NJdiverTony

Completed my new build! :)

So, I finally got the last of the big parts for my build today and finished up my new AR! Only thing I'm waiting for is my flip up sights and the foregrip, which I should have by sometime tomorrow. So here she is... M4 Carbine with Spikes Tactical lower with Spikes lower parts kit and trigger, 16" CMV 1x9 Barrel, YHM Phantom muzzle break, BCM Gunfighter charging handle, Black Dawn upper receiver, Chrome MilSpec BCG, UTG Quad Handguard, low profile rail gas block, Primary Arms multi-reticle red dot scoope, PMAG 15/20 Mags and etc... I just picked up a few hundred rounds of ammo yesterday, so I'm ready to rock! I can't wait to get to the range and play with it. Sorry for the poor cell phone pics, but I'll put some better ones up soon...

AR15-1.jpg

AR15-2.jpg

Looking good Tony. Man you got that PA scope pretty quick.

Yeah, got it very quickly! I ordered it late last Thursday and had it on Saturday morning, via Priorty USPS. And the scope istelf seems really nice for the price... I intend to upgrade it in the future, but will work well for now.

nice.. I'm slowly picking up parts for mine.. little by little

Cool! It's a great feeling when you can put it all together! I at first told myself I was going to pick up the parts slowly and build it little by little... But I'm such an impatient SOB and just went all out and ordered everything. LOL.

Congrats on finishing your AR. I'm hoping to finish mine too, as soon as I order the upper from PSA. I haven't been able to get a hold of them to find out if they ship via UPS/FedEx or USPS.

PSA is a great company. With that trying to get a hold of them to find out if things are being shipped is a PITA. I ordered my stipped lower from them when they were $49.95!

Black rifle disease!

Oh duhhh... yeah, I've got a really bad case of BRD! LOL! I need more coffee, my brain is working very slowly this morning... I knew what BRD was, but my foggy brain this morning couldn't recollect what it stood for. I haven't even taken my new rilfe to the range yet and I'm already thinking about what I want to do for my next build! (probably a long range shooter with a 20" barrel) LOL!

Nice stick..

Suggest (by my prior use of the same UTG handguard).. get some MagPul XTM covers for the bottom and sides.. you'll loose the girth, avoid heat, & be happy..

Make sure you get the stock pinned and Comp/Brake pinned/welded if its not..

Suggest (by my prior use of the same UTG handguard).. get some MagPul XTM covers for the bottom and sides.. you'll loose the girth, avoid heat, & be happy..

Thanks, I'll look into the XTM covers... I wasn't too crazy about the girth of these UTG rail covers anyway.

Took my newly built AR out to the range this past weekend... The rifle worked flawlessly. Spent some time dialing in my BUIS and red dot... My clubs rifle range is a 100 yrd tube/tunnel that you shoot through, so it wasn't easy to be precise with the BUIS and Red Dot to hit the target. My target was a 12" rifle "splatter" target. At 100 yrds my red dot was almost the same size as the 12" target so it was tough to be precise... but once dialed in 90% of my shots were in the target and the other 10% were just outside the perimeter of the target. My eyes just aren't what they used to be for shooting 100+ yrds, so I'm thinking about maybe also purchasing at least a 3x scope to shoot at longer distances, as I want to be able to do some more precise shooting at those distances. I'd like to make those 10" or 12" groups shrink down to 1" or 2" groups if possible.

Is this acceptable accuracy with a red dot @ 100 yrds? (Some of the extreme flyers were from when I was sighting in the sights)

20120305_220149.jpg

I'm thinking your Red Dot mount loosened up..

Were you shooting off a bench (with support) or standing, kneeling, or other??

At 100 yards your RDS should only cover 3 inches.. hence the 3MOA association on it..

Check the thumbscrew... make sure its forward in the SLOT its in..

Try shooting off a BAG (like a Caldwell green bag)... and adjust your Red Dot on that..

Heres 50 yards off the front Caldwell bag off a bench with just IRONS..

50yards.jpg

The last volley inside the 8" yellow square was shot standing @ 100 yards.. and I was just blasting away..

The other shots (circled) were from the prior volley..

The target OVERALL size is 14"x22" (kinda torso sized..lol)

14x22marked.JPG

100 yards with 3MOA Red Dot off a the same Caldwell bag.

100ydRedDot.jpg

Also - shouldn't really be sighting in for 100 yards. Do you want a 50/200 yard sight-in, or a 25/300 yard? Point of aim/point of impact is the same at 50/200 yards, or 25/300 yards.

Don't have a choice at SCFGPA... The rilfe range is only 100 yrds. I don't have access to another range at the moment.

I'm thinking your Red Dot mount loosened up..

Were you shooting off a bench (with support) or standing, kneeling, or other??

At 100 yards your RDS should only cover 3 inches.. hence the 3MOA association on it..

Check the thumbscrew... make sure its forward in the SLOT its in..

Try shooting off a BAG (like a Caldwell green bag)... and adjust your Red Dot on that..

Heres 50 yards off the front Caldwell bag off a bench with just IRONS..

The last volley inside the 8" yellow square was shot standing @ 100 yards.. and I was just blasting away..

The other shots (circled) were from the prior volley..

The target OVERALL size is 14"x22" (kinda torso sized..lol)

100 yards with 3MOA Red Dot off a the same Caldwell bag.

I checked and the red dot was nice and tight. I was shooting off a bench and had a bipod on my rifle. Again, I was shooting through a 3 ft wide dark tunnel that is 100 yrds long... Only the shooting position and the target all the way on the other side is lit up. So maybe that had something to do with the red dot covering up the target (maybe the dot was too bright through the dark tunnel?)? It's a 2 MOA red dot sight, but through that tunnel, the 12" target looked just a hair larger than the red dot itself. Maybe it would have been better if I was shooting outdoors?