Ok so I can go in buy a hand gun and a long gun, then two weeks later by another long gun?

Yes you can but you can buy 1 handgun today and buy another handgun 30 days after, note you start counting the 30 days the day after you bought the 1st handgun.

Long guns, you can buy as many as you like per day every day until you run out of money being your only limiting factor, well that and Sundays no NICS check in NJ so no Sunday sales unless you want to go to another state that has NICS on Sundays and isn't limited in selling Long guns to NJ residents.

Just to clarify this means 30 calendar days not business days correct, holidays included?

Calender days only, weekends, holidays etc do not matter, they count, just keep in mind most if not all notional holidays will be observed by NICS, meaning they will have the day off and no gun sales in those days.

There are ways (legally) to purchase more than one handgun within a 30 day period. I know of two ways, but one is for LEO's only. I picked-up three handguns with one NICS call. I have seen people get 40+ at a time (wish I had their $$$). There is no limit to the amount you can get at once as long as the State Police approve the exemption.

There are ways (legally) to purchase more than one handgun within a 30 day period. I know of two ways, but one is for LEO's only. I picked-up three handguns with one NICS call. I have seen people get 40+ at a time (wish I had their $$$). There is no limit to the amount you can get at once as long as the State Police approve the exemption.

OK, but what would be an exemption to buy 40 handguns at one time?

I would think that if you have no issues personally with the law, if you wanted to buy a matched pair of handguns and submitted for an exemption, they would have a hard time denying that. But 40?

Blue1

As collectors, sometimes we buy the entire collection! I have done 4 exemptions this year after learning the process and one was a doosey! No problem at all with the NJSP's approval. Paperwork needs to be in order, and your explanation for the exemption concise and factual, and you gotta have an FFL willing to work with you because they have to sign-off on the SP-016.

I have seen a stack of over 100 handguns waiting to be picked-up. The purchaser paid his $18.00 background check, the $2.00 per permit, and did the SP015 and SP016 paperwork. The local PD wasn't thrilled with typing-out all those PPP's, but it's not our fault, it is the system we have to deal with.

Now, I would like to be there when he picks them up. I don't know if NICS is still involved at that point. If they are, I could not imagine the FFL calling it in and giving the description and serial number of each and every handgun being transfered, that would take hours......... I hope at that point they could simply FAX the SP016 forms to NICS.

Would have to ask someone like Paul (PK90) how that process works.

Now, I would like to be there when he picks them up. I don't know if NICS is still involved at that point. If they are, I could not imagine the FFL calling it in and giving the description and serial number of each and every handgun being transfered, that would take hours......... I hope at that point they could simply FAX the SP016 forms to NICS.

Doesn't have to, they only ask if long gun or handgun. BUT In NJ, when your FFL calls in with and exemption transfer, the paperwork is already in front of the NICS operator. Takes no time at all for that, it's doing all the individual permits! I'm kind to my FFL and provide him with a typed sheet of all being transferred to attach to the ATF form at least.

buying more is collecting, but I think it really depends on what you buy. If you ordered 1000 ARs of the same model and a million rounds of ammo, that would probably raise a flag. They might think you're planning to overthrow the government or have some sort of religious cult compound.

buying more is collecting, but I think it really depends on what you buy. If you ordered 1000 ARs of the same model and a million rounds of ammo, that would probably raise a flag. They might think you're planning to overthrow the government or have some sort of religious cult compound.

Yeah, that would not happen. You have to justify the exemption to them, and with the exception of matched pairs/consecutive serials of new production guns, the NJSP has been known to not approve an exemption request for current production models. I can tell you at least one of the Sgts is up on his Sigs too because he questioned one gun out of a very long exemption list of mine, which was a 2011 production gun; however, I purchased it as a condition of acquiring the collection = all good with the NJSP. Since sold that one as a matter of fact...

No firearm info is given to NICS. They only want to know if it is for a handgun or a long gun. Why they need to know even that, I do not know.

I was told that they check your last handgun purchase to ensure it's not within the 30 day window. If it's been less than 30 days since your last handgun and you're buying another handgun you get rejected. I was told it's a permanent rejection. In other words, no more gun purchases for you.

I was told that they check your last handgun purchase to ensure it's not within the 30 day window. If it's been less than 30 days since your last handgun and you're buying another handgun you get rejected. I was told it's a permanent rejection. In other words, no more gun purchases for you.

No, not at all. Paul has a much better explaination somewhere on the board, but it goes like this in gist. With NICS, you can only do one of those in 30 days too, and that has nothing to do with NJ. So if you're buying two new guns, and month #1 you did one NICS and paperwork and returned on day 29 for the second and started the NICS you will get a rejected or the limbo status. No big deal, it'll go through when you go back. So, this actually helps you abide by NJ OGAM with new purchases from FFLs. Where you get in trouble, and can say goodbye to purchasing and face some legal problems is if you go and do either one new purchase with a NICS and then short of 30 days do a FTF with an NJ resident = SUNK, or do more than one FTF with NJ residents within 30 days = SUNK. You still use purchase permits for FTF in NJ, and someone, believe it or not, DOES check the permit dates.

I know that we've been over and over this, but just so I'm clear, if we count the day of purchase as day one, then the next purchase can be on day 31, correct? Or if we don't start counting until the next day after purchase, then the next purchase can be on day 30? Sorry to be such a simpleton. :unsure:

I know that we've been over and over this, but just so I'm clear, if we count the day of purchase as day one, then the next purchase can be on day 31, correct? Or if we don't start counting until the next day after purchase, then the next purchase can be on day 30? Sorry to be such a simpleton. :unsure:

The day after your purchase is day one. Next purchase can be made on day thirty-one.

How long are the "permits to purchase" valid for? The reason I ask, I believe they are only valid for 90 days so if you can only buy one per month, then the most permits you can get at a time would be three, or even just two unless you go buy your first handgun the same day the permits are issued. Am I right or am I not seeing this clearly? I myself would like to apply for three permits at once. Or do I have to wait the full 90 days before I could apply for more purchase permits?

How long are the "permits to purchase" valid for? The reason I ask, I believe they are only valid for 90 days so if you can only buy one per month, then the most permits you can get at a time would be three, or even just two unless you go buy your first handgun the same day the permits are issued. Am I right or am I not seeing this clearly? I myself would like to apply for three permits at once. Or do I have to wait the full 90 days before I could apply for more purchase permits?

Day 1: buy handgun

Day 31: buy handgun

Day: 62 buy handgun

90 days is plenty of time to buy 3.