the number of persons that are on an Aircraft, it is not a derogatory term.

I was gonna say......

Terrible. If you don't get a little bit nervous everytime you fly, there is something wrong with you.

My dad worked for an airline (ground crew) and I basically grew up taking planes for vacation. I was never nervous flying. That was until I took a small plane from Pittsburgh to Morgantown, WV. I wanted to kiss the ground when I got off that plane. Actually told the kid picking me up to bring me a beer haha.

Like what's been said we're lucky it didn't hit any cars or any populated places. Scary stuff. I live by teterboro and the low planes make me nervous as hell.

If you don't get a little bit nervous everytime you fly, there is something wrong with you.

Why is that, there are mathematical formulas explaining it in black and white the reason aircraft fly. I have no problem in Small Large or Jumbo A/C let alone any of my Hang Gliders.

Why is that, there are mathematical formulas explaining it in black and white the reason aircraft fly. I have no problem in Small Large or Jumbo A/C let alone any of my Hang Gliders.

I didn't say I have a problem flying, I mean, I fly for a living. If I didn't know what I know now, or didn't have access to the information I do, I wouldn't even think about it. But after a handful of IFE's and a few HATR's, things change a bit...

Things are black and white why aircraft fly. Sure. But aircraft don't fly themselves (entirely). They don't control themselves (entirely), and they certainly don't work on and fix, repair, or maintain themselves. It is the people element that makes me nervous. There are hundreds of examples of aircraft that are perfectly capable of still flying, crashing due to human error.

Got ya, I know I have read a lot of the accident reports, I make it a habit of reading them and learning from them especially ones in the sports I do, but all are relevant. Some say it's morbid to read these, I will say they are not always easy to get through, but what you learn is invaluable.

• Like 1

Mathematical formulas and engineering brilliance aside, my biggest fear is IF something mechanical goes wrong, you can't just pull over. You're just going down. Too bad they can't invent parachutes that deploy to gently bring these planes down in case of a total failure?

Mathematical formulas and engineering brilliance aside, my biggest fear is IF something mechanical goes wrong, you can't just pull over. You're just going down. Too bad they can't invent parachutes that deploy to gently bring these planes down in case of a total failure?

They already do, for the Cirrus, take a look.http://www.cirruspil...APSHistory.aspx