matt6669

Need some opinions

Best bet is to find a friend with a good truck and trailer, figure 6-800 in fuel plus toll's and that can get everything on your list down there pretty much besides the boat and trailer. However if he has a large enough trailer even taking that as well is a possibility.

Try uship.com

I say keep the car, winter tires are fine in the summer and if they're worn i bet you can find a set of all seasons brand new for $400 or less.

I would offer to help you out but unfortunatly my truck is down at the moment.

With a good 2500 or bigger pickup and a 30ft trailer this is easily possible IMHO

You do realize that towing just the boat and the trailer by itself with the car is at the limit. Let alone adding a 600 pound safe etc etc is definitely not going to happen.

Adjust your tounge weight by shifting the weight around on the trailer. Once your rolling your car wont know the difference. Your not travelling through a mountain range.

Adjust your tounge weight by shifting the weight around on the trailer. Once your rolling your car wont know the difference. Your not travelling through a mountain range.

Disagree, you'll feel it on the brakes and when/if the wind starts blowing.

Towing with a small car is fine, but you really need to have experiance and kow your limits. Specially dealing with a FWD vehicle.

When I moved from Ohio, I just rented a 12' Ryder truck. It fit everything, including my motorcycle, bed, couches, etc.

I caught a ride back to Ohio with friends who came up for Christmas and drove my car back the next trip, but you could fly back from FL.

The 14' Uhaul truck and gas is going to cost you $1700 bucks. Suck it up, ask mom for a loan or just run it up on your credit cards. If you have a job, that's only a few weeks pay

Screw the winter tires. Run 'em down to bologna skins, it won't matter in Florida.

Ditch the boat. There will be zillions of boats down there and you won't have that one as a giant eyesore in your yard until you can get it into the water. If you have to, just give it away. 5 years from now the loss won't make any difference to you.

I know the answer you want: $400 for everything, including gas. It just ain't going to happen.

• Like 2

even with a pickup you're looking at $500 in fuel minimum for both ways by my estimates. Closer to $800 towing

If you really and honestly plan on buying a pickup once you're down there you could look for one here then just rent a trailer. Trailer rentals are usually <$100 a day even for something on the larger side.

Eff the tires, sell the boat. or leave it at your parents if possible until you can come get it

As for the safe...I picked it up myself in a rented truck with a lift gate. It was loaded with a fork lift, and me and a friend were able to unload it with a furniture dolly. It now sits in my garage as I can't find anyone to bring it upstairs. I called every moving company in the book. One guy said to call heavy equipment moving company and expect to pay close to $1000. It is a 660lb safe....just saying.

As for the safe...I picked it up myself in a rented truck with a lift gate. It was loaded with a fork lift, and me and a friend were able to unload it with a furniture dolly. It now sits in my garage as I can't find anyone to bring it upstairs. I called every moving company in the book. One guy said to call heavy equipment moving company and expect to pay close to $1000. It is a 660lb safe....just saying.

Is this the ultimate in a non sequitor or am I just completely missing something?

Oops - nevermind. Hmm, difficult nut to crack. I think you might need to leave a few things behind.

You could have the safe, loading bench, and maybe a pallet of stuff shipped down by common carrier for a few hundred bucks. As long as you are flexible on schedule. Make sure that they will have a pallet jack and lift gate to load and somebody will be home at your parent's house. If you can hitch up the boat that would cover everything. But a 16-24 hour drive with a hitched boat is going to be tiresome.

I'm just pointing out he should be aware of possible pitfalls in regard to moving the safe. I certainly didn't think it would be as big of a deal as it turned out in my case.

Sorry to be so vague!

Ah, I understand.

For what it's worth, I have laser cabinets that check in at around 630lbs...they're on wheels and a pain to move around.

Moving the safe won't be a problem at all. I moved the safe into my parents house where I live now practically by myself, just with my brother providing support. I have several friends in Florida that are already offering to help move the safe, said they will even pick it up and carry it into the house if that's what they have to do to get it done. So, like I said, safe is the least of my worries.

Getting my stuff to Florida in an economical way that makes sense is a whole different story.

Mail the stuff that does not need to be supervised to your new location (i had a family friend move ALL of his belongings to Cali this way and he saed 5000 dollars total. then for the stuff you refuse to let out of your sight (the guns ect.) rent a trailer. Hell... buy one and sell it down there...

Matt,

I really, really hate to be the old guy here with the experience to suggest what you do NOT do. My trip was San Antonio to NJ (many moons ago) pulling a homebrew trailer with all of our earthly possessions onboard, and there weren't many possessions then. All it takes is one blown water pump, busted belt in the middle of nowhere or, God forbid, a cracked head due to overheating. Yes, I had all three! There is no way the economics work. If you are going to insist on pulling a trailer you should really get rid of all of the heavy stuff before you leave. If you have your heart set on a Diesel truck, that's fine - if you can afford it. I recently sold my Diesel VW Passat Wagon. It was great at first but the maintenance ate me alive and fuel is now $4.00/gallon. Back to the truck - do you NEED 4WD, especially in FL? If not, you can save a bunch of bucks in the upfront cost, fuel economy and ongoing maintenance by going 2WD.

I thought about selling the safe, selling the reloading bench, and loading as much as I could into the G6 and making the trip. The old man says this is the most logical choice with no emotion involved.

I thought about not getting 4wd but everyone i talk to who lives in Florida says don't buy a truck without 4wd. You won't use it a lot, but when you need it your going to hate yourself for not buying it. I plan on owning some acreage and the g/f has horses so I forsee myself pulling a horse trailer so I think I will definitely need the 4wd. Trust me, that was the first thing on my list i was like ok, i can save 2k dollars right here without going 4wd but it just doesn't seem to make sense.

I have a couple things I need to do, that will make my life easier:

1. I need to find out if this shitty state is going to let me register the trailer that the boat is on. I have a couple ways I'm trying to go about doing this, if this doesn't happen, then the boat must be sold ASAP even if for a loss.

2. I'm going to take pictures of the boat the way it sits right now, list it on craigslist for what I want for it, if it sells it sells. If it sells, it makes my decision a 100 times easier. I have a quote from old dominion for 1300 dollars and that'll take everything. Done deal, I drive to Florida in my car with just my guns, no big deal.

3. In the mean time, try and work on the sailboat as much as I can to make it more appealing to someone who wants to buy it.

At this point in the game, all my stuff is coming with me. It doesn't make sense to sell the safe and the bench and all this other stuff just to have to repurchase it when I arrive in Florida.

The other option I still have is flying to Florida, grabbing my girlfriends Chevy 1500 and my buddy Chris and making the drive to NJ. I can load up the truck with the safe the bench the bed and the other crap. And put just the boat and trailer behind the car which if I take the centerboard out and everything else I'm looking at having only 600 pounds behind the G6 which is no biggie. With gas and airfare to fly down there, I'm looking at 700 dollars and I have all my stuff. That's always an option, but it's a **** ton of driving so I'm not immediately jumping to that conclusion.

Keep em coming

I stopped reading right there. Hope you learned something from your "experience." ;)

You know...I get it, you think NJ sucks a**. I do too, but there are other considerations for people to come here.

I moved here from Ohio. I moved here because my girlfriend lived here. I was making 28k/year in Ohio in 1995. My first job here was 48k in 96. I paid off ALL my debt in 14 months. Since then I'm well more than double that. There is no way I could be making what I make now in Ohio. Personally, I REALLY hate PA. I traveled across that godforsaken state about 100 time in 94/95/96. I would rather not work than live there. So you can take your hate of NJ and stick it straight up your a**.

• Like 1

I have several friends in Florida that are already offering to help move the safe, said they will even pick it up and carry it into the house if that's what they have to do to get it done.

Why didn't think of that! Just carry a 600lb safe up to my bedroom. Alrighty then...I guess I just need stronger friends...

Why didn't think of that! Just carry a 600lb safe up to my bedroom. Alrighty then...I guess I just need stronger friends...

Have you ever watched riggers? I have. They would move the safe into the house, lay down 3/4 plywood and use a winch to drag it up the stairs. They would pull it up 1 foot at a time and use a steel bar to prevent it falling if the winch brake fails. It's pretty cool to watch.

He's suggesting that because a move to NJ is asinine, therefore anything you have to say beyond that is stupid, so it should be ignored.

LOL - I guess he's right. I was too stupid to figure that out!

You know...I get it, you think NJ sucks a**.

Not at all, I routinely defend NJ in casual discussion. I just couldn't go back to living there.

I do too,

Not "too." Your issue, don't include me in it.

I moved here from Ohio. I moved here because my girlfriend lived here. I was making 28k/year in Ohio in 1995. My first job here was 48k in 96. I paid off ALL my debt in 14 months. Since then I'm well more than double that. There is no way I could be making what I make now in Ohio. Personally, I REALLY hate PA. I traveled across that godforsaken state about 100 time in 94/95/96. I would rather not work than live there. So you can take your hate of NJ and stick it straight up your a**.

Classy.

He's suggesting that because a move to NJ is asinine, therefore anything you have to say beyond that is stupid, so it should be ignored.

I'm suggesting you stop putting words in other people's mouths.