Underdog

Double Action Only 9mm

Does anybody have any thoughts/recommendations on a 9mm, preferably all-metal handgun that is double-action only with about a 5-6 lb. trigger that is not that ammo sensitive/specific?

Does anybody have experience with a Beretta PX4 double-action only?

I would like to find a full size or compact PX4 preferably in stainless with 15-round magazines and the ability to remove the front sight, aftermarket TFO sights and a decent concealed carry holster. Does it exist? Does anybody have experience with one? Where can I find one? If I got the standard "F" version, can it be converted to DAO only? Do all the of them come with a safety/decocker?

Can a Stoeger Cougar 8000 be converted to DAO?

I would like to find a full size or compact PX4 preferably in stainless with 15-round magazines and the ability to remove the front sight, aftermarket TFO sights and a decent concealed carry holster. Does it exist? Does anybody have experience with one? Where can I find one? If I got the standard "F" version, can it be converted to DAO only? Do all the of them come with a safety/decocker?

Check out the Beretta forums. Those guys are very knowledgeable and I'm sure someone can answer this for you if no one on NGF can.

All PX4's do have removable front sights. There are options for sights, i just don't know which ones. I did however just come across Trijiicon night sights for the PX4.

A Type F Beretta PX4 can NOT be converted to DAO. A Type F can be converted to type G (Decocker Only, No Manual Safety).

That being said there is a Type D and A Type C Beretta PX4.

Type D = No Safety, No Decocker, DAO trigger, restrike capable

Type C = No SAfety, No Decocker, Constant Action trigger =it's a half cocked trigger, almost a SAO trigger, no restrike capability .

Unfortunately the Compact model is not available in Type D or C as of yet. But the Full SIze PX4 can be found in Type D and Type C on Gunbroker. Stainless or "Inox" models are not available in Type D or Type C. As a matter of fact I remember just seeing a Full Size PX4 Type C on Budsgunshop.com with 10rd mags (15rd mags also available from Beretta) at a good price. WHen you search for Type C, search = Beretta Constant.

PX4's are plastic framed guns. Stoeger Cougar is the all metal version of the PX4. Beretta made Cougar originally, then sold the machining and rights to Stoeger. They are essentially still Beretta's. I am not sure about the the newer Stoegers, but Beretta did make Type D (DAO) cougars in full size and mini's in 9mm, 40, and 45. You can find them on GB.

• Like 1

Although not a DAO trigger have you looked at the Walther PPQ its a striker fire pistol with a "defense trigger" it breaks at about 5LBs and the trigger reset is .1 inches. It has become my favorite pistol and is extremely accurate in my opinion. I could understand if its not what your looking for but definitely worth giving a look.

• Like 2

Although not a DAO trigger have you looked at the Walther PPQ its a striker fire pistol with a "defense trigger" it breaks at about 5LBs and the trigger reset is .1 inches. It has become my favorite pistol and is extremely accurate in my opinion. I could understand if its not what your looking for but definitely worth giving a look.

How does it work with all sorts of Ammo, including cheap practice Ammo?

How does it work with all sorts of Ammo, including cheap practice Ammo?

See my Walther PPQ thread on this forum. The PPQ is a very impressive firearm and almost all YouTube reviews recommend it. I have shot a fair few brands of ammunition now including Hollow Points and not had any failures. I've listed some of the ammo I've shot in post #29 onwards.

For me it is an A+ firearm and one I'd recommend people try. The only real downsides are the limited accessories as it is not as common as a Glock, however every week more holster manufacturers etc are adding it to their production line.

I've put coming up to 2000 rounds through the PPQ with no failures. I will be at a GFH Urban Pistol course tomorrow which will likely result in shooting ~600 rounds and I am confident the PPQ will perform flawlessly and I will have no failures. I will be taking a mixture of ammunition (115gr, 124gr, 147gr, Winchester, S&B, Federal, Speer, Remington) just to finish of the last few 'orphan' boxes from when I tried 2 boxes of each ammo type from each major manufacturer.

Going forward my ammunition of preference is Speer Lawman.

There is also a lot of information on the Walther forums.

TheWombat

Patriot...If you want something 5-6lb and will run any ammo you feed it go with the Glock. You cant go wrong. All the guns listed are nice but with Glock and more specifically the Glock 19 you can get the trigger pull, 15 rounds and concealability that you are looking for. Don't overlook Glock because they are "plastic".

Patriot...If you want something 5-6lb and will run any ammo you feed it go with the Glock. You cant go wrong. All the guns listed are nice but with Glock and more specifically the Glock 19 you can get the trigger pull, 15 rounds and concealability that you are looking for. Don't overlook Glock because they are "plastic".

You get all that in the Walther PPQ, which is arguably a better firearm than the G19...

• Like 1

There are no countries, armed forces, law enforcement organizations or other groups know as user of the Walther PPQ as service sidearm. Glock owns 65% of the LE market just in this country not including our military and other countries. I love them because they are a great combat handgun that has been proven over and over again, not just a gun that sits in the safe gets pulled out on the weekend shot 50 rounds through and cleaned and put back in. But to each his/her own. Buy whatever you like and interests you.

• Like 1

There may be no users of the PPQ at present, however there are a number of users of the P99 on which it is derived. Admittedly nowhere near the number of users of Glocks, at least partially due to Walthers not coming in .45 caliber and being more focused on the European market.

For me it is personal preference, the PPQ solved some of the aspects of the Glock 17/19 that I personally didn't like, e.g. ergonomics, controls, trigger. Glock have made improvements on some of these aspects with the latest Gen 4.

They are both great brands, best thing for the OP to do is to try them all and see which they personally prefer.

hth

TheWombat

I have been researching the PPQ since the posts. It seems like a good gun at a good price point. I just might have to give it a shot. I like all guns, but wih everything people have favorites. IMO Hickok45 does some good reviews, thats the one I watched on it.

I have been researching the PPQ since the posts. It seems like a good gun at a good price point. I just might have to give it a shot. I like all guns, but wih everything people have favorites. IMO Hickok45 does some good reviews, thats the one I watched on it.

I did some research myself. First thing I noticed is the Walther is bigger than the Glock 19 . The Walther is right between the The Glock 17 and 19. It is taller than the 19 and shorter than the 17. It does seem like an excellent choice for NJ residents in 9mm as it is almost a Full SIze 9mm with 15rd mags standard. No manual safety, striker fired, poly frame. It looks to be a good substitute for Glock, if you don't like the Glock grip. And it's is just as ugly as the Glock.

Thank you all for your advice.

After looking into your suggestions, I think I am most interested in a SIG DAK. My next step will be to track a SIG DAK down to try, and if its trigger really handles like a nice S&W revolver, then I will probably get a 229 DAK.

I think more and more companies are going to make double-action-only because there will be more demand, especially since government agencies and police departments are adopting the DAK system, and because of the liability factor.

I don't know what double action or single action mean when it comes to a striker fired pistol. I know that I don't like to feel the hammer tension and hammer movement so striker fired guns and single action are my preference.

I don't know if I've posted this before, but if I did, it was a long time ago. Since we seem to have some interest in the DAK system, I'll post this again as a PSA...

DAK stands for Double Action Kellerman, after the man that invented the system. The whole point of DAK is that there are two different trigger reset points - thus two different lengths of pull. It takes a lot of practice to get acclimated to the trigger and being able to feel the reset points and make a conscious decision as to which to use, especially under stress. I've spoken with the firearms trainer of the Phila DA's office (they are equipped withP229's with the DAK system) and he told me that, once acclimated, it is just a matter of muscle memory.

So, why two different reset points and what's the advantage? If you are close-up and personal and rate (quantity) of fire is the primary concern, as opposed to accuracy (quality), you use the shorter reset point - less distance to cycle the trigger = faster rate of fire. Downside of that position is that with the shorter reset, you have less leverage on the trigger linkage so your weight of pull is higher.

For aimed accurate/non-hurried fire, use the longer reset and you get a lighter pull (longer reset = more leverage, less weight). There is approximately 1.5# - 2# difference in the weight of pull between the two reset points. In a stressful situation, you probably won't notice the difference.

The hammer always works from the partially cocked (hammer intercept notch) position, except in the case of a misfire, where the hammer will be all the way down, since the slide didn't cycle.

You can demonstrate the two different reset points with an empty gun. Pull the trigger (after checking to make sure that it is unloaded, of course) and hold the trigger to the rear of the trigger guard. Cycle the slide manually, with the other hand, and then slowly release the trigger. You will hear a distinct click at the first reset point. If you continue to release the trigger, you will hear a click for the second reset. Repeat the exercise, but don't go to the second reset, just pull the trigger again after the first reset point is heard/felt. Repeat but let it go to the second before pulling again (don't forget you have to manually cycle the slide between trigger pulls) - now you have felt the difference in the trigger pulls caused by the DAK system.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 1

I had a 229 DAK in 9mm and IMO it felt terrible compared the HK LEM and Glocks triggers. I carried it for about 6 months then sold it. It was a good gun but just not for me. To me the LEM and Glock triggers are far better in reset distance and clean breaks.