Sign in to follow this  
Shawnmoore81

People fight temple police

So, the temple police officer bumps into a guy. The guy presumably says something like "Hey, watch it asshle!" and was greeted with "Obey my authoritay, out of the way plebe!" and a melee ensues? Alternatively, did the guy that got bumped come full bore at the officer right out of the gate and then the melee ensues?

Depending on how the police officer reacted to his own error will have a distinct bearing on how I feel about this one. If he was contrite and was attacked anyway, lock up these kids for a while. Was the cop contrite?

So, the temple police officer bumps into a guy. The guy presumably says something like "Hey, watch it asshle!" and was greeted with "Obey my authoritay, out of the way plebe!" and a melee ensues? Alternatively, did the guy that got bumped come full bore at the officer right out of the gate and then the melee ensues?

Depending on how the police officer reacted to his own error will have a distinct bearing on how I feel about this one. If he was contrite and was attacked anyway, lock up these kids for a while. Was the cop contrite?

Wait, we're talking about "Campus Police" where they are GOD on campus. What do you think?

Wait, we're talking about "Campus Police" where they are GOD on campus. What do you think?

I think we don't know. I see glaring problem where the victim ends up resisting arrest(for what?) but then he could have just flipped out on the police.

Doesn't matter, if your friend is getting arrested you do not interfere. He is lucky the cop didn't put a round into him, the other guy who jumped in was going to choke out the cop. What then? Who knows what they would have done, maybe reached for the unconscious officers gun. Like the FOP man said, he is lucky there wasn't a shooting because it wouldn't have been a cop that died.

BTW fugg temple, went there for a frat party one year and the campus police busted it, bunch of straight up pricks, not that Philadelphia police are any better.

I think we don't know.

I think you are right, but then again bumping into the suspect with a bicycle seems like quite an unorthodox way of initiating an interview, doesn't it? We don't know if the bicycle tag was intentional or unintentional either. Only those involved know for sure.

Somebody bumps into me with their bicycle, I expect an appology. I'm just sayin' (Cop or not)

I agree we weren't there so we don't know but that incident likely set the tone for what followed.

You are seeing a snipet of the video and making assumptions that the police are wrong. I am not saying they are right or wrong, but I am not making assumptions. Who knows what happened? The parties involved.

After cop bumps guy with bike,

"Temple University says when two officers tried to question 19 year old Rodney Ganbrell at 16th and Montgomery, he started the struggle."

Why are they questioning him? Other than to say sorry and are you okay they have no business questioning him.

There is a lot more to this story.

From the little information we have, it sounds like it could be a classic 'contempt of cop' type thing. I could be wrong, but that is my guess. Officer bumps guy. Guy has some choice words for the cop. Cop doesn't like it, questions guy, tries to detain him because he is angry with him. And then this happens, with cop wrestling with guy, guys friends sees it and starts wrestling with cop, and then the video shows what happened from there. Probably would have been avoided if either a) the cop apologizes, b) the guy doesn't say anything, or c) the cop just continues on his way and doesn't make an issue out of it.

Again, this is just my guess, and could be entirely wrong. But I have seen enough incidents where things like this happened for the sole reason that the officer was angry that somebody wasn't complying with them (including when said person had no obligation to do so).

On a somewhat, but kind of unrelated note, I think the charge of "resisting arrest" is the biggest crock of *# charge possible. If you are making an arrest, you shouldn't expect the person to be all happy and be in total compliance with you. Assault is already a crime. People often resist when they feel they are being arrested wrongfully, and courts have ruled you are allowed to, if not obligated to do so.

Wow.. I have to be honest.. I am amazed how many anti-police people are on this site.. First of all we don't know exactly what went down.. But it seems you all have it in your mind that the cop bumped this kid and then went into God mode... What if he accidently bumped the kid and the kid began just began screaming profanities while the cop was apologizing and when they tried to talk to him he became disorderly which resulted in the scenario.. Second of all.. If you are being arrested you have NO RIGHT to resist or fight.. Even if you feel you are being arrested unjustly it does not matter.. You are not permitted to resist arrest..

• Like 1

. What if he accidently bumped the kid and the kid began just began screaming profanities while the cop was apologizing and when they tried to talk to him he became disorderly which resulted in the scenario..

Sure, that is possible. You are hypothesizing just as me and others were. No difference. Nobody was claiming to be right.

Second of all.. If you are being arrested you have NO RIGHT to resist or fight.. Even if you feel you are being arrested unjustly it does not matter.. You are not permitted to resist arrest..

Really?

“Citizens may resist unlawful arrest to the point of taking an arresting officer's life if necessary.” Plummer v. State, 136 Ind. 306. This premise was upheld by the Supreme Court of the United States in the case: John Bad Elk v. U.S., 177 U.S. 529.

Weird.

• Like 2

Sure, that is possible. You are hypothesizing just as me and others were. No difference. Nobody was claiming to be right.

Really?

“Citizens may resist unlawful arrest to the point of taking an arresting officer's life if necessary.” Plummer v. State, 136 Ind. 306. This premise was upheld by the Supreme Court of the United States in the case: John Bad Elk v. U.S., 177 U.S. 529.

Weird.

I think you are missing the point there.. So what are you saying.. That if I say your are being placed under arrest for disorderly conduct but you think you were not disorderly then you can just punch away? Or if I observe you stick something in your pocket and go to walk out of store and tell you that you are under arrest for shoplifting but you think that it does not qualify as shoplifting that you can punch away? NO.. If a cop just walks up and goes to slap cuffs or just starts beating you for no reason then you can make that argument.. The minute an Officer tells you that you are being placed under arrest for whatever the case is.. you CANNOT resist.. The only way you are walking away from a resisting arrest charge is in an EXTREME circumstance where it is found that the officer had no reason to arrest.. Otherwise you better believe you are going to face the penalties..

• Like 1

I think you are missing the point there.. So what are you saying.. That if I say your are being placed under arrest for disorderly conduct but you think you were not disorderly then you can just punch away?Or if I observe you stick something in your pocket and go to walk out of store and tell you that you are under arrest for shoplifting but you think that it does not qualify as shoplifting that you can punch away?

Please try and read my post before blatantly misrepresenting what I said. Here, I'll help you out, and I am quoting myself.

" Assault is already a crime."

NO.. If a cop just walks up and goes to slap cuffs or just starts beating you for no reason then you can make that argument.. The minute an Officer tells you that you are being placed under arrest for whatever the case is.. you CANNOT resist.. The only way you are walking away from a resisting arrest charge is in an EXTREME circumstance where it is found that the officer had no reason to arrest.. Otherwise you better believe you are going to face the penalties..

Well at least here you seem to get it, more or less. So were you just trying to misrepresent me purposefully, or were you trying to argue?

Wow.. I have to be honest.. I am amazed how many anti-police people are on this site..

I think it's a matter of perception. Today people see videos on the news almost weekly now of Cops caught on camera beating somebody unjustly. Rarely do people get to see the good side of what Police do. Plus in the old days, a Police Officer would 'walk a beat" and get to know his neighborhood and neighbors too. A relationship of sorts was developed. Today that relationship building is gone within the community (for the most part - some communities still try to achieve this). Then there's the mindset of most Cops too. You're either an LEO or your not and if your not, your either a perp or a potential perp. I will agree that the regard that the general public has of Police today is not nearly as good as it once was and some people (who are not the bad guys) still fear the Police for a variety of reasons. It is what it is and today, thats just how it is. Then you throw in speed and radar traps forced upon the Police to generate revenue for towns and that also adds to the distrust and dislike for the Police. And just because we the general public cannot legally use our cell phones while driving, why should the public get upset when they see the Police using theirs while driving daily. (And PLEASE don't try to tell us it's all for official duty etc. - That's BULL and even Grandma know that. ) Plus Police hand out courtesy P.B.A. cards and window stickers so their friends and family can avoid getting a ticket, now certainly the general public should just overlook that, right? Get the picture? There's a reason for everything if you just look for it. Please don't shoot the messenger though as these are just given reasons, not my personal opinion of Police.

• Like 1