Sign in to follow this  
Pizza Bob

Question on IDPA Divisions & Guns

Before I ask my question, I have to preface it with another, that being is the following correct?

Glocks, M&P's and my beloved Steyr are all classed as SSP's (Stock Service Pistol). I read somewhere (can't find it now) that the SA XD's are classed as ESP's (Enhanced Service Pistols).

OK, if the above is true, why? I was under the impression that all those pistols named are striker fired pistols that operate from a partially cocked condition in a DAO mode. Why the discrimination against the XD?

Adios,

Pizza Bob

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/general-sa-xd-xd-m-talk/7188-xd-idpa-ssp-esp.html

From the writings of Ken Hackathorn on this very issue...

A number of IDPA members have questioned why the Springfield Armory XD pistol is not allowed in SSP Division. Some folks who do not understand small arms design have stated that the XD is the same as a Glock. When it comes to the design of the trigger action and how it relates to IDPA they are wrong. IDPA criteria for SSP is that the trigger system be Double Action…..and for IDPA purposes the definition of DA trigger is that the trigger perform TWO actions. ONE, it cocks or retracts the hammer/striker, and TWO it releases the hammer/striker. In a Glock pistol, the striker is 2/3 retracted by the cycling action of the pistol. However, when you pull the trigger on the Glock, the trigger does retract the striker the final 1/3 of its movement and then releases the striker via the connector to allow the pistol to fire. This means the Glock trigger technique does both pull the striker back and release it...aka Double Action by IDPA definition. The XD pistol has the striker fully retracted in the cycling of the action. Note that little cocking indicator sticking out of the back of the XD slide (rear of the striker). All that the XD trigger does is release the striker….thus it is a single action pistol. The XD or HS2000 as it was first known as in Europe was marketed there as a single action. It was first brought into the USA by Springfield Armory as a single action. It is single action in IDPA and thus will be a ESP division handgun until they make a .45 ACP version. One clueless individual informed me that since the XD trigger also moves the trigger activated firing pin block it does two things thus we should call the XD a DA…Colts' Series 80 M1911 pistols do the same thing and we sure as hell aren't going to call them DA….so get over it. The XD is a fine pistol, I have one and really like it. But, it's a ESP pistol in IDPA…..and a darn fine one at that.

j0n, what the heck is BLF? Best Lesbian Friend? I'm an old fart, be kind.

I believe that your XD 3.8 could shoot either ESP or CDP. You are handicapping yourself in ESP as you are shooting against minor calibers. Not sure what the mag capacity is of the XD 3.8, but you would have to load a maximum of 8+1, per CDP rules, but you would only be shooting against other major caliber shooters.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

So to be competitive I need something else

No! Just download your mags to 8+1. Level playing field. SAO, major caliber. It is just that with the 8 round mag limitation the 1911 is the most common pistol in this division.

Maybe then my new scorpion will be the best

Hey, whatever. IDPA is all about using a defensive gun you own and may actually carry. Shoot what you shoot best, but no need to get anything new. Of course if that's the excuse you want to use, feel free, I've used it a number of times myself.

Downloading to CDP Division Capacity will make the XD legal in CDP as long as it meets the 165 PF, though I don't know why you'd want to. Perhaps for the challenge. Any SSP gun can be used in ESP, or in CDP as long as it makes PF, any ESP gun can be used in CDP with the same stipulation.