MedicYeti

I'm writing tickets. What to expect?

What was the real reason she got pulled over for in the first place? Example, pulled over for speeding, but the officer wrote it for a non moving violation so its just a fine w/o points...which add up as revenue for them. Unless one is using an iPad on the dash for their GPS, I can't see getting pulled over just for that IMO.

If theres a camera in his/her car recording, they're probably not going to blatantly come out and say this is what you did, but I'm gonna cite you for this.

If there was some point to this, besides fleecing us, we'll never know. No disrespect intended for any particular cop, but we have far too many cops enforcing silly rules. Next we can't talk on cell phones while driving. The government wants to feel you up to get on an airplane. We have long since abandoned freedom for "safety".

There is way too much being done in the name of "safety" and that mindset is what causes people to think they can dictate gun laws in the name of "safety", even if the laws are actually counter-productive.

Until we stop dictating "safety", and allow people to take responsibility for the risk in their lives, we are not going to have any relief on the gun law front.

If society feels they can tell you whether you can have a GPS on your dash, they certainly believe they can control your access to weapons.

• Like 1

That's the problem. People don't take responsibility for themselves. They are too quick to pass blame onto others. Once people start taking responsibility for themselves then maybe things will start to change.

Well though that is a problem, that isn't thee problem. When the government uses police as revenue generators, that is when people get cited little things. That has nothing to do with personal responsibility.

Although I do wear my seatbelt all the time, I think it is foolish to force it upon everyone. Same goes for cell phones and bicycle helmets. Of course, this is my opinion. Flame away.

+1

It is wrong for the government to protect you from yourself.

I always ask people who think that we should have laws compelling seat belt use this question: If it's so dangerous to drive a car while not wearing a seat belt, why are motorcycles legal? I have yet to hear an answer that can apply the same logic to both ends of that question. Either you are for allowing people to accept their own risk or you are for the government nanny state telling you what is good for you.

Texting while driving cannot be done safely. Driving while talking on a hand held cell phone is no different than driving while talking to someone with a handsfree device or someone actually in the vehicle, it's the conversation that's the problem, not the method that it's conveyed, and some people can do it fine and others can't drive even without distractions. You cannot legislate people out of distracted driving.

FYI - I always wear my seat belt as well, it's stupid not to.

• Like 2

The issue isn't the police alone, though they are part of the chain. The problem, much like the OP expressed, is that people feel they have the right to limit what other people do in the name of safety. If we can't tolerate some other guy taking risks that we wouldn't take ourselves with an automobile, why would we tolerate him owning a gun? If we won't let him own a gun, then we've just given up the 2nd amendment.

We all need to tolerate each other if we are going to get this genie back in the bottle. As I read many of the posts in this thread, many are ready to dictate rules to what they see as irresponsible drivers. If you think that, then don't be suprised when someone wants to dictate rules to "irresponsible" in their eyes, gun owners.

If you can't tolerate people taking risks, or being just plain stupid, then you have no reason to expect them to respect what you think is your "right", but they think is unsafe.

Why do people always forget about insurance companies in these kinds of discussions?

PEOPLE being all mad about other people taking risks in a car is a circle jerk. Insurance companies get the laws passed.

Rant all you want about people tolerating each other but collective bitching means nothing against the insurance industry's money. Which, by the way, is all built on risk taking.

That's the problem. People don't take responsibility for themselves. They are too quick to pass blame onto others. Once people start taking responsibility for themselves then maybe things will start to change.

We've got a chicken and egg problem here. To have responsibility for yourself, you have to have control over your own actions. If I have to deal with thousands of nitpicking rules governing every aspect of my life, am I in control of my actions, or is the government?

To be specific, if I can't drive down the street with a GPS sitting on my dash for fear of a bogus ticket, am I responsible for the quality of my driving? I think we could get rid of 2/3 of the traffic cops and accidents would go down because people would stop trying to figure out whether there was a cop behind every bush.

Man, quit trying to save the world. Let the donut-boys handle it. Otherwise, let live and learn.

yeah sorry I strongly disagree.. I have intervened in some DUI instances where I feel had I not gotten involved there was serious injury or potential for loss of life.. that life could be mine.. yours.. or worse.. one of your loved ones.. your wife.. or child.. I don't leave the house every day looking to play cop... but if I see a serious dangerous situation.. you can bet I WILL get involved.. the last issue I watched a guy cross the median of the parkway in the grass.. he then proceeded to drive erratically (50-80+mph in the passing lane) as I pulled off the parkway he almost crashed so I called it in.. and as I was on the phone he smashed a concrete barrier.. when I got out to see if he was OK.. he was trying to back the car up and drive away.. I took his keys and would not let him leave till the police got there.. that may bother you.. but if I saw something like that.. and did nothing and went on to read about him taking a life.. I would not be able to deal with that.. we are a community.. can't just ignore what is going on around you.. if you do one day it might bite you in the a**..

• Like 1

As someone who also rides a motorcycle I get really angry when I see these douche-nozzles talking on their phones and blocking a large chunk of their view by holding the cell phone up to their heads. At least use a bluetooth! So many of these idiots have almost run me off the road while on my bike. I started riding in 1999 and what a difference just ten years makes. Once cell phones became popular it's become so much more dangerous to be out there on a bike, sometimes its almost scary because you see them and you KNOW they don't see you. You give them a quick pop of the horn and they look at you like you did something wrong. I had one lady gimme the finger after I honked at her for almost running me off the road, I had to swerve into opposite lane to avoid her. Good thing nobody was coming,

Texting, forget about it, cant be done. I used to think I could until one time I thought I was just looking down for a second and looked up and was probably a mile down the road.

Do everyone a favor. HANG UP AND DRIVE

• Like 1

Man, quit trying to save the world. Let the donut-boys handle it. Otherwise, let live and learn.

i don't know who you directed that at, but the OP, a parmedic or something similar, is empowered to write tickets for just that reason. Just as firemen and sanitation workers.

I imagine that if you were the person going to have to pick the carcasses up off the street you might have a different feeling about it as well.

Doing nothing and waiting for the police to handle it is kind of against what I consider my right to defend myself and others.

I had to sign a "driving without insurance" ticket against some idiot who hit me. After 5 reschedules in court, I agreed for her to pay my $600 (500 deductible & 100 for me) and I would drop the ticket. She agreed to pay me in 2 months. 2 months later, no $$. I went back to court on the next hearing and she never showed up! now, $300 warrant for her arrest & ticket still proceeding. NOT dropping anything now...f**k this b*tch!

• Like 1

I don't leave the house with the intention of playing cop. If I wanted to be a police officer I would have taken the test and gone to the acadamy. I don't care what people do to put themselves at risk. I agree with some of you who feel that laws for seatbelts (for adults) or motorcycle helmits (for adults) is too much of an encroachment of the government in our personal business. If an adult wants to ride a motorcycle without a helmit, drive without a seatbelt or act in other ways that put them in danger then they can do it.

My issue is when someone puts another person in danger. If snaggletooth wasn't wearig a seatbelt I wouldn't have cared. Snaggletooth was risking the life and safety of a toddler by not restraining the child. Now I care. Adults can comprehend the risks and benifits of an action, children can not perform these thought processes.

Sorry to offend but the logic "I did it and it turned out OK" is really ignorant. Since child restraints were developed child mortality and morbidity have dropped astronomically. That fact that you rode without restraint and survived is a small miracle, not an excuse to blow off the developments in child restraints. Medicine used to use leaches to bleed the devil out of sick people too, and it occasionally worked. Next time you are sick, don't go to the ER, jump in a lake and let me know how it turns out.

• Like 2

I don't leave the house with the intention of playing cop. If I wanted to be a police officer I would have taken the test and gone to the acadamy. I don't care what people do to put themselves at risk. I agree with some of you who feel that laws for seatbelts (for adults) or motorcycle helmits (for adults) is too much of an encroachment of the government in our personal business. If an adult wants to ride a motorcycle without a helmit, drive without a seatbelt or act in other ways that put them in danger then they can do it.

My issue is when someone puts another person in danger. If snaggletooth wasn't wearig a seatbelt I wouldn't have cared. Snaggletooth was risking the life and safety of a toddler by not restraining the child. Now I care. Adults can comprehend the risks and benifits of an action, children can not perform these thought processes.

Sorry to offend but the logic "I did it and it turned out OK" is really ignorant. Since child restraints were developed child mortality and morbidity have dropped astronomically. That fact that you rode without restraint and survived is a small miracle, not an excuse to blow off the developments in child restraints. Medicine used to use leaches to bleed the devil out of sick people too, and it occasionally worked. Next time you are sick, don't go to the ER, jump in a lake and let me know how it turns out.

Very well said.