cycleron

looking for advice on first gun purchase

Hello all,

I am new to the fourm and to gun ownership. I have shot only a colt 45 and a few shotguns.

I am looking to purchase a gun for HD and maybe to carry when I travel out of state. I Would bring it to the range maybe every couple of months. I love the look of the revolvers so i am thinking about going that route. The 3 that are most apealing to my eyes and seem like they will hold there value.

The Ruger 1752 GP100 Wiley Clapp

The s&w 357 mod 60 pro series

The Taurus 651 Protector Stainless 5 Round 357

Any advice is most welcomed.

Thanks

Ron

South jersey

May be worth some research on the pros/cons of revolvers v semi-autos if you home defense and carry are priorities. There will be people who recommend either/or with passion, however depending on the types of scenarios you are envisaging you may find one or other is preferable.

I've seen people struggle with revolvers on Simunitions classes due to lack of capacity and time to reload, then again I've also seen people struggle with semi-autos due to 'complexity'. I can't help much more than that as I am not a revolver person.

On the NRA Basic Pistol course I went to they covered the pros/cons of each and we shot both which was a useful introduction. There are also a few ranges where you can go and rent both as well. GunForHire also do Simunitions training with both revolvers and semi-autos which can be interesting!

I'm sure the pro-revolver forum members will be posting soon enough with guidance.

Welcome to NJGunForum, safe shooting!

TheWombat

I also took the NRA Basic Pistol Course (did mine with the Heritage guys out in Easton) and if you're DEFINITELY going to get a pistol then I'd say it's a worthwhile investment of your time and money before OR after your purchase. I'd say the three biggest benefits I got out of the course were:

1) Holding and shooting a variety of pistols including: DA revolver, SA revolver, Semi-auto SA (1911), Semi-auto DA/SA

2) Q&A on carry and transport laws for firearms AND ammo...NJ has some really creepy laws and while nothing short of a lawyer can give you the full interpretation it helps to have a little more broad knowledge

3) better understanding of ammo types, calibers, etc

I'd like to say #4 was meeting some cool people but I was REALLY hungover the day of the class and in no mood to socialize...my fault, freakin weddings

My only revolver experience was in that class and I found out I can't shoot em for my life...so I'll stick with semi auto's.

Good luck & have fun!

Welcome, Ron,

I really enjoy revolvers and I think that that would be a great choice for you, especially if you are going to practice infrequently and it you don't think that you might be faced with multiple attackers. Someone trained with a quality semi-automatic would probably have a better chance. For most of your potential needs, though, a revolver would be fine. You really cannot go wrong with either a S&W or a Ruger Revolvers. S&Ws are more refined, and Ruger revolvers are less refined, but much less delicate. For versatility and ammunition commonality (there's a lot of .357s/.38s out there), I would suggest something in .357 Magnum that would also shoot the less costly and less recoil .38 Special.

For a semi-automatic, I would suggest something in 9mm. The default there, that would give you the most versatility would (but with tradeoffs as well) would probably be a compact or semi-compact such as a Glock 19. For versatility, I would get the GEN 4. Other quality choices would include an M&P, a Springfield Armory XD, a Beretta 92FS (full size), and there are many more.

But, back to the revolver. I like the tougher over the nicer finish and trigger, so I would go with the beefier, less costly, Ruger. Though a Smith would be very good as well. For a home defense model, I like the GP100 in stainless with a 4" barrel, Hogue rubber grips, and updated tritium sights. Its Smith counterpart would be a 686.

For carry, a smaller, lighter weight revolver would probably be easier to conceal, but it would be harder to shoot. Definitely a handful with defensive rounds of ammunition, especially in .357. I would consider a Ruger LCR in .357 or a Ruger SP101 and find a quality .38 special defensive round to shoot in it.

You may be able to find a compromise in size in Smith or Ruger. Someone else would have to help with possible Smith models, but an older Ruger Six Series (Security, Speed, Service) would probably work very well if you could find one. It's in between the smaller and larger Ruger in size. It's main drawback is that it is a little thicker than the SP101 and that the sights cannot really be upgraded (at least not on the Speed Six), but its positive is that it is wonderfully balanced and is in between the GP100 and SP101 in size, while actually being a little more beefy and solid than the GP100.

Another thought would be to get a 9mm or .40 snubnose revolver, such as an SP101 or Taurus 905 (9mm) or 405 (.40 S&W), and then supplement it with a larger home defense gun in 9mm or .40. You may want to checkout the new Charter Arms CARR. 9mm is cheaper than either .357 or .38 for practice and you would only have to stock one caliber if you were to get a 9mm semi-auto later on.

I would also suggest you pickup David Kenik's Armed Response. This book will give you quite a few insights:

http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/0936783451

The choices that you have would probably work.

The Taurus 651 would be an excellent choice for carry, as it is a double-action only and relatively inexpensive. There is also a polymer Taurus Protector that might be a lighter choice to carry, but I like steel, so I would get the 651 over the synthetic one.

I like the Wiley Clapp GP100, however, I would prefer tritium sights on it to the fiber optic ones for home defense. If TruGlo makes a TFO sights for the GP100, that might be nice. There was a nice one listed in the Market area of this sight. The Taurus 66 would also be a nice alternative for a budget-minded person that might want to get both a home defense revolver and a carry revolver.

A compromise and my final recommendation would be a Ruger SP101, stainless, with a 3" barrel andHogue rubber grips and Meprolite Night Sights, a quality holster, a tactical flashlight, and a cleaning kit for it.

Hey guys thanks for the responses. Taking a course sounds like a great idea. Now I have even more questions.

I forgot to mention in my original post that I am trading my colt .45 combat commander (it was given to me when I lived in Philadelphia awhile back and is currently registered in my father’s name) for a Walther p22 and some cash. I personally don’t like the longer barrel on the p22 so I am considering getting the conversion kit. Do you think the walther is a good CCW? And then I can get a revolver for HD. There are so many nice revolvers out there it's really hard to choose just 1.

Looking forward to more responses.

Thanks,

Ron

May be worth some research on the pros/cons of revolvers v semi-autos if you home defense and carry are priorities. There will be people who recommend either/or with passion, however depending on the types of scenarios you are envisaging you may find one or other is preferable.

I've seen people struggle with revolvers on Simunitions classes due to lack of capacity and time to reload, then again I've also seen people struggle with semi-autos due to 'complexity'. I can't help much more than that as I am not a revolver person.

On the NRA Basic Pistol course I went to they covered the pros/cons of each and we shot both which was a useful introduction. There are also a few ranges where you can go and rent both as well. GunForHire also do Simunitions training with both revolvers and semi-autos which can be interesting!

I'm sure the pro-revolver forum members will be posting soon enough with guidance.

Welcome to NJGunForum, safe shooting!

TheWombat

If I could only have 1 handgun for HD/SD it would be a revolver..

I forgot to mention in my original post that I am trading my colt .45 combat commander (it was given to me when I lived in Philadelphia awhile back and is currently registered in my father’s name) for a Walther p22 and some cash.

Personally, I think you're trading away one of the best personal defense / home defense / carry guns out there. Why would you do that when you are already somewhat familiar with it? Ballistically it is a great round and that's a fine gun (assuming it is a Colt). Take some of the money you were going to sweeten the deal with and modify the Colt. It not only will be a great HD/SD weapon, but also a great range gun. This is like saying, hey guys, I'm going to trade my Rolex on a Timex - which one should I get?

Oh, BTW, I am one of those aforementioned "revolver guys" and I carry a 1911.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I have to agree.............I carry a Combat Commander and it is IMO one of the best fighting guns out there.....why would you trade that....? I will also say, over the years a S&W Model 36 saved my arse twice......so there it is. I love both revolvers and autos.....each has it's place but down the road your gonna be sorry for trading away that pistol no matter how you feel about it now.

You'll be wanting it back......

I'd suggest some research on the P22 as there are a fair few mixed reviews, this may be just due to the ammunition being used but worth being aware of.

I'm also not sure on the reason you're getting the P22, if it is for home defense, self defense then you're much better of getting a 9mm if you are concerned on the costs of the .45 ammunition.

As an example you can get new 9mm Glock 17 or Glock 19, Walther PPQ, Sig P2022 for under $500 to name a few examples. These are all semi-autos as I'm not a revolver person. You can find good condition used 9mms for less. There are plenty of other options as well you can see from other threads.

HTH

TheWombat

Don’t get me wrong I do like the .45 but for me it’s too big to carry. The trade is for the Walther (like brand new) and he is giving me $400 cash. My plan was to use the walther as a carry and practice gun. And then put the 400 towards a quality revolver for home defense. However I’m not sure if the walther .22 is a sufficient enough gun to carry.

But your right I am most likely going to regret getting rid of the 45.

Ron

IMHO I dont think that a .22 is what you are looking for regarding HD/Carry. At least .380 but for cost factor of ammo why not 9mm. In some cases cheaper than .380 and you get a more common round. Some small options include a Glock 26, SA XD series, and M&P 9mm compact. You are going to regret selling or trading things. I have, everyone has.

So I stopped by a local gun shop and took a look at a few of the recommend guns. The 3 I liked best were the Ruger .357 SP101 with 2", S&W .357 model 60 3" and the S&W .357 686 2". They all felt great in the hand. SP101 would be great for carrying. Too many to choose from my head hurts. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks

Ron

So after much research and reading postings on the fourms I think I have a plan for my 3 permits.

For the range - (cheaper to shoot) - Keep the Walther P22 or sell/trade it for a 9mm

For Carry - Ruger LCR .38 or the .357

For HD/Range/Bad a** gun - S&W 686 or Ruger GP101 or Ruger SP101

What do you think?

Hello all,

I am new to the fourm and to gun ownership. I have shot only a colt 45 and a few shotguns.

I am looking to purchase a gun for HD and maybe to carry when I travel out of state. I Would bring it to the range maybe every couple of months. I love the look of the revolvers so i am thinking about going that route. The 3 that are most apealing to my eyes and seem like they will hold there value.

The Ruger 1752 GP100 Wiley Clapp

The s&w 357 mod 60 pro series

The Taurus 651 Protector Stainless 5 Round 357

Any advice is most welcomed.

Thanks

Ron

South jersey

Hello and welcome to the Forums!

:hi:

When I was shopping for HD/SD weapons I wanted more than 5 or 6 rounds before reloading. With my luck they'd be coming in the door 4 at a time so I opted for a weapon with more than 10 round magazines.

Keep the .45 and get the Ruger LCR .357. The.357 is a bit heavier than the .38 and built a little tougher. You can still shoot .38s instead of .357s, and the recoil is a little less than in the .38 model.

If you want a nice, inexpensive 9mm for carry, take a look at the LC9.

As an example you can get new 9mm Glock 17 or Glock 19, Walther PPQ, Sig P2022 for under $500 to name a few examples. These are all semi-autos as I'm not a revolver person. You can find good condition used 9mms for less. There are plenty of other options as well you can see from other threads.

HTH

TheWombat

First off, hi all I'm new to the forums as well. My friend has posted here for a while and suggested I join up.

Second, it's funny you mentioned the Glocks. I've only got 2 guns and my second purchase was the Glock 19 (3rd Gen). I love the thing. My girlfriend's coworker's boyfriend (say that five times fast) does some competitive shooting in Maryland and suggested a Glock. He said a good amount of people bring Glocks at competitions and recommended it. I won't act like I know a lot about guns but I was impressed before my purchase when I saw people asking "what is Glock's warranty" and people responded "there is none. Glock just believes in good customer service (when needed)." I've heard the Glocks are really reliable and durable compared to others.

So I guess if you want to know what I did, i got a Glock. Sadly I was pretty busy all last year and only hit the range once, but I plan on putting a hell of a lot more rounds through my Glock 19 this year.

I have been a revolver guy for 41 years. I love the simplicity of them, the fact that I do not have to spend a fortune to buy 100 rounds of self defense ammo to test for reliability and that I can put one away loaded and ten years later grab it and know that it will still shoot. I have the Wiley Clapp GP100 and love it. It is my idea of what a fighting revolver should be. I also have a fondness for 1911 guns also as I consider them the best fighting semi autos. I actually have combat experience with the 1911 so it gives me confidence in its ability.

I bought a S&W 686 Plus and quite frankly was disappointed in its finish. It was a brushed stainless steel that showed all the brush marks and looked kind of dirty. In fact I asked the gun store owner if it was a used gun. I sold the 686 as there was just nothing in particular I liked about it. Not a bad gun but just not my cup of tea and I like S&W guns. Just not their N frames or current production SS finishes.

I own a few 9mm and .380 guns for convenience and comfort for concealed carry. However my two main carry guns are a .357 Airlite J-Frame and Colt Defender 3" .45 acp. I prepare for the possible that is likely and not the unlikely just because it is possible. I have read two stories about people being killed by elephants that escaped from travelling circuses and yet I have not bought an elephant gun. :)

If I was limited to one gun it would be my Wiley Clapp Ruger GP100. I like it for home defense, carry it once in awhile when I feel like taking it out for some fresh air, and enjoy it as a range gun. It is the gun I train new shooters with as it has very mild recoil with .38 specials. Sometimes I will slip in a .357 when training a new shooter and as of yet, no one has noticed. That says something about the gun and recoil being subjective within reason.