Sandy

Revolver Recommendations Please

I have another 3 weeks before I can use my next P2P , so I have some time to shop :)

I have very small hands . I'm 4'11 . I have shot my husband's S&W 686 ..the barrel is , I belive , 8 inches . I love the look of it , and I love the way the .357s slam out of it ..the problen is ergonomics. It is just too big for my hand. I have a very hard time reaching the trigger , and the pull is too hard in double action. Can't do it to save my life ( literally) .

Now , I know the snub noses are super hard on the hands , not to mention less accurate , correct? So I'm not considering one .

Basically looking for something that would fit a small hand ( or be easily modified to fit a small hand) ,ability to shoot .357 magnums , and maybe a lighter pull for double action ( that can be adjusted , yes?) .

Are there many ( any) other women on the forum here ? :)

Thanks!

Ruger SP101. Has small grips and can handle all the 357 you can feed it.

Also try out the LCR, you'll be surprised how much milder it is to shoot 357s out of this snub nose compared to Smith snub nose wheel guns. The double action pull on this is by far the best out of box pull I've experienced.

I purchased the Taurus 605 with a 3 inch barrel for my wife as well as a HD firearm and she love it even when shooting .357 loads.

I'd suggest a S&W K-Frame, unless you intend to feed it a steady diet of magnum ammunition. The K-frame is the same grip size as Pete's L-frame 686, but on a slightly smaller frame - which should mean there would be a slightly shorter reach to the trigger - try before you buy.

Various custom grips may also alleviate any fitment problems. I prefer Hogue mono-grips. They leave the backstrap of the grip frame exposed, which means no added distance to the trigger - of course it means nothing between your hand and the gun to absorb recoil also.

K-frame .357's to consider:

model 19 (blued) / model 66 (SS) - these both have adjustable sights

model 13 (blued) / model 65 (SS) - these both have fixed sights

As for trigger pull - you can alwyas shoot these in single-action mode. A truly fine D/A pull usually takes the intervention of a good gunsmith. Resist the urge to back-off the strain screw (front of grip frame - bears on the main spring) - it should be screwed in tight.

If you want to go smaller yet, there have been 3" J-frame .357's (5-round cylinders) with adjustable sights - I believe there is (or was) one for sale in the marketplace. Trigger pull on the J-frame guns is generally worse than the larger frames.

Adios,

PIzza Bob

Thanks , this gives me a starting point to start looking. If I really liked the gun , I would be willing to have a gunsmith work on the double action for me. How badly does accuracy suffer with a snubnose?

I really like the look of the Model 66 and the Ruger SP101 - is the Ruger double action only ? I definitely want single/double. Should have said that :)

PizzaBob - why blued? Just wondering :)

If anyone has anything they would let me try at a range ( bullet hole , shore shot , brick armory ? ) , that would be great. You can try mine too lol

Everyone else hit the nail on the head. If the L-frame is a bit too big, a K-frame smith would be awesome. You could get a J-frame if that's still a bit big, but .357 magnum (particularly hotter loads) are going to be a bit harder to manage in a smaller frame.

How badly does accuracy suffer with a snubnose?

PizzaBob - why blued? Just wondering :)

If anyone has anything they would let me try at a range ( bullet hole , shore shot , brick armory ? ) , that would be great. You can try mine too lol

A snub nose is as mechanically accurate as Pete's 8 3/8" L-frame. Whether you can shoot it as accurately is another thing altogether. Between the short sight radius, usually deficient sights, the increased muzzle flash and your anticipation of the recoil - most people tend not to be as accurate - but it's not the gun (tain't the arrow, but the Indian).

Why blued? Because I'm older than Old School and there is nothing more beautiful than a rich, blue revolver.

If you and Pete can get away during the week and want to do a PA gunshop tour, you are welcome to shoot my 19 (6") and/or my 15 (.38 Spl - 4") at Classic Pistol - one of 5 stops we can make.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Great , thanks ! I'll check with Pete on the road trip. I appreciate that . We have an 8 month old and all my babysitters work during the day ..unless you are around on Presidents Day ..maybe Pete will stay home with the kids. He owes me , I sent him to Winslow for the day :) We're talking Bucks County , right ?

A snub nose is as mechanically accurate as Pete's 8 3/8" L-frame. Whether you can shoot it as accurately is another thing altogether. Between the short sight radius, usually deficient sights, the increased muzzle flash and your anticipation of the recoil - most people tend not to be as accurate - but it's not the gun (tain't the arrow, but the Indian).

Why blued? Because I'm older than Old School and there is nothing more beautiful than a rich, blue revolver.

If you and Pete can get away during the week and want to do a PA gunshop tour, you are welcome to shoot my 19 (6") and/or my 15 (.38 Spl - 4") at Classic Pistol - one of 5 stops we can make.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I'm younger than both of you and I couldn't agree more! ;)

We're talking Bucks County , right ?

Yep!

Usual tour is: Surplus City and Classic Pistol - both in the Southampton/Feasterville area. Tanner's in Jamison. Target World in Chalfont and Quinby's in Dublin.

You cannot go wrong with a Smith and Wesson or Taurus revolver that fits you. Unless you are adamant about updating the sights, or are comfortable with spending more money for a S&W, then I would look for a used Ruger Six series, and my favorite of the three (Security Six, Speed Six and Service Six) is the Speed Six. It is a very solid and well-made revolver, and more beefy That a GP100. It is actually made better than a GP100. Ruger switched over because the GP series is cheaper to make. I mostly like it because it is in-between the size of a GP100 and SP101, and I feel that all of the Rugers are tough enough to last a lifetime. The Six will manage recoil extremely well, especially if you get a Hogue rubber grip for it, and it can be quite accurate. You would have to make sure the grip, trigger reach, weight, and hammer/trigger weight were suitable to you, and you would have to pretty much like the sights, but you would not go wrong with one of these. One in a 2.75 to 4" barrel would be just about perfect for what you want.

You can probably find a Ruger Six for about $425 in perfect condition. I would certainly recommend you find one and handle it. I saw one on Gunbroker, locally. If you are interested PM me and I will give you the details.

If you you said that you didn't want a smaller revolver, but I would check out the SP101 or the Ruger LCR and get either in the heavier .357 variety which will aid in recoil management, even if you only plan n shooting .38s or .38 +Ps. Especially, check out the new Taurus Polymer Protector. The Protector has a little more purchase than most snubbies (similar to Ruger Sixes), and yet it might also be the ticket for you. Check out a S&W model 19 as well.

I have another 3 weeks before I can use my next P2P , so I have some time to shop :)

I have very small hands . I'm 4'11 . I have shot my husband's S&W 686 ..the barrel is , I belive , 8 inches . I love the look of it , and I love the way the .357s slam out of it ..the problen is ergonomics. It is just too big for my hand. I have a very hard time reaching the trigger , and the pull is too hard in double action. Can't do it to save my life ( literally) .

Now , I know the snub noses are super hard on the hands , not to mention less accurate , correct? So I'm not considering one .

Basically looking for something that would fit a small hand ( or be easily modified to fit a small hand) ,ability to shoot .357 magnums , and maybe a lighter pull for double action ( that can be adjusted , yes?) .

Are there many ( any) other women on the forum here ? :)

Thanks!

The PIZZA Man RULES! He & I are cut from the same bolt of cloth!

A 4" Model 19 OR even a 4" Model 586 with thinner Houge or Pachmayer rubber grips are the two main guns for you to look at. Stay away from the snub-noses, for all of the reasons that Bob said! For a 6" tube, go with the smaller K-Frame Model 19 (or 66) w/ the same smaller rubber grips. They will fit your hands. They are easier to use in double action than either of the Rugers that have been suggested. Easier to work the speed-loaders too, and all of the Women that I've ever taught to shoot (including my Wife of almost 29 years) just LOVE the 4" mid-size S&W revolvers, including my Model 19 that I've had for going on 35 years! My Model 586 had an "action-job" done on it a couple decades ago. Ate everything I ever fed it without a burp!

YOU WILL LOVE that Model 19! And more importantly, you'll be able to use it all day long cause it doesn't have the "droop" that your Husband's 8 3/8" revolver does. The more you shoot it (the "19"), the better you'll get. And if you want to do any competitions (steel, for instance) it will be well-balanced making for easier "transitions" between target arrays. Also easier on the draw out of a holster, especially off of a Woman's hip.

So now you must run into the arms of that man that wants you to shoot his Model 19! LOL!

Have a great night!

Dave

My tiny 4'11" wife has a Ruger Speed Six w/ 2 3/4" barrel and LOVES it. If you can get your hands on one, I recommend it.

I wish my wife was interested in one of these. I have one in 9mm and love it.

As An FYI, I have a prelock S&W 686 6 inch in stainless steel.

Its as accurate as all hell and I shoot it 95% of the time in DA at the range,

Its much more accurate than my PX4, weighs a ton and I love it.

I have'nt gotten around to putting it head to head with my new CZ SP-01

I'd forget the smaller frame revolvers (K framess, SP101, etc) some people are talking about. Along with the smaller grip they also weigh less which will give you more felt recoil. You could probably deal with it but I'd hate to buy for you another gun and find out it won't work for you.

Try round butt K frame grips on your husband's 686. This usually worked for most women when I was a LE firerams instructor.

The GP100 has the most potential as it doesn't have a grip frame like other guns. This makes it the easiest to make grips for as the grips only have to accomodate the mainspring housing which is a loty smaller than any grip frame. The GP100 also has the weight to absorb the recoil.

As far as the trigger pull goes, yes it can be lightened but you might find yourself with light strikes on some types of ammo. More reliable is to build up your hand strength with a hand exerciser or tennis ball. It doesn't take much to accomplish this. Too many people look for light triggers as a crutch for their inability to develope basic marksmanship and conditioning skills.

One of the best shooters in my office when I retired was a 4-10, 85# woman who could outshoot most be it with a revolver, Glock, or M16.

Thanks ! Funny thing is my grip is incredibly strong. Been doing extensive martial arts since 2001. I can choke or flip a grown man using the collar of his Judo Gi . I lift a lot of free weights too . The problem is using my index finger alone. It either has nerve damage , rhuematoid arthritis , or something. I can't press on things (or type well )wth my index fingers. I can't pinch hard, if that makes sense . I can compete in submission grappling , but I can't button the buttons on my baby's shirt well. The triggers on my husband's PX4 , CZ 76 ( ?) , and my Colt .45 are managable . I'm hoping that better reach , and having more of my finger pad , on a revolver will allow me to pull double .

My girlfriend loves to shoot my model 36... the grip fits her hand perfectly.

Does it absolutly have to be .357? I think a model 60 would serve you perfectly if not..

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_765498_-1_757768_757767_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

You're correct, I've started confusing my s&w models, my 36 is only made in .38 but the 60 is .357/.38

The j frame is a great gun, very small frame and feels very nice in the hand. If you have the oportunity to shoot one please do I think you'll like it. Most gun shops will have some form of j-frame in stock. probably a snub but the feel will still be the same grip wise. pick one up and hold it to see how it feels

You're correct, I've started confusing my s&w models, my 36 is only made in .38 but the 60 is .357/.38

The j frame is a great gun, very small frame and feels very nice in the hand. If you have the oportunity to shoot one please do I think you'll like it. Most gun shops will have some form of j-frame in stock. probably a snub but the feel will still be the same grip wise. pick one up and hold it to see how it feels

Let me jump back in here and just say that the model 60 is a little different from the snub j frame. The model 60 has a full grip as opposed to a 2 finger grip of the snubbie and the frame is full steel as opposed to aluminium or titanium. Has a 3" barrel opposed to a 1 7/8. It is much heavier and will not kick like the j frame snubbie. It is much more comfortable to shoot. The frame and trigger reach is 2/3rds that of the 686.