Underdog

Double Action Only 9mm

229 dak or 226 dak are on my list for these 3 permits

Are you locked in to only getting 3 permits? Does Bayonne not allow you to renew?

I don't know what double action or single action mean when it comes to a striker fired pistol. I know that I don't like to feel the hammer tension and hammer movement so striker fired guns and single action are my preference.

I actually like having a hammer if it is smooth. I would have gotten a FNH FNX-9 if FNH had bothered to make 15-rounders for it (or even 10-rounders) and if the FNX-9 would have shared the same magazines as the to-be-released striker fired FNS-9. I could have gotten an FNX-40, as the magazine size would be OK and it will have magazine commonality with the FNS-40 (supposedly), but I would rather purchase the cheaper shooting 9mm.

Very nice DAO trigger...

http://www.kahr.com/...ight-Sights.asp

For the price, I would rather have the greater round capacity of the double stack SIG 229, which is 12 rounds.

Why would you want one, for simple function?

Rent one first & you'll hate the trigger.

Try sig's Short Reset Trigger SRT instead

Simple function, legal ramifications, heavier, all-metal gun, hammer, magazines instead of cylinders, ability to learn trigger control, etc.

I love the DAK system. I have had the HK LEM and found the reset to be shorter but the trigger guard is a PITA on the HK p30. That being said, I find that I can quickly get rounds off in the p229 dak platform if needed. Although, it's been easier because I have been shooting glocks more.

When I was shooting only DA/SA Sig's, it was easier to send rounds downrange. I prefer the short reset of the da/sa trigger but I like changing it up a bit.

If anybody wants to try a dak 229, let me know.

I didn't realize that it had two reset points. I am definitely going to try one before I get one based on that. I would still like to try the compact Kahr and I am intriqued with the PPQ, now. I have a love/hate relationship with the G19. I won't get rid of it, but, I might relegate it to somewhere...

I didn't realize that it had two reset points. I am definitely going to try one before I get one based on that. I would still like to try the compact Kahr and I am intriqued with the PPQ, now. I have a love/hate relationship with the G19. I won't get rid of it, but, I might relegate it to somewhere...

I have a love hate relationship with my Glock 19 Gen4 also. I love it because it is the perfect 9mm. I hate it because it is the perfect 9mm. And now I have no excuse to buy another 9mm.

• Like 1

Are you locked in to only getting 3 permits? Does Bayonne not allow you to renew?

I was told the chief will only approve 3 at a time but they do renew. The one cop I spoke with was going to try and get me six. They don't make me wait long for permits so I don't care.

Did all the moderators on this site take a vow to hate and bash Glocks?

All modern "combat" firearms in the price range are just as reliable as a glock. Having put a lot of ammo through a LOT of different platforms, I feel justified in saying that the least comfortable, least ergonomic, and worst offering in the price range is the glock. This is purely based off of handling and shooting the different weapons. On a personal note I have had very very very poor personal experiences with glock management, and will never own one because of those experiences. Furthermore, based on this interaction, I will always encourage people to branch out beyond the kool-aid of glock marketing, into better firearms. If that means I have taken a vow to hate and bash glocks by your definition, so be it.

All modern "combat" firearms in the price range are just as reliable as a glock. Having put a lot of ammo through a LOT of different platforms, I feel justified in saying that the least comfortable, least ergonomic, and worst offering in the price range is the glock. This is purely based off of handling and shooting the different weapons. On a personal note I have had very very very poor personal experiences with glock management, and will never own one because of those experiences. Furthermore, based on this interaction, I will always encourage people to branch out beyond the kool-aid of glock marketing, into better firearms. If that means I have taken a vow to hate and bash glocks by your definition, so be it.

Well dont discourage other people from one of the greatest pistols designs ever just because of your bad experience with their customer service. Whether you think its all kool-aid or not, it is probably the the best value on the market, and the sales statistics speak for themselves. It's the only guns I see selling out as fast as they come in. There is good reason for that, people aren't stupid.

• Like 2

Well dont discourage other people from one of the greatest pistols designs ever just because of your bad experience with their customer service. Whether you think its all kool-aid or not, it is probably the the best value on the market, and the sales statistics speak for themselves. It's the only guns I see selling out as fast as they come in. There is good reason for that, people aren't stupid.

Well put.

I never said it was Customer Service. Feel free to PM me about my experience if you wish. Your nonsense about it being the "greatest pistol design ever" is purely misplaced marketing hype. If glocks work for you, great. Telling people how perfect they are is also nonsense. I can agree that they work for some, but with all the options out there, it's silly to believe that the outdated glock platform is the end-all be-all.

• Like 1

Well put also...But I have issue with your outdated comment. I dont think the design is outdated, I think the design was so innovative, it does not and did not need to be changed. A company that almost put smith out of business with law enforcement, and springfield armory had to adopt a croation design to stay afloat. Beretta is only holding on because of the militarys backwards thinking. Now with that being said I like the XD series, so much that I own one and I own a 92FS. I am not soo much a fan of the M&P, and I carry HK on-duty, which is a great gun, but carrying, using, shooting all of these guns in qualification and scenario shooting I choose Glock.

• Like 1

Glock does have a great design, but it should have had a real upgrade to its system with many more options available instead of seemingly dropping the ball with the GEN4. The marketing is good but only works because it is backed up by a solid product. I really like the GEN4 and believe it is an improvement, but it could have been better, especially with Glock's resources to get it done. Glock's may be awesome, but there is always room for the improvement of perfection. Maybe it would be very hard to do it with the limitations of the first platform. Also, if you are on top, you don't want to change too much and ruin your product or alienate your customers. Actually, I think the platform should be left relatively alone, and Glock should be working on its next model platform.... Perhaps the Gaston.

Why can't an American company compete?

• Glock should have had a real upgrade to its system with many more options available instead of seemingly dropping the ball with the GEN4. I really like the GEN4 and believe it is an improvement, but it could have been better, especially with Glock's resources to get it done. Maybe it would be very hard to do it with the limitations (though Amazing) of the first platform.

What options would you suggest. I think that if they came out with a Slimline 9 or 40 it would destroy the market. I dont think we will ever see a carbine, but I may be wrong about that. :8):

If you want a quality polymer slimline single-stack pistol look to the brand new XDs from Springfield. In .45acp it has less recoil impulse than a Gen4 G21. There are plans to add a 9 and 40 to the mix as well. SA definitely got it right with this one.

If you want a quality polymer slimline single-stack pistol look to the brand new XDs from Springfield. In .45acp it has less recoil impulse than a Gen4 G21. There are plans to add a 9 and 40 to the mix as well. SA definitely got it right with this one.

Interesting little gun they have there. I like it.

Interesting little gun they have there. I like it.

We got to put a lot of ammo downrange with it @ SHOT. If they can keep the price in the $4-600 range it will be a home run. I just couldn't believe how they managed to reduce the recoil out of such a small-framed weapon.

I actually like having a hammer if it is smooth. I would have gotten a FNH FNX-9 if FNH had bothered to make 15-rounders for it (or even 10-rounders) and if the FNX-9 would have shared the same magazines as the to-be-released striker fired FNS-9. I could have gotten an FNX-40, as the magazine size would be OK and it will have magazine commonality with the FNS-40 (supposedly), but I would rather purchase the cheaper shooting 9mm.

FNX says they will be releasing 10 round magazines for the FNX 9. Here was their response when I asked earlier this month as I was really interested in picking one up.

From: "FNHUSA Customer Service" <[email protected]> To: Me Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 08:31 (1 week 4 days ago)

The product team is working on the 10 round versions of all of our handguns. They expect to have 10 round magazines available by midyear, there are no plans to make a 15 round magazine at this time.

FNH USA

Customer Service Center

1-800-635-1321

I have to chime in here. Is the glock one of the best guns designed? yes. The design is getting dated though. They are making a profit and imo they won't change anything until the market share changes.

The fact that they almost put other companies out of business doesn't matter. They didn't. That is the reason why we hear about comeback stories. Remember, Gaston Glock was not a gun maker at all and kinda decided to change the market by bring polymer to the gun world. Are their better designs? I think so, but to each his own. I think each manufacturer has something I like. Do I like Glock's? yes but that doesn't change my opinion. I like a lot of guns.

As far as a slim line glock, Kahr is a slim line glock. They would put Kahr out possibly if they made a slimline.

IMO, I think S&W's grip system is superior to glock. I think the glock backstrap's are hokey. I think the glocks grip is wider than the m&p (subjective, I like them both) so some may choose the m&p over the glock for that reason but I personally prefer the wider grip of the glock at the moment.

I think the fact that Glock warranties for life, gives most people excellent cust service, the fact that they are cheap and function well 99.9% of the time is a great thing and is why they are so successful in the private sector. Today gun companies are making gun that are adapting to peoples hand sizes and needs much more than any other time. I think most glock owners, adapt to the glock. I know I did.

• Like 1

I think anyone who is venturing just needs to go out and shoot a crap load of guns and see which one works best for them. I'm pretty much stuck with HK USP for a while until my dept changes(dont see happening). I like the HK platform and shoot it well enought to qualify as an instructor at least 3 times a year. But as an off duty I have tried the HK compact(which I really liked) but I bought a tan frame back in the day and didnt like it very much---now I am kicking my self, and the Sig 229r DAK. For some reason my love affair with the G19 always sucked me back in.

I think anyone who is venturing just needs to go out and shoot a crap load of guns and see which one works best for them. I'm pretty much stuck with HK USP for a while until my dept changes(dont see happening). I like the HK platform and shoot it well enought to qualify as and instructor at least 3 times a year. But as an off duty I have tried the HK compact(which I really liked) but I bought a tan frame back in the day and didnt like it very much---now I am kicking my self, and the Sig 229r DAK. For some reason my love affair with the G19 always sucked me back in.

I agree that everyone should shoot these guns first. I am a huge sig fan and I go in circles. Some times you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't. Variety is the spice of life, except when you get married :)

The g19 is a simple gun and is well rounded. I think it's one of the best if not the best gun glock has ever made.

Your nonsense about it being the "greatest pistol design ever" is purely misplaced marketing hype. If glocks work for you, great. Telling people how perfect they are is also nonsense.

I said "one" of the best pistol designs ever, not the best ever.

I can agree that they work for some, but with all the options out there, it's silly to believe that the outdated glock platform is the end-all be-all.

Outdated? Please tell me how you feel about the 1911 design.

Glock set the standard for a modern combat pistol design when it was introduced, and it still holds true today. All these new polymer pistols on the market have one thing in common, they all try to duplicate the Glock. Albeit they add some bells and whistles, like a grip mounted safety, or a way to strip without pulling the trigger, or a different grip angle, reversed rails, etc. So much so, that stubborn, thick headed, no vision, it's got to be a hammer fired DA/SA or nothing Beretta even came out with a polymer striker fired pistol. I am actually suprised there are no patent infrigment suits filed. But in the end, Glock got the design right the first time (just like Porsche) and there is no real need to change it's basic mechanics, it might not be perfect but it is better than most. And it's the pistol that every modern pistol todayis is judged againts.

On another note. I always hear complaints about the grip angle. It seems this is the only real argument anyone can ever come up with to trash the Glock. Do you really think that no thought or research went into the grip angle on such a well engineered piece of machinery. Gaston was no dummy. Here is a little excersie to do at home: Stand with arm straight out in front of you, eye height (as if you were aiming your sights) and extend your pointer finger out and level it. What angle is your hand in at this point? Look familiar?

I said "one" of the best pistol designs ever, not the best ever.

Outdated? Please tell me how you feel about the 1911 design.

Glock set the standard for a modern combat pistol design when it was introduced, and it still holds true today. All these new polymer pistols on the market have one thing in common, they all try to replicate the Glock. Albeit they add some bells and whistles, like a grip mounted safety, or a way to strip without pulling the trigger, or a different grip angle, reversed rails, etc. So much so, that stubborn, thick headed, no vision, it's got to be a hammer fired DA/SA or nothing Beretta even came out with a polymer striker fired pistol. But in the end, Glock got the design right the first time (just like Porsche) and there is no real need to change it's basic mechanics, it might not be perfect but it is better than most. And it's the pistol that every modern pistol todayis is judged againts.

On another note. I always hear complaints about the grip angle. It seems this is the only real argument anyone can ever come up with to trash the Glock. Do you really think that no thought or research went into the grip angel on such a well engineered piece of machinery. Gaston was no dummy. Here is a little excersie to do at home: Stand with arm straight out in front of you, eye height (as if you were aiming sight) and extend your pointer finger out. What angle is your hand in at this point? Look familiar?

The basic 1911 hasn't changed really but there have been major improvements in the design in the last decade. Also, my grip angle using your statement is not good for a glock. It works great for the m&p and the sig but I have to angle my wrist a lil more for the glock.

On another note. I always hear complaints about the grip angle. It seems this is the only real argument anyone can ever come up with to trash the Glock. Do you really think that no thought or research went into the grip angle on such a well engineered piece of machinery. Gaston was no dummy. Here is a little excersie to do at home: Stand with arm straight out in front of you, eye height (as if you were aiming your sights) and extend your pointer finger out and level it. What angle is your hand in at this point? Look familiar?

Using your exercise it looks like a Tokarev would fit my hand best...

To answer your question, the grip is crap, the trigger feels like it's being pulled through mashed potatoes, the sights are crap, the recoil is abnormally stout, and it looks like dog-crap.

Furthermore, you will not change your mind about glocks, and neither will I. I will continue to encourage people to try different pistols and reach their own conclusion, and you will most likely talk about Gaston Glock as if he's your savior. I'm done with this thread.

To answer your question, the grip is crap, the trigger feels like it's being pulled through mashed potatoes, the sights are crap, the recoil is abnormally stout, and it looks like dog-crap.

Mashed potatoes and dog-crap. That is an awesome analogy.

Abnormaly stout recoil? Ever shoot a airweigh J-frame or a full power 357 magnum? They developed a Gen4 with a dual Recoil Spring Assembly for those with sissy wrists.

Sights. They can be changed. Actually you will find more sight options for the Glock than any other pistol on the market.

Now I know why Gun For Hire stopped sponsoring this site.

Funny thing is, I used to hate Glocks too. Then I realized I only hated Glocks because I couldn't find anything better.