toothaik

how to "pin" a 26 round magazine to make it legal

I recently bought a 22 conversion kit for my AR-15 style rifle. It came with a 26 round capacity magazine, which of course is not legal in NJ. So, is there a way to "pin it," so to speak, so that it will only hold the legal 15 rounds? I'm thinking something the pluy in a plug in a shotgun so that you can only load 3 shells instead of a full tube of 5.

Are there any after market gadgets out there that do this?

Thanks.

posting on the internet about being in possession of a high cap magazine without disclaiming that the magazine is not in NJ is really not a good ideal... as it is technically a pretty substantial violation of NJ law.. a violation that could cost you years of your life in jail.. and loss of all your freedom..

you can not pin that mag in NJ because you can not even HAVE that mag in NJ to begin with..

• Like 1

posting on the internet about being in possession of a high cap magazine without disclaiming that the magazine is not in NJ is really not a good ideal... as it is technically a pretty substantial violation of NJ law.. a violation that could cost you years of your life in jail.. and loss of all your freedom..

you can not pin that mag in NJ because you can not even HAVE that mag in NJ to begin with..

Technically, the poster never stated that he is in possession of this magazine so maybe you shouldn't jump all over him. I'm sure it's sitting at their FFL, or maybe they have an FFL, who knows.

Technically, the poster never stated that he is in possession of this magazine so maybe you shouldn't jump all over him. I'm sure it's sitting at their FFL, or maybe they have an FFL, who knows.

why would you transfer a conversion (not a firearm) to an FFL

why would he be asking if an FFL had the mag.. the FFL would be doing the work..

if you read what I wrote.. I told him it was a bad idea to post about this without disclaiming the mag is NOT in NJ.. I acted under the assumption that the mag is not in NJ.. I was simply telling him he might want to make that known so his situation is not viewed in a negative light..

why would you transfer a conversion (not a firearm) to an FFL

why would he be asking if an FFL had the mag.. the FFL would be doing the work..

I understand what you're saying, but he could have have the mag or the conversion and mag sent to an FFL if he knew the mag was going to be included. And not all FFL's do any sort of neutering, so he could be pinning it instead of the FFL doing the work.

I've seen vendors put a spacer in the mag to prevent the follower from moving down past the 15 round mark, then follow up with a few blind pins in the bottom of the mag plate. You can no longer disassemble the mag for cleaning, which is annoying, but there are ways to do it.

I've also seen industrial rivets popped in the side to block the follower as well.

Actually, the magazine and the conversion kit are in PA, The magazine came with the kit, which is why I had it sent to PA in the first place. The whole thing is still in PA and that's where it'll stay until I can make it legal here.

Thanks for the input re: rivets and spacers, etc.

Sigh... hate to bring this up again, but can't he just block it in PA with some wood and bring it here? I thought the "permanently modified" thing only had to do with dealers?

I used to think that way until that last thread..

that last thread seemed to indicate that should NJ get a bug up its a**.. and find a magazine that they feel is not permanently modded.. they may at their discretion prosecute...

someone (I think Dan) dug up a statement that said something along the lines of permanent is the ONLY way it is legal..since the LAW is somewhat vague I would think you would get out of it..but the trouble doesn't seem worth it... normally I would just say follow the law to the letter.. but with a statement of their intent.. I would personally err on the side of caution and use something "more permanent"

Sigh... hate to bring this up again, but can't he just block it in PA with some wood and bring it here? I thought the "permanently modified" thing only had to do with dealers?

Technically yes, as the statutes do not indicate permanent versus temporary. The gray area is that the NJAC , the guidebook for prosecutors and LE... says that they "believe" that a temporarily blocked mag is still considered a "large capacity magazine" and that people are open to being prosecuted for them. Whether or not it sticks in court is another thing as they cannot use NJAC guidelines as evidence against you, only what is in the statutes.

The bottom line is that there is some risk acceptance involved,as even if you are 99% sure they will not get the conviction, for some people the arrest and just getting dragged through the "system" is not something they may want to risk.

I haven't heard nor could find any case-law around temp blocked mags, and most likely people that do get nailed for them are most likely in some other kind of nasty trouble, and the large cap charges are just chips on the board to be played going for a plea bargain. That or they get plea'd out to some lesser non felon charge, charges are dropped, or they are plea'd out to lesser non-felon type stuff like a misdemeanor.

Technically yes, as the statutes do not indicate permanent versus temporary. The gray area is that the NJAC , the guidebook for prosecutors and LE... says that they "believe" that a temporarily blocked mag is still considered a "large capacity magazine" and that people are open to being prosecuted for them. Whether or not it sticks in court is another thing as they cannot use NJAC guidelines as evidence against you, only what is in the statutes.

The bottom line is that there is some risk acceptance involved,as even if you are 99% sure they will not get the conviction, for some people the arrest and just getting dragged through the "system" is not something they may want to risk.

I haven't heard nor could find any case-law around temp blocked mags, and most likely people that do get nailed for them are most likely in some other kind of nasty trouble, and the large cap charges are just chips on the board to be played going for a plea bargain. That or they get plea'd out to some lesser non felon charge, charges are dropped, or they are plea'd out to lesser non-felon type stuff like a misdemeanor.

I think they would rest on the whole "capability" to accept more than 15 rounds (if they wanted to push a case)

they would state that the block of wood could be easily removed and thus the magazine still possesses the capability..

this directly counters what I have thought for years... and the lack of court cases indicate that prosecution is probably pretty unlikely.. but that does not remove potential prosecution..

also keep in mind.. whatever mag you have would likely be on display in the court room... they would likely illustrate just how easily you could remove whatever block you have in place.. you are not going to necessarily be judged by logical firearms enthusiasts.. you may be judged by individuals who view your efforts as a means to circumvent the law as opposed to complying with it..

I do not like to "fear monger" but this is all something that needs consideration..

also keep in mind.. whatever mag you have would likely be on display in the court room... they would likely illustrate just how easily you could remove whatever block you have in place.. you are not going to necessarily be judged by logical firearms enthusiasts.. you may be judged by individuals who view your efforts as a means to circumvent the law as opposed to complying with it..

This is a good point. The system is flawed.

Many times, it's a matter of the judge's, or jury's personal opinions.

Or how well a lawyer can paint you in a certain light.

I'd think a block, plus two rivets is pretty safe.

But even that isn't full-proof.

This is a good point. The system is flawed.

Many times, it's a matter of the judge's, or jury's personal opinions.

Or how well a lawyer can paint you in a certain light.

I'd think a block, plus two rivets is pretty safe.

But even that isn't full-proof.

I would say if you cut the tabs..

put in a block..

and rivet..

you have MORE than complied with the law.. in the sense that removal of the tabs "permanently" modify the magazine in a way even someone totally ignorant to the workings of a firearm would understand..

I recently bought a 22 conversion kit for my AR-15 style rifle. It came with a 26 round capacity magazine, which of course is not legal in NJ. So, is there a way to "pin it," so to speak, so that it will only hold the legal 15 rounds? I'm thinking something the pluy in a plug in a shotgun so that you can only load 3 shells instead of a full tube of 5.

Are there any after market gadgets out there that do this?

Thanks.

If it is a black dog magazine, call them, they will likely exchange it for the capacity you want if it is effectively NIB. At leas I know folks who have gotten their 10 rounders swapped for 15 rounders in the past.

If it is a black dog magazine, call them, they will likely exchange it for the capacity you want if it is effectively NIB. At leas I know folks who have gotten their 10 rounders swapped for 15 rounders in the past.

CMMG will probably do the same, they're pretty good to deal with. BD 15 rounders work well, if you shop around you can find them pretty cheap.

There ya go! It's a CMMG conversion kit and the Black Dog Magazine is compatible according to the MidwayUSA.com site. It just happens to be a 15 round mag. CMMG has a 10 round magazine. So, I'm gonna decide whether to trade in the ones that came with the kit, or splurge for the Black Dog mags and just give the larger capacity magazines to my brother in PA.

Hi, vladtepes, as I mentioned above it is a CMMG mag, but not of the "Evolution" Series. http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/category/22LR-Magazines-151

Thank you all for your input.

I would say if you cut the tabs..

put in a block..

and rivet..

you have MORE than complied with the law.. in the sense that removal of the tabs "permanently" modify the magazine in a way even someone totally ignorant to the workings of a firearm would understand..

Tabs? Please explain.

Tabs? Please explain.

depends on the magazine..

but NJ has claimed that they reserve the right to prosecute any high capacity magazines that are not permanently modified..

they will likely take the stand that if the mag has not been permanently modified then it is still "capable of holding more than 15 rounds" a battle they may or may not win..

the idea is the floorplate of most magazines attaches with tabs.. the idea being that if you block the mag and rivet it, or epoxy it, or whatever else you do.. if you also remove the tabs that secure the plate.. you really can't "go back" to a high cap mag because the factory floorplate is no longer functional..

this is all just conjecture... up until a recent discussion I actually thought simply pinning it was just fine..

now.. not so sure..

honestly if I still lived in NJ.. I would probably buy after market 15 round ban compliant mags, or magazines modified by a NJ dealer.. just to make it not my problem..

honestly if I still lived in NJ.. I would probably buy after market 15 round ban compliant mags, or magazines modified by a NJ dealer.. just to make it not my problem..

Y'know given what I've already spent on guns of all kinds, I think NOT still living in NJ is the best solution to the problem! In the meantime, I'll just splurge for some after market legal mags.

Y'know given what I've already spent on guns of all kinds, I think NOT still living in NJ is the best solution to the problem! In the meantime, I'll just splurge for some after market legal mags.

that was really what I did while in NJ anyway..

pretty much all my mags were 15 rounds from the factory not modified..

I had a couple mags that were modded down but they were done by a dealer..