panteramatt

Can you guys help me out

Ok its been covered but I couldnt find a direct answer. I went to my local police department to get my handgun permits. I put 2 on the top. When I went to pick them up the clerk told me I could only get one at a time and I would have to get the next one 30 days later. Now after reading on here I see I can get multiple permits at teh same time just have to wait 30 days between buying guns. She also told me I would have to pay the $18 fro the background check again which is bs. Can you guys tell me what I should say to her when I call tomorrow and show me somewhere I could get proof?

What township is this?

Show them the letter from state police. Send email to NJ2AS and have them give a friendly phone call. This is their current project to force township compliance.

Second option, call your mayor, and let them know your town is breaking the law. One phone call, and problem solved. Some towns just don't know any better.

Second option, call your mayor, and let them know your town is breaking the law. One phone call, and problem solved. Some towns just don't know any better.

Interesting point. Would work esp if the mayor wants those votes, though he may just get some lip service from them on it.

Interesting point. Would work esp if the mayor wants those votes, though he may just get some lip service from them on it.

or... the mayor wants to avoid a lawsuit for the town. As per a few speakers at NJ2AS, this has yielded results quite frequently.

Go to the documents page on www.nj2as.com. Print out the one from the State Police saying local PD MUST issue more than one permit. If they don't follow that, pursue with the State Police. You are out of luck with regard to the $18 though. Every time you apply for permits you have to pay it.

What township is this?

Show them the letter from state police. Send email to NJ2AS and have them give a friendly phone call. This is their current project to force township compliance.

Sounds like best bet.

Well guys, just got off the phone with my local lead detective in charge. He went over it with me telling me that he sat down with the attorney general and went over the guidelines. He told me that they can only give one at a time cause they said whats to stop me from taking multiple permits to different dealers in a short span and getting more than one handgun at a time. He told me he was completely on my side and agrees EVERYONE should own a firearm and hates most of NJ's rules but its what he has to do. Kind of made sense. I told him I spoke to several other people that said they can get multiple permits and he said although thats possible, doesnt mean their doing the correct thing.

I think your getting the run around. I suggest calling the njsp and explain to them exactly what happened. I am also a big fan of paper trails. Send a.email with what happened and make.sure.you set it up so you get a receipt when they open.it. paper trails are the.beat especially when.Ur trying to prove a point

Since the Detective was cooperative and helpful, bring him a copy of the state police letter. It is VERY EXPLICIT about pd not limiting permits. You will get to see whether he was just blowing smoke up your butt.

Is this the part I need from the letter:

Your agency is to issue to, and provide the applicant all permits in excess of those requested

specifically for, and under the exemption application. Your department will retain the

requisite number of approved and valid permits as requested in the applicant’s exemption

request until such time as the completed and approved (or denied) application for exemption is

returned to you.

Can you guys tell me what part of that letter I need? All I see it talks about is multiple guns not permits.

Looks like your past needing the part of the letter if you've already started talking to the State PD. But, for future reference... The letter is 6 pages of multiple gun exemption information and the very last paragraph notes that the issuing PD is not authorized to limit the number of permits that are issued.

Good luck.

Is this the part I need from the letter:

Your agency is to issue to, and provide the applicant all permits in excess of those requested

specifically for, and under the exemption application. Your department will retain the

requisite number of approved and valid permits as requested in the applicant’s exemption

request until such time as the completed and approved (or denied) application for exemption is

returned to you.

Here's the section you want. Page 5 at the bottom:

Miscellaneous

Please note, regardless of an applicant’s submission or declination of submission for exemption to the recently enacted legislation, your agency is not authorized to, and cannot limit the number of Permits to Purchase a Handgun to an applicant. Those applicants issued multiple permits without exemption are required to comply with the current law, more specifically the purchase of no more than one handgun in a thirty day period.

Which also answers the detective's question about "what prevents you from buying two in less than 30 days". You are required to comply with the law. (And NICS would stop you when you go through an FFL.)

• Like 2

Sweet. I'm going there tomorrow with ammo! Haha.

In this State and on a public forum, it is probably worth a clarification that your trip to the police station will be with ammo in the figurative sense (i.e. printed documents.) :)

Family is from there and I did a short stint at WVU.

And they issued you a permit? It's a wonder you even got a permit!

Just kidding, my brother went there.