I've been shooting these lately

In 357Mag:

Magtech 158gr SJSP 14.5gr 2400

Magtech 158gr SJSP 15gr H110

38SP:

158gr Lead RNFP or 158gr Lead SWC 4.2 gr Universal

158gr Berry Plated 4.4gr. Universal

158gr lead with 3.9gr 231

I like Universal better for 38SP, but 231 is also good.

I see that W231 has a number of load listing for 357 on Hodgdon's website... but... is it really a suitable magnum powder? Im sure it will make for some nice light loads, but i'm doubtful it will give you the maximum potential that something like 2400 or H110 will. I loaded up a bunch of 44 mag's with unique once and went all the way up to the max load. The recoil was pretty mediocre compared to a hot load with 2400 (my favorite magnum powder--very versatile). The fast burning pistol powders just can't produce the same level of power that the slower magnum powders can.

38 spl >3.6 gr 231 under 148 gr wad cutter, great paper target load my daughter shoots this load also..

38 spl> 4.3 gr 231 under 158 gr wad cutter another good target load..

357 mag 8.8 gr 231 under 110 gr jhp 1575 fps.. you can use FMJ in place of the JHP's

357 mag 8.1gr 231 under 125 gr jhp 1460

I also like using AA#2 for 38 spl My favorite is,

38SPL> 3.5 gr #2 under 148 gr wadcutter either lead or berry's.. very mild target load..

You cannot go below 3.5 gr with the berry's or they tumble..

003-11.jpg

Awesome. Thanks guys. I'm not stuck on fmj bullets. Ill look into some lead as well. Looks like Precision Delta has only lead. 38's. Ill look into some Berry's as well.

For the 357 mag's only use jacketed bullets, cuts down on lead fouling.. i really like the berry's WC you get less lead fouling plus you are not handling the lead..

Hey Don,

I've been loading Zero 125gr JHP with W296 and a small pistol magnum primer. They shoot well.

http://www.rozedist.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=RZD&Product_Code=R102-A&Category_Code=ZBJ-38S

They've gone up quite a bit since I first started buying them here, but they're quality bullets and at the velocities of these (1400fps+ out of my 6" Python), I would definitely stick with jacketed bullets.

If you want a full power load then use Win 296/H110. Just remember it likes to be loaded to just about max for the best results. Win 231 will give you a good load and you can feel a difference between starting and max loads with it. I use it with both jacketed and lead bullets. If you want a light target load then look at Trail Boss.