Caine

Small aircraft crashed on 287 in Morris County

Second.. I haven't been up on the statistics.. but I'm still sure that it's far more likely that you will die in a traffic accident on the way to work than in a plane crash.

You are correct, especially in NJ!! And forget about it if you ride a motorcycle.

Second.. I haven't been up on the statistics.. but I'm still sure that it's far more likely that you will die in a traffic accident on the way to work than in a plane crash.

That stat is for commercial travel/airline travel. Piloting yourself has stats closer to riding a motorcycle.

That stat is for commercial travel/airline travel. Piloting yourself has stats closer to riding a motorcycle.

Well then to be fair, for discussion, we have to separate Commercial Flights vs General Aviation.

Then I would say there should be other stats for Commercial between the Turbo Props and Small Jets vs the large body aircraft. (I'm sure someone has made those stats)

The only time I am mildly nervous about flying is when I'm not front left. Sitting in the self-loading-baggage area is disconcerting at times when you KNOW what is going on up front!

Ice is ugly stuff. RIP to those onboard CA.

Mathematical formulas and engineering brilliance aside, my biggest fear is IF something mechanical goes wrong, you can't just pull over. You're just going down. Too bad they can't invent parachutes that deploy to gently bring these planes down in case of a total failure?

Actually for ultralights and some small A/C BRS does make a ballistic recovery system. I have a BRS deployed chute on my harness I use for hang gliding and am getting another harness with just a regular hand thrown one. The ballistic one is a class 3 explosive so I can take that as a carry-on or as checked baggage when I fly. Plus when I am flying coastal sites wen my highest AGL is less than 500 feet I don't fly with one, just for the chance of a water landing (Other wise known as poor landing or crash) plus at my rate of decent with the hang glider attached I would be falling so slow the chute wouldn't inflate, let alone be able to deploy at that height.

Would never work.

I agree, but always wondered is a progressive deployment system, say via multiple drogue chutes to slow it down to a certain speed and when that was reached a multiple deployment system could be used. Would have to be one heck of a system being you and I both know the OEW of Large and Heavy A/C are.

I've flown quite a lot in my lifetime, I don't get nervous flying. There have been a few times I was wondering. One was landing in Anchorage in February. We popped over the mountains in the 747 and it was whoopdee doos with major yaw and almost a wing touch when we finally slammed onto the tarmac. Half the overheads flew open and luggage came flying out. Then on takeoff a few hours later, we de-iced, were first in position and had to go back and de-ice again. It doesn't inspire much faith that ice was accumulating that quickly. Made it to Incheon and that landing was so smooth it was probably best landing I've ever had.

Prayers to the families here. Tragedy all around.

I've flown quite a lot in my lifetime, I don't get nervous flying. There have been a few times I was wondering. One was landing in Anchorage in February. We popped over the mountains in the 747 and it was whoopdee doos with major yaw and almost a wing touch when we finally slammed onto the tarmac. Half the overheads flew open and luggage came flying out. Then on takeoff a few hours later, we de-iced, were first in position and had to go back and de-ice again. It doesn't inspire much faith that ice was accumulating that quickly. Made it to Incheon and that landing was so smooth it was probably best landing I've ever had.

Prayers to the families here. Tragedy all around.

The return for a second spray was more than likely only due to time limitations and thats dependent on what type of fluid was used and what percentage of Glycol. 99.9999999% of the time when they return and it's not accumulating and it's just past the holdover time, they theoretically could have taken off with no problems being there is quite a bit of safety built into the numbers, but when it comes to aviation, it is always best to be on the safe side.

Heck, I have flown while it was snowing out in my hang glider , brushed off the snow, shook the wing and flown for hours in the snow. Snow blows off, Ice can accumulate and change the aerodynamics of the wings profile changing the L (Lift) over D (Drag) ratio and that's where the largest problem is.

Well then to be fair, for discussion, we have to separate Commercial Flights vs General Aviation.

Then I would say there should be other stats for Commercial between the Turbo Props and Small Jets vs the large body aircraft. (I'm sure someone has made those stats)

Indeed,

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/aba/admin_factbook/media/201103.pdf

as per page 6 it goes;

large air carriers

Commuter

Air Taxi (charter)

and then general aviation.

In this particular incident we have a a pilot flying his own aircraft. Even though it was a turboprop, he falls outside of the communter or airline type of commercial flying that have the safest record.

There are better breakdowns, but this is what I found on short notice.

Take off's and landing's are the best part of the whole flight..

best one i had was landing in philadelphia in a snow storm we skidded most of the way.. :heat:

The airport in Dutch Harbor Alaska was my favorite! I almost shat my pants.

I agree, but always wondered is a progressive deployment system, say via multiple drogue chutes to slow it down to a certain speed and when that was reached a multiple deployment system could be used. Would have to be one heck of a system being you and I both know the OEW of Large and Heavy A/C are.

Though different, for comparison sake, a friend of mine performed the heaviest airdrop ever, if I recall correctly was 77,000 pounds. So you would need to use a chute 2-10 times larger depending on the aircraft...

Not the same thing I know, just to put in in perspective. The weight and space it would take up alone would make it impractical.

Then on takeoff a few hours later, we de-iced, were first in position and had to go back and de-ice again. It doesn't inspire much faith that ice was accumulating that quickly. Made it to Incheon and that landing was so smooth it was probably best landing I've ever had.

De-icing fluid has no holdover time. It is for the removal of ice only, and does nothing to prevent accumulation. So in a time of active precipitation, unless you were also anti-iced, having to go back is not uncommon. I thin layer of ice can increase drag by 30% and decrease lift by 40%. (well, it varies depending on the aircraft) In other words, you will crash and burn on takeoff if it is not removed!

There is absolutely no reason to push a takeoff in precipitation unless you are absolutely sure you are good to go. That is why there are (for us anyways), 2 different checks prior to takeoff to make sure. I'll give you a story. A year or two ago, there was a crew on the hold for takeoff. One of the crew members was doing the final inspection and notice the entire surface of the wings was covered in ice! They taxied back into blocks. It turns out, the de-icing fluid was diluted once, but it was not recorded. So it was again diluted. So where they should have had a 50/50 mixture, instead it was closer to 75% water causing it to freeze over! Had they not done an additional inspection, they probably would have never gotten airborne.