keithco88

Anybody know why Ray's on 22 closed?

Sorry if this has been covered, I did a search and didn't get any results. I moved to Union County about 2 yrs ago and I think Ray's was still open, then of course after I bought my first gun I drive by and it's closed up. Anybody know why it closed?

More importantly, is anybody considering reopening it???

I dropped by at RTSP today and while the place is REALLY nice it's limited to 9 ports and they clearly already have enough clients to fill the place up. It was 2pm on a Friday and there was a 3 person wait! I think they're great people and they're doing really well, so I'm glad...but we need more ranges.

There's nothing in Union County or Somerset County that I know of that doesn't require a club membership. Anybody wanna buy Ray's with me and reopen it? Provided there's not some crazy legal, structural, health, etc reason it was closed down.

Just wanted some dirt and to hear if anybody knew of a range in Union County that might be in the works. I'd love something that supports rifles but I'll take a pistol range. Any worthwhile rifle range would need to be >100 yards and I just don't see that happening with the population density in this area.

Sorry in advance if this turns out to be a crazy thread!

From wht I understand the owner had recieved multiple offers over the years, and finally the nissan dealership next door offered him a large sum of money. That plus the fact none of the kids and or grandkids seemed really interested in taking over the place and he decided to finally take the offer. nobody plans to reopen it as a large sum of money was paid to turn it into what it currently is.. an inventory lot for rt 22 nissan.

Their range fees were WAY overpriced. I went there a few times, and if I recall, it was $14.95/hr per person, regardless of how many ports. I brought guests and even though we shared a single port it cost $30-45 to shoot for an hour. Not to mention the lighting and air handling system were terrible. It was always dark and hazy in the range, and the RO sat in the little cubicle reading magazines. It sucks that a gunshop closed up, but I think the only reason they stayed in business that long is because no other shops were remotely close, and the local police depts frequented the range a lot. I never purchased anything from them though so I can't speak to their sales people, prices, or selection.

As for why it closed, I heard the same story that raz told.

I've heard the cops still use the range :roulette:

I swore I saw a shop further out west in Bound Brook...but it doesn't show up on google and i'm not down that way very often.

Is there a thread or other link (or does anybody know) what kind of zoning, permits, etc are required to setup a range? I just feel like we're doomed to drive down to Ft Dix or to PA to get a decent rifle range unless somebody manages to buy a farm and rezone it. And I don't see too many farms in Union county, or anywhere on 22/78 until you get out past Clinton. I've only been in the state for 5 yrs...but I'm not optimistic

I swore I saw a shop further out west in Bound Brook...but it doesn't show up on google and i'm not down that way very often.

Is there a thread or other link (or does anybody know) what kind of zoning, permits, etc are required to setup a range? I just feel like we're doomed to drive down to Ft Dix or to PA to get a decent rifle range unless somebody manages to buy a farm and rezone it. And I don't see too many farms in Union county, or anywhere on 22/78 until you get out past Clinton. I've only been in the state for 5 yrs...but I'm not optimistic

A lot of money, a lot of patience, and a combine to mow through all the government bureaucracy

Spoke to another owner recently about opening up an indoor range in Somerset County......he said it was a bad investment.....NJEPA laws, smoke and exhaust equipment and little revenue to be made....high insurance rates...he wasn't interested after looking into the idea.

Spoke to another owner recently about opening up an indoor range in Somerset County......he said it was a bad investment.....NJEPA laws, smoke and exhaust equipment and little revenue to be made....high insurance rates...he wasn't interested after looking into the idea.

Better idea, wait for a range to start going broke and buy out the range for 20 cents on the dollar out of bankruptcy.

To build a new range, you are in for about $1.2 to $1.5 mil for the range, not including inventory. It was about $200,000 per lane iirc.

Ray had numerous offers to sell the shop. It was rumured that The Bullet Hole tried to purchase it twice, but both times Ray sabotaged the sale because he never really wanted to leave. He was forced by his kids who basically ran the place to sell out. They had it after having been working there since right out of College. I also hear that Lou's Gunshop also made an offer at one time. The lead clean up was no small feet. I do not know what plans the car dealership has for knocking down the Iconic building.

Ray had numerous offers to sell the shop. It was rumured that The Bullet Hole tried to purchase it twice, but both times Ray sabotaged the sale because he never really wanted to leave. He was forced by his kids who basically ran the place to sell out. They had it after having been working there since right out of College. I also hear that Lou's Gunshop also made an offer at one time. The lead clean up was no small feet. I do not know what plans the car dealership has for knocking down the Iconic building.

I don't know that they really do. THey wanted it as an inventory lot, and I don't think the number of extra cars you could park there would be worth the cost of knocking it down.

I don't know that they really do. THey wanted it as an inventory lot, and I don't think the number of extra cars you could park there would be worth the cost of knocking it down.

at the time they purchased it, space was at a bit of premium in that section of 22 - a few places were using lots a few miles down for storage.

now, there's a ton of space real close by.

what is the name of that nissan dealership? single owner or a corporate chain?

North Plainfield Nissan. I had thought it was affiliated with the dealership further down on 22 in springfield, but according to the web site, it's been family owned and operated for 30 years..going by the look, it's not owned by a major company/group

............................................ I do not know what plans the car dealership has for knocking down the Iconic building.

I'm clearly showing my age here ........................... but ................................................................ The site on 22 Westbound wasn't the real iconic Ray's building. The original was on the eastbound side of 22 and burned in a huge fire that shut down 22 for days (and that was before 78 was in place all the way out) . Ray built the new store afterward.

Effingers in bound brook sells guns but there's no range.

Effinger's in Bound Brook is sales only, no range. Al little pricey but they are the only people in the area so they don't care. It is a comprehensive "Sport Shop" that was rebuilt in a new building a few years ago and it real nice, it's like a stand alone Dick's, and does a lot of wholesale uniform business with all the local schools.

Their range fees were WAY overpriced. I went there a few times, and if I recall, it was $14.95/hr per person, regardless of how many ports. I brought guests and even though we shared a single port it cost $30-45 to shoot for an hour. Not to mention the lighting and air handling system were terrible. It was always dark and hazy in the range, and the RO sat in the little cubicle reading magazines. It sucks that a gunshop closed up, but I think the only reason they stayed in business that long is because no other shops were remotely close, and the local police depts frequented the range a lot. I never purchased anything from them though so I can't speak to their sales people, prices, or selection.

As for why it closed, I heard the same story that raz told.

Bob's little sportshop is $20 per lane, $25 for two people in one lane, and there's a maximum of two per lane. 4 people would cost $50....

Effinger's in Bound Brook is sales only, no range. Al little pricey but they are the only people in the area so they don't care. It is a comprehensive "Sport Shop" that was rebuilt in a new building a few years ago and it real nice, it's like a stand alone Dick's, and does a lot of wholesale uniform business with all the local schools.

Really not true. Their gun prices have come way down. The sales help is very helpful also.

Really not true. Their gun prices have come way down. The sales help is very helpful also.

Thanks 9x19! I used to live right by there for 32 years and frequented the old store as well as the new store. Truthfully, I have not been there in a while since I moved down the shore. Glad to hear their prices have fallen in line.

As of this morning, they had started to tear down the building for Rays - guessing it will be just a pile of rubble by the time i pass by otw home tonight

it's been being torn down for over a month. You've been able to see daylight at the rear of the building when looking through the front doors for weeks. They are just taking their time.

...There's nothing in Union County or Somerset County that I know of that doesn't require a club membership......

I dont see why people seek out more expensive, less safe & more rule burdoned ranges. Join a club! For $58/year you get unlimited range use 8am-11pm 365 days a year a SCFGPA in Bridgewater with no RO, no time limits, no crowds, safer people.

It is a shame to see rays go, though :(

Cool store

it's been being torn down for over a month. You've been able to see daylight at the rear of the building when looking through the front doors for weeks. They are just taking their time.

ah, i never looked that close. this morning most of the building was gone