TheWombat

3 year old shoots and kills 5 year old - Colorado

http://abcnews.go.co...ld-in-colorado/

"A 5-year-old boy is dead after a shooting inside an apartment Friday morning in Lakewood, Colo., and police say a 3-year-old boy pulled the trigger..... Police said a 3-year-old visiting from Kansas shot the 5-year-old..... The 5-year-old boy was taken to the hospital with a gunshot to the chest and later died"

Police said they believe the shooting was accidental, but one of the adults in the apartment at the time, Adam Laham, 23, was arrested on charges of child abuse resulting in death and criminal negligence...."

"Neighbors say the family that lives in the apartment is friendly, and were just seen having a snowball fight in the yard on Thursday."

"Photos of guns were found by

ABC News affiliate KMGH-TV in Denver on the Facebook page of a family member listed as a resident of the apartment where the shooting happened. Hours later, the same man posted “One *blank* second changes everything, forever.”

-----------

Very sad to read news like this, my sympathies to the families.

While the owner of the firearms was irresponsible with tragic consequences, these type of news headlines are just going to give more fuel to those who are anti-gun.

TheWombat

• Like 1

It isn't the headline W, that gives fuel to the anti-gunners, it's the ACT of the gun owner that was the problem. The reporting seemed non-emotive. The charges directed against the gunowner are appropriate. But yes - when gun owners do this sort of stupid a** stuff, we all look bad.

HOWEVER - where are the headlines related to accidents caused by texting and driving, and drinking and driving? Something like 30,000 people a year are killed in car-related accidents. Let's have some perspective in reporting!

G

• Like 1

It isn't the headline W, that gives fuel to the anti-gunners, it's the ACT of the gun owner that was the problem. The reporting seemed non-emotive. The charges directed against the gunowner are appropriate. But yes - when gun owners do this sort of stupid a** stuff, we all look bad.

HOWEVER - where are the headlines related to accidents caused by texting and driving, and drinking and driving? Something like 30,000 people a year are killed in car-related accidents. Let's have some perspective in reporting!

G

Agreed, alas though 'texting while driving' or talking on the phone while driving are not going to earn the politicians many votes. The number of people I see doing both is staggering, and it is not just the younger drivers. Many of the people are in expensive cars and you'd assume would use bluetooth. It is a shame that enforcing these laws seems to be a challenge.

TheWombat

• Like 1

Yeah - I was thinking about this and I thought to myself "Do I think bad of knife owners just because someone was stabbed 37 times or something?" And then the thought quoted above seemed so less reasonable. The fact remains that the object is not "evil" the actor/suspect/alleged/perpetrator is the evil one - not the gun, not the ammo, not the gun manufacturer.

This is terrible. I'm not around children much, but would a 3 year old even have the strength to pull some triggers?

Yes, though I have my doubts about them getting their hand positioned properly for grip safeties etc. It's a clear case of parental douchebaggery.

This is what really angers me the most about Mayors Against Illegal Guns, The Brady Campaign and all other anti-gun organizations. They never spend a dime on gun safety classes for lawful gun owners, which is where they could make a difference, if they really wanted to. But they don't give a damn about anybody. No doubt they will use this tragic story as a means to push their agenda, when they have done nothing to prevent it and, arguably, have done everything possible to create the ignorance that makes these things possible to happen. Imagine if the money used for gun buybacks would be used to provide gun safety classes. I'm not saying that all accidents would be prevented, but many could if those organizations would accept reality and work on education, rather than disarming the law-abiding.

• Like 4

This is what really angers me the most about Mayors Against Illegal Guns, The Brady Campaign and all other anti-gun organizations. They never spend a dime on gun safety classes for lawful gun owners, which is where they could make a difference, if they really wanted to. But they don't give a damn about anybody. No doubt they will use this tragic story as a means to push their agenda, when they have done nothing to prevent it and, arguably, have done everything possible to create the ignorance that makes these things possible to happen. Imagine if the money used for gun buybacks would be used to provide gun safety classes. I'm not saying that all accidents would be prevented, but many could if those organizations would accept reality and work on education, rather than disarming the law-abiding.

Organizations don't want to be made obsolete so they have no incentive to actually fix the problem they are supposed to solve. IMO, that goes doubly for douche-baggy organizations that are based on a fallacy.

• Like 2

Organizations don't want to be made obsolete so they have no incentive to actually fix the problem they are supposed to solve. IMO, that goes doubly for douche-baggy organizations that are based on a fallacy.

Ain't it the sad truth? :(