MedicYeti

I'm writing tickets. What to expect?

I feel that is adults do something stupid, they get what they deserve. I feel when children are permitted to do something dangerous, their parents/caregivers are fully responsible.

My wife, son, dog and I were on our way home after running errnads. We witnessed a car pull out of a driveway, in front of a vehicle, with a 3 or 4 year old girl hanging half out of the rear drivers side window. The girl was not restrained in the vehicle. I have scraped dead children off the street when they weren't restrained in minor crashes so this sight really bothered me. I pulled a U turn and followed this car. The little girl got back in the car but bounced around the rear seat during the ride. I called the local police department, gave them the car description, plate number and the direction of travel. I told the dispatcher I was following the vehicle, gave a description of my vehicle, gave my cell number and continously updated him on our location. We got on the parkway and I was kicked to the NJSP. We got off and I was kicked back to the township. At a traffic light the girl hung out the window again. I couldn't close the conversation and get the camera up quick enough for a picture before the driver pulled the girl down and closed the window. I continued to follow her as we crossed another townships line and I was kicked to a different dispatcher, still no officers were able to catch us. I followed this woman all the way to her apartment complex where I hung back then went to the police department.

I wanted to confront her but considering the number of times I have done CPR on dead kids, or pronounced innocent children on the highway, I knew my anger would get the best of me and I'd likely knock out her last tooth. I went to the second townships PD (where the woman lives) and wrote a ticket (even though the class 2 officer tried to talk me out of it). I'm going to hit the first townships PD and sign a ticket there too.

I assume it will be the word of my wife and I vs. The word of Snaggle Tooth. I don't know if this will go anywhere but I refuse to just let it go. Someone needs to stand up for this child and car seats are FREE to people who need them. No credit check. No financial checks. FREE!!!

So, what should I expect in the court?

Thanks and Happy New Year!!!

• Like 1

If I have seen what you've seen I'd probably be behind you 100% but it's just all these nanny laws that I hate. I want the police to use their resources to protect me from criminals that might mean to do me or my family harm. Stupid people are going to do stupid stuff.

Keep up the good work.

Doing something that puts yourself in a potentially dangerous situation, well whatever, you make your own decisions. Doing something that puts others in danger, including your own children, not cool. At all.

You will be asked to ID the driver in the courtroom (not necessarily the registered owner). If you overcome that hurdle its best if your wife comes and testifies as if its only you and the driver its a case of he said, he said. If the driver claims someone else was driving it depends on the judge's outlook. He can say produce the driver or dismiss the case.

I wrote a red light ticket to a guy who showed up in court with the three other guys in the car and they all testified the light was green. The judge told the guy he had to find him not guilty but warned him not to go through any imaginary red lights in town again.

Like Griz said, you'll have to ID the driver, and then the judge will want proof that what you said took place, did take place. It will not be easy, but good luck to you. I tried issuing a guy who tried to run me off the road on my motorcycle, and it went nowhere.

As stated.. Without proof the case will be heard and dismissed unless the driver admits guilt.. Of course it depends on the judge and also if you have a witness and driver has no one... But the majority of the time it will be dismissed with a warning.. Always good to get proof HOWEVER do not take a cell pic or video while driving.. So if you have a pic or video a passenger was the one to take it lol

why would his account.. the fact that he called it in to the PD.. his ability to ID the driver... and the testimony of his wife be enough? while I understand "proof" would be an added bonus.. it is obvious there is no ax to grind.. and it is unlikely that they would simply fabricate the story.. do people not get convicted of crimes based on witness testimony?

A coworker of mine one day got a summons in the mail for throwing some pennys out the window at a woman who was riding his a** , speed limit was 35 he was doing 40 and she wasnt happy about that so she rode his a** for a couple miles , well a couple days later a summons , so now he has to take a day off of work to go to court , first time he goes to court the woman never shows , so now hes even more pissed and is rescheduled , second time the woman arrives late and he has to waste another whole day off fighting charges he damaged her car , she said he threw ROCKS and damaged the whole front of her car which was nor true it was a few pennys , soooo moral of the story dont throw sh*t out your window and even though the ticket you write against someone may not go anywhere you are still waisting that persons time and money which may be just as bad !!!

A coworker of mine one day got a summons in the mail for throwing some pennys out the window at a woman who was riding his a** , speed limit was 35 he was doing 40 and she wasnt happy about that so she rode his a** for a couple miles , well a couple days later a summons , so now he has to take a day off of work to go to court , first time he goes to court the woman never shows , so now hes even more pissed and is rescheduled , second time the woman arrives late and he has to waste another whole day off fighting charges he damaged her car , she said he threw ROCKS and damaged the whole front of her car which was nor true it was a few pennys , soooo moral of the story dont throw sh*t out your window and even though the ticket you write against someone may not go anywhere you are still waisting that persons time and money which may be just as bad !!!

Guess he f*cked with the wrong woman that day, didn't he. :)

why would his account.. the fact that he called it in to the PD.. his ability to ID the driver... and the testimony of his wife be enough? while I understand "proof" would be an added bonus.. it is obvious there is no ax to grind.. and it is unlikely that they would simply fabricate the story.. do people not get convicted of crimes based on witness testimony?

MV violations are "quasi-criminal" and only require a preponderance of evidence and nor beyond a reasonable doubt. The fact that he called the PD really does nothing to prove the case but does independantly establish the time frame this occurred. If there is more testimony (Medic and his wife) vs just the defendant there should be a guilty verdict. Read the red light story I related in post #4. It can also go the other way.

You are correct in that people get convicted of crimes every day solely on witness testimony but having physical evidence certainly helps.

I feel that is adults do something stupid, they get what they deserve. I feel when children are permitted to do something dangerous, their parents/caregivers are fully responsible.

My wife, son, dog and I were on our way home after running errnads. We witnessed a car pull out of a driveway, in front of a vehicle, with a 3 or 4 year old girl hanging half out of the rear drivers side window. The girl was not restrained in the vehicle. I have scraped dead children off the street when they weren't restrained in minor crashes so this sight really bothered me. I pulled a U turn and followed this car. The little girl got back in the car but bounced around the rear seat during the ride. I called the local police department, gave them the car description, plate number and the direction of travel. I told the dispatcher I was following the vehicle, gave a description of my vehicle, gave my cell number and continously updated him on our location. We got on the parkway and I was kicked to the NJSP. We got off and I was kicked back to the township. At a traffic light the girl hung out the window again. I couldn't close the conversation and get the camera up quick enough for a picture before the driver pulled the girl down and closed the window. I continued to follow her as we crossed another townships line and I was kicked to a different dispatcher, still no officers were able to catch us. I followed this woman all the way to her apartment complex where I hung back then went to the police department.

I wanted to confront her but considering the number of times I have done CPR on dead kids, or pronounced innocent children on the highway, I knew my anger would get the best of me and I'd likely knock out her last tooth. I went to the second townships PD (where the woman lives) and wrote a ticket (even though the class 2 officer tried to talk me out of it). I'm going to hit the first townships PD and sign a ticket there too.

I assume it will be the word of my wife and I vs. The word of Snaggle Tooth. I don't know if this will go anywhere but I refuse to just let it go. Someone needs to stand up for this child and car seats are FREE to people who need them. No credit check. No financial checks. FREE!!!

So, what should I expect in the court?

Thanks and Happy New Year!!!

Were you on a hands free device during the call? Also, you can still use the phone's camera while a phone call is in place.

Seat belts and car seats with children are a violation i take very seriously. I will hammer anybody who breaks that law. I stopped a lady driving a big conversion van with 5 kids. All where running around the vehicle after I stopped her. Gave her a summons for each kid. Kids don't know enough and it is a parents responsibility to keep them safe. If you can't afford a seat either stop pumping out kids or use one of the free programs that are available

Seat belts and car seats with children are a violation i take very seriously. I will hammer anybody who breaks that law. I stopped a lady driving a big conversion van with 5 kids. All where running around the vehicle after I stopped her. Gave her a summons for each kid. Kids don't know enough and it is a parents responsibility to keep them safe. If you can't afford a seat either stop pumping out kids or use one of the free programs that are available

Funny thing is, when we were kids(well, for me anyways) we never wore seatbelts...jumpin around the back seat causing a ruckus...those who are almost 40+ know what I'm talkin bout...just the way it was and we all turned out fine...I think lmao.

Although I do wear my seatbelt all the time, I think it is foolish to force it upon everyone. Same goes for cell phones and bicycle helmets. Of course, this is my opinion. Flame away.

Although I do wear my seatbelt all the time, I think it is foolish to force it upon everyone. Same goes for cell phones and bicycle helmets. Of course, this is my opinion. Flame away.

The way I look at it is that seat belts and bicycle helmets are predominantly to protect you (or the other occupants of the vehicle) whereas I've seen plenty of people talking on cellphones weaving across lanes, not paying attention to what is going on around them (of course that could just be the standard NJ driving rather than the cell phone! ). I therefore am much more concerned on people talking on the phone while driving (i.e. holding the phone in one hand or resting it on their neck) as it is a danger not just to them.

I do ask people whom I'm driving with to wear their seat belt even if they are adults, if we are unfortunate enough to be in an accident an unbelted back seat passenger can kill someone in the front seat with their momentum. If I am cycling with kids I do have them wear a helmet. I do not talk on the phone while driving (other than via bluetooth and even that is not a common occurrence)

TheWombat

I'll go with you on the Seat-belts and Bicycle helmets, but Cell phone while driving and/or texting, nope, I have had people almost run me off the road in not only my truck and cars, but on my bikes, had one at exit 11 off the TP at coming up on the tolls push me and about 2 other cars across at least 10 lanes because they wanted to go to the GSP North and not South and remembered too late to get over. I was almost the White in the Oreo that day, and it was the other cars seeing what was happening and reacting as well as I was.

My step-daughter was given a ticket for having a GPS on the dash. The LEO cited it as "Obstructed Vision". There must be millions of people driving while blind. I'm satisfied that wwe have far too much traffic enforcement. We could cut the number of police in half, use them to deal with actual crime, and probably not have much more in the way of accidents.

BTW: My family is now avoiding the town that issued that citation, to the disadvantage of some fine merchants that have their businesses there. Who needs the risk of more BS tickets?

• Like 1

My step-daughter was given a ticket for having a GPS on the dash. The LEO cited it as "Obstructed Vision". There must be millions of people driving while blind. I'm satisfied that wwe have far too much traffic enforcement. We could cut the number of police in half, use them to deal with actual crime, and probably not have much more in the way of accidents.

BTW: My family is now avoiding the town that issued that citation, to the disadvantage of some fine merchants that have their businesses there. Who needs the risk of more BS tickets?

Technically the summons is correct but that is not something that it is normally written for. I would not write it for that.

Technically the summons is correct but that is not something that it is normally written for. I would not write it for that.

Not sure what really happened, but that or a Seatbelt ticket rather than that blown stop sign or just a tad fast on the speed is cool.

The one I really hate and would like to see given more is the failure to yield to Emergency vehicles, that one just pisses me off.

Not sure what really happened, but that or a Seatbelt ticket rather than that blown stop sign or just a tad fast on the speed is cool.

The one I really hate and would like to see given more is the failure to yield to Emergency vehicles, that one just pisses me off.

You are correct. That summons is also acceptable as a replacement to a points violation. Failure to yield is extremely aggravating and a tough one to write because it's usually me they dont yield to when I am responding to a call

I wear my seat belt alot but sometimes i do not because my scar gets irritated by it sometimes, so longer rides i may take it off cause it is actually safer im not messing with it all the time.. I have been pulled over for it only by troopers so far..only ticketed once but i drop a name of another trooper i know very well which has kept me from being ticketed the other times.

The ticket was nonsense and her driving isn't going to be any better for the experience. If it was knocked down from something else, the moron failed to explain it.

However, that is not the point. We seem to feel that as a society we can dictate all sorts of minor rules, right mountains of laws, hire way too many police to enforce them, and after all this telling other people how to live act outraged when those people think they have a say over our gun rights, what we can own, where we can use them, how we carry or transport them, etc.

If you want to keep your gun rights, start by being a bit tolerant of someone who might just be having a bad day.

• Like 1

What was the real reason she got pulled over for in the first place? Example, pulled over for speeding, but the officer wrote it for a non moving violation so its just a fine w/o points...which add up as revenue for them. Unless one is using an iPad on the dash for their GPS, I can't see getting pulled over just for that IMO.

If it was knocked down from something else, the moron failed to explain it.

If theres a camera in his/her car recording, they're probably not going to blatantly come out and say this is what you did, but I'm gonna cite you for this.