rdsmith3

An example of our ludicrous laws

I was considering a self-defense/hangun training class that starts at 6:00 PM on a Friday. The class is in Morris County, but I work in distant Bergen County, almost in NY state (near Montvale). The earliest I can get off work is 4:30, so I would have to go directly from work to the training. Because of Friday traffic, I do not have time to stop at home (which is on the NW edge of Morris county). That means I would have to bring a handgun with me from home to work, and leave it in my car all day, then transport it from work to the training.

The first issue I have is that my employer prohibits weapons on company property. I could probably get around that by parking across the street.

The second issue I have is that driving from home to work, and keeping a gun in my car all day, is probably not a reasonably necessary deviation. In other words, I could be a criminal for doing something simple like this. If I had a softball bat in my car because I was going to play softball after work, it would not be an issue.

I'm going to take the training at a later date, when I can take a 1/2 day off work so I don't have the issue of potentially illegally transporting a weapon. However, I just wanted to illustrate how ridiculous our laws are. I am a law-abiding person, and I just don't want any problems. It is quite possible, for example, that I could be rear-ended driving home from work and the officer sees a gun case in the back of my SUV.

You're doing it the legal way. Others would simply put it in the back, covered by something and do their best to avoid causing a problem. Bad guys don't think about it and carry it in the car under the seat or tucked into their pants.

I thought about that, but it would be just my luck to get rear-ended, either in our parking garage or on the drive from work. I'd rather not take the chance.

Yep, Murphy's law has a funny way about doing business! :p

But your point is illustrated perfectly. The law is ridiculous. It is so ridiculously sad that for your example above, you could become a criminal and jailed for doing nothing wrong or unlawful, but it just so happens to be illegal. It almost makes me sick.

Yep, Murphy's law has a funny way about doing business! :p

But your point is illustrated perfectly. The law is ridiculous. It is so ridiculously sad that for your example above, you could become a criminal and jailed for doing nothing wrong or unlawful, but it just so happens to be illegal. It almost makes me sick.

I am a rather aggressive driver but safe and when I'm transporting to and from the range, I turn into your high school driving instructor and then some. Needless to say that it would not compensate for other less tactile drivers and I could still be a victim of an accident but since Murphy and I are well acquainted,I try to minimize as much exposure as possible.

That brings up a interesting question. Our employer has no policy about firearms on site... if I had to do what the OP is doing would I be within the confines of the law?

BTW,This is nuts... I think it is easier to carry in the USSR.

For handguns to and from only with reasonable deviations and work would not qualify.

• Like 1

It is important to understand the difference between the law, and how things are enforced. In the US today it often doesn't matter what the law is, if you are doing something illegal or not, or what you think you can do. What matters is what the police, state prosecutors, and DA think they can get away with. So really, what it boils down to, is what you think YOU can get away with. It often helps to follow the law, but that is certainly far from the only factor.

So if you are a good boy and listen to everything the man says............

:roulette::(

I'm a complete noob so please pardon me if this is a dumb question.

Can you disassemble the gun and put some parts in the glove box and others in trunk? Then, bring only some parts into work with you?

Or

Disassemble the gun at home and bring some parts to work on Thursday and leave them there overnight. Then, put the rest of the parts in your truck Friday morning. After work on Friday, leave with the parts that you brought in on Thursday and reassemble the gun when you get to the training class?

Can you disassemble the gun and put some parts in the glove box and others in trunk? Then, bring only some parts into work with you?

Or

Disassemble the gun at home and bring some parts to work on Thursday and leave them there overnight. Then, put the rest of the parts in your truck Friday morning. After work on Friday, leave with the parts that you brought in on Thursday and reassemble the gun when you get to the training class?

No, because you will still be going to the range from work, and work is not considered an exempted place to posses a HG. Has to be from your home, your land, your business/workplace (that you own), a place of repair, or another target range. Those are all exempted places for possession of a HG.

Or

This is interesting. I think you may still be considered to be in constructive possession of the handgun if you have all the parts. I wonder at what point a handgun is no longer a handgun? Say I removed the barrel from my handgun, left the barrel at home, drove around with the frame and slide only assembled in the trunk? Hard to argue constructive possession when you lack critical parts.

No, because you will still be going to the range from work, and work is not considered an exempted place to posses a HG. Has to be from your home, your land, your business/workplace (that you own)....

I know, its a stretch, but what if you own any shares of your employer's stock?

For handguns to and from only with reasonable deviations and work would not qualify.

actually it's vague enough to me that there is no way to tell if that would qualify.

what is reasonable.

stopping for gas?

wendy's drive through?

changing a flat tire?

work on the way to the range for an 8 hour detour?

depending on who you ask you'll get different answers.

actually it's vague enough to me that there is no way to tell if that would qualify.

what is reasonable.

stopping for gas?

wendy's drive through?

changing a flat tire?

Different juries will have different answers. Therefore, there is no right answer. The jury will decide what is reasonable if the trial goes to jury. There was someone, a writer or lawyer that put forth the proposition than emergency room visit was unreasonable. I don't buy it. To me, gas and drive through Wendy's are fine. A flat tire is of course fine. Emergency car repair: car repair guy has to go in your trunk to get the spare tire... Sometimes life happens.

what is reasonable.

stopping for gas?

wendy's drive through?

changing a flat tire?

A judge or Jury would probably be able to answer that better.

I have run into the same dilemma. RTSP is about 10 minutes from where I work which would theoretically make it great for going during lunch or right after work. However, I live in the opposite direction so it's very inconvenient for me to have to drive home, then to the range, back home then back to work. I went to RTSP with a coworker during our lunch hour recently and it pained me to not be able to bring my gear and have to rent. That day the range was packed so we couldn't shoot but it was frustrating regardless. I am sure many of us have felt this way at some point.

Not that I propose this as a method that facilitates illegal transportation, but why drive around with your gun case sitting in the trunk makes, so to say? For some extra piece of mind, why not put it into a duffel bag or a small carry-on, and lock the zipper with a gym-locker type padlock?