Sandy

Revolver Recommendations Please

The frame and trigger reach is 2/3rds that of the 686.

That is pretty much my biggest concern , reach to trigger :) Don't mind weight , I can handle a reasonable amount of recoil ..Model 60 and 19 are top of my short list right now :) I like the look of that Ruger SP01 too

. Will not be buying without trying :)

Let me jump back in here and just say that the model 60 is a little different from the snub j frame. The model 60 has a full grip as opposed to a 2 finger grip of the snubbie and the frame is full steel as opposed to aluminium or titanium. Has a 3" barrel opposed to a 1 7/8. It is much heavier and will not kick like the j frame snubbie. It is much more comfortable to shoot. The frame and trigger reach is 2/3rds that of the 686.

You have a lot of misinformation in your post. I don't know where you are getting this "full grip" and "two-finger grip" differentiation. A J-frame is a J-frame, is a J-frame. The grip frame has always been the same and they were available in round butt or square butt. The length of the grip has nothing to do with the frame or the model - it has to do with the grips. There have been three different small frames (the I-frame, the J-frame and the J-frame magnum), but they all used the same dimensioned grip frame.

The model 60 is stainless and the 36 is carbon - they are both steel. The 60 was originally chambered only for .38 spl - it wasn't until they changed to the J-frame magnum (which increased length of the frame to accommodate a longer cylinder) that the 60 was chambered for .357 magnum. If you have a pre-96 model 60, do not try to stuff a .357 round in it.

The Airweight and Air Lite series are essentially the same as any other J-frames, but with either aluminum frames with steel cylinders or scandium alloy frames with titanium cylinders. Model numbers designated materials used and hammer configurations.

60's and 36's came with a variety of barrel lengths and sight configurations and are "snubbies".

Adios,

Pizza Bob

You have a lot of misinformation in your post. I don't know where you are getting this "full grip" and "two-finger grip" differentiation. A J-frame is a J-frame, is a J-frame. The grip frame has always been the same and they were available in round butt or square butt. The length of the grip has nothing to do with the frame or the model - it has to do with the grips. There have been three different small frames (the I-frame, the J-frame and the J-frame magnum), but they all used the same dimensioned grip frame.

The model 60 is stainless and the 36 is carbon - they are both steel. The 60 was originally chambered only for .38 spl - it wasn't until they changed to the J-frame magnum (which increased length of the frame to accommodate a longer cylinder) that the 60 was chambered for .357 magnum. If you have a pre-96 model 60, do not try to stuff a .357 round in it.

The Airweight and Air Lite series are essentially the same as any other J-frames, but with either aluminum frames with steel cylinders or scandium alloy frames with titanium cylinders. Model numbers designated materials used and hammer configurations.

60's and 36's came with a variety of barrel lengths and sight configurations and are "snubbies".

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Model 60 3" = 3 finger grip

Model 642 1 7/8" = 2 finger grip

Point was, handling a 2 finger grip j frame is different from handling a 3 finger grip j frame. And a solid steel j frame is much differnt shooting wise than an alloy frame j. I think you just misinterpreted what I was trying to convey.

Model 60 3" = 3 finger grip

Model 642 1 7/8" = 2 finger grip

Point was, handling a 2 finger grip j frame is different from handling a 3 finger grip j frame. And a solid steel j frame is much differnt shooting wise than an alloy frame j. I think you just misinterpreted what I was trying to convey.

There is no correlation between model, barrel length and how many fingers you can get on the grip. The model 60 also came with a 1 7/8" barrel and could be equipped with whatever grips you want.

take a look at some j frames. stick with the 3 or 4" barrels.as for 357 vs non 357. todays ammo is way better than it was 20 years ago. dont rule out a gun b/c it wont shoot some 357 ammo. 38 +p stuff out now has plenty of power. i wont mentions brands b/c what feels good to me may not in your hands. kind of like chevy vs ford or coke vs pepsi. everyone has there likes and dislikes. shopping for new guns is half the fun.

I have another 3 weeks before I can use my next P2P , so I have some time to shop :)

I have very small hands . I'm 4'11 . I have shot my husband's S&W 686 ..the barrel is , I belive , 8 inches . I love the look of it , and I love the way the .357s slam out of it ..the problen is ergonomics. It is just too big for my hand. I have a very hard time reaching the trigger , and the pull is too hard in double action. Can't do it to save my life ( literally) .

Now , I know the snub noses are super hard on the hands , not to mention less accurate , correct? So I'm not considering one .

Basically looking for something that would fit a small hand ( or be easily modified to fit a small hand) ,ability to shoot .357 magnums , and maybe a lighter pull for double action ( that can be adjusted , yes?) .

Are there many ( any) other women on the forum here ? :)

Thanks!

I have a Ruger SP101 in 357 Magnum and 3" barrel. It weighs it at 27 oz and is solid stainless steel. I did swap the standard grips for Hogue monogrips and replaced the front sight with a Meprolight night sight. With the Hogue grips shooting 357 magnums it is quite comfortable for me. Shooting 38 specials are nothing recoil wise. I think it would be worth considering if you're looking for a revolver.
  • Like 1

Shot some last night..1st place is Model 60 so far. Plan to try the Ruger Sp101 and S&W model 19 in 2 weeks or so :)

Question..I looked all over the well organized posted gun laws here but did not see details on the one gun a month thing ..is it calendar month , or is it every 30 days ?

One of our vendors has two excellent candidates at great prices.

38 special

http://www.legacyfirearms.com/Shop-read-309.html

And my favorite revolver in 357. 6" barrel though :( It does tame recoil better though.

http://www.legacyfirearms.com/Shop-read-194.html

Thanks for posting that :) I definitely want to try before buy , I'll have a better idea in a week or so :) .

I'd look for a 4" barreled one.

One of our vendors has two excellent candidates at great prices.

38 special

http://www.legacyfir...p-read-309.html

And my favorite revolver in 357. 6" barrel though :( It does tame recoil better though.

http://www.legacyfir...p-read-194.html

Unfortunately Ron is away until April. He is a snow bird, lucky him! He is a great guy to deal with though, I have several friends waiting for him to come back. My wife hopes April doesn't arrive so I don't go buy more guns from him. ;)