Sign in to follow this  
when_shtf

New .22 for my 12 year old son

My youngest has been shooting my old H&R .22 Pioneer and has become quite a good shot. He has also proven to me that he can handle and be trusted with a firearm. Last week he asked me if he could have his own rifle. So this morning I surprised him and brought him to Dicks in Easton so he could pick out his own rifle.

He held and considered every .22 semi-auto in the store, Remington 597, Ruger 10/22, Marlin 795, S&W M&P15-22 and maybe some others that I can't even remember. He really took his time and gave each rifle consideration. I thought for sure that he'd choose the M&P 15-22, but it was the first he ruled out. In the end he went back and forth on the 10/22 and 795. To my surprise (and relief) he chose the Marlin 795, a great rifle at $139.

We put 100 rounds through it this afternoon. What a great rifle. We were shooting at 50 yards and both of us were scoring 8 & 9 rings with our first load. 10's & 9's followed shortly. I think he had shot about 50-60 rounds and then I suggested that he rapid fire it. He was off target on all but the first shot, but he really couldn't care less. He loves his 795.

He wasn't happy that he had to clean his own weapon, but after all this time I'm not either :).

• Like 1

How old was he when he first tried shooting ?

He's one of those kids that's always been into guns. He loved Nurf guns since an early age. He got a Crossman 760 for Christmas when he was 10, two years ago. This Christmas he got a few AirSoft guns because that's what his friends use.

The Crossman was the first introduction to gun safety. I taught him proper handling from day one. He's never treated it or thought of it as a toy. I got the same BB gun when I was ten and was taught the same way.

The other thing that helps is we live on some rather large property, so he is free to go out and shoot his BB gun at our range whenever he wants (except when "untrained" people are at our home). I've already gave him the OK to fire at will with his Marlin.

That's great! I'll be putting my daughter in the next kid's class ( GFH ) My next child down is a 3 1/2 year old boy , then an 8 month old boy. So it will be a while for them yet :)

Our H.S here use to have a rifle team..I don;t know if they do anymore.

Glad to hear your son is enjoying the sport and his new rifle!

Our H.S here use to have a rifle team..I don;t know if they do anymore.

In Bergen Cty? Most likely not a snowballs chance... My kid posted a pic on his facebook of him holding a properly cleared shotgun that is owned by a friend of mine. He had to go for a psych. eval. to prove that he is not a danger to himself or others. He is 11 and was properly supervised by an adult while holding it. I took the pic, so obviously nothing covert was happening. So, the chances of a rifle team seem kinda small.

That being said, he just completed the NRA class at Tenafly and will continue shooting there on wednesday evenings.

C

In Bergen Cty? Most likely not a snowballs chance... My kid posted a pic on his facebook of him holding a properly cleared shotgun that is owned by a friend of mine. He had to go for a psych. eval. to prove that he is not a danger to himself or others. He is 11 and was properly supervised by an adult while holding it. I took the pic, so obviously nothing covert was happening. So, the chances of a rifle team seem kinda small.

That being said, he just completed the NRA class at Tenafly and will continue shooting there on wednesday evenings.

C

OMG are you kidding me?!?!?! Wow.

Kearny High School ( Hudson Co.) definitely had a rifle team ( I went there my Senior year ) I *believe* North Arlington did too . Can't find anything current on it though which makes me think it exists no more.

North Arlington is an ignored Bergen County town , we may as well be Hudson :)

I went to Kearny High and was on the rifle team for one season. It was definitely a lot of fun! Shooting those tiny targets at 50' was definitely a challenge! One of our instructors even brought in his Colt 1911 and muzzle loader to let us shoot!

Last I heard the rifle team got cut a long time ago :(

Yes , it was :)

Do any high schools have rifle teams these days ?

If they did, they would have no one to shoot against. I graduated when you did IPW and we didn't have a rifle team AND we were in rural western Morris County.

In the 90's I had a boiler replacement at Morris Hills HS and they still had a rifle range in the basement though it was no longer in use (they also had a crap load of ACM insulation too).

My youngest has been shooting my old H&R .22 Pioneer and has become quite a good shot. He has also proven to me that he can handle and be trusted with a firearm. Last week he asked me if he could have his own rifle. So this morning I surprised him and brought him to Dicks in Easton so he could pick out his own rifle.

He held and considered every .22 semi-auto in the store, Remington 597, Ruger 10/22, Marlin 795, S&W M&P15-22 and maybe some others that I can't even remember. He really took his time and gave each rifle consideration. I thought for sure that he'd choose the M&P 15-22, but it was the first he ruled out. In the end he went back and forth on the 10/22 and 795. To my surprise (and relief) he chose the Marlin 795, a great rifle at $139.

We put 100 rounds through it this afternoon. What a great rifle. We were shooting at 50 yards and both of us were scoring 8 & 9 rings with our first load. 10's & 9's followed shortly. I think he had shot about 50-60 rounds and then I suggested that he rapid fire it. He was off target on all but the first shot, but he really couldn't care less. He loves his 795.

He wasn't happy that he had to clean his own weapon, but after all this time I'm not either :).

That Marlin will last a lifetime and is a great choice! I started my son with a Little Buckaroo Marlin bolt action single-shot boy's rifle when he was four. Made him a NRA Life Member at age five! I'm hoping to be around long enough to teach my grandchildren how to use it!

Treasure the time you spend shooting together. Those are my fondest memories (other than his birth & college graduation). Sounds like you're doing a great job! Congrats to you both!

I heard that a while back . Does not surprise me . They had issues there even back in late 80s. It is a common school for kids from rougher neighborhoods who try to fake an address to get out of worse places. We had gang issues there for sure. I don't know how it is now, the school . Kearny always had its charm along with its issues.

I'll be at the Irish American tomorrow at some point though :)

I heard that a while back . Does not surprise me . They had issues there even back in late 80s. It is a common school for kids from rougher neighborhoods who try to fake an address to get out of worse places. We had gang issues there for sure. I don't know how it is now, the school . Kearny always had its charm along with its issues.

I'll be at the Irish American tomorrow at some point though :)

Sorry for the hijack.

Gangs. HAHAHA. Remember the "La Familia" gang........HAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh God yes lol . Nice Satin jackets. The year I was there we had some Newark related gang activity at the school. Someone took a Chinese Star in the leg . That was the sum of it. Then there was a big gang fight at Black Bridge on year.

Kearny is an odd town , not the hood but still a tough place to grow up. I went to Queen Of Peace until Senior year and was one of the few Kearny kids there . The other kids were afraid of us lol