Malsua

Is this firearm safe or unsafe?

47 members have voted

1. 1. Is the pictured firearm safe or unsafe

• Yes it is safe.
    • No, it is not safe.

while I understand that.. rules are not always made to cover normal circumstances.. they are in many instances "catch all" procedures used to (in this case) address all types of users.. firearms.. etc..

Very true, but the RO should enforce the rules without an attitude.

Scig

Eh, I find you kinda have to pick your battles in life (marriage will really teach you that, haha).

Yeah, it's safe. I agree it should be sufficient. But to me if I get called out on something I just

comply and just brush it off. Whatever, their range, their rules, they won't change no matter

how much I disagree. I can see why you may be annoyed, but don't let it get to you too much.

I'm actually fortunate that my local range allows me to do WAY more than I've seen other ranges allow.

I'm going to say it's safe only from being at the range with Mark and I trust that he'll clear his gun at a cease fire. Although Mark may be safe, I have seen some clowns at the range.

Here's where it's not safe:

A noob is on the firing line and doesn't realize his last shot was a light primer strike. He thinks he's out of rounds. A cease fire is called. He drops the mag, locks the slide back, but the extractor is bad and doesn't extract the live round. He now has a round in the chamber. He comes back from a target change, hits the slide release without knowing a round is in the chamber, the gun goes into battery. His friend wants to check out the gun and he hands it over. He may think it's safe with no mag in it.

What if his gun has no magazine disconnect and will fire? Anything can happen at this point. Many safety rules need to be broken for this to really occur and is highly improbable, but not impossible. I've already seen a guy loading his gun while people were walking back from a cease fire. The same guy started to walk out for a target change when the range was hot.

I guess the rules are made to cover all users, noobs to experienced. They try to make the range accident proof, or should I say idiot proof. That being said, the RO probably could have had a better tone about it from knowing Mark at the range.

I'm going to say it's safe only from being at the range with Mark and I trust that he'll clear his gun at a cease fire. Although Mark may be safe, I have seen some clowns at the range.

A noob is on the firing line and doesn't realize his last shot was a light primer strike. He thinks he's out of rounds. A cease fire is called. He drops the mag, locks the slide back, but the extractor is bad and doesn't extract the live round. He now has a round in the chamber. He comes back from a target change, hits the slide release without knowing a round is in the chamber, the gun goes into battery. His friend wants to check out the gun and he hands it over. He may think it's safe with no mag in it.

What if his gun has no magazine disconnect and will fire? Anything can happen at this point. Many safety rules need to be broken for this to really occur and is highly improbable, but not impossible. I've already seen a guy loading his gun while people were walking back from a cease fire. The same guy started to walk out for a target change when the range was hot.

I guess the rules are made to cover all users, noobs to experienced. They try to make the range accident proof, or should I say idiot proof. That being said, the RO probably could have had a better tone about it from knowing Mark at the range.

And people like that should be given a permanent ban from the property. I believe the people for whom these rules were created, should not be given second and third chances. If you cannot be trusted with a firearm, you should not be shooting. I don't believe a range is for baby sitting people.

Look at IDPA, USPSA and steel. How come these matches don't have you stick a flag in your chamber? How come you are perfectly fine walking around with an unloaded, holstered gun? Its because if you break a safety rule, you are going home. That will make you think about safety.

Because when you joined Cherry Ridge range they told you this is how they want it done. Simple enough.

When I joined CR, they didn't use chamber flags. I too have been told that I could not put my flags in that way, maybe a little more politely, but their argument about why it needs to go in the chamber is stupid. If the gun cannot fire, the flag is doing it's job.

In the 20 years I've been a member there, the only slackening of the rules I've seen is that you can load mags on the rifle range (yes, it was a one shot range in those days). The 147 year old fudds (as Dan puts it) used to yell at you if you shot more than three rounds an hour, telling you that you're going to ruin your barrel by heating it up to much, the sight of an AR would make them cringe. Yes, CR will have pits some day, probably in the year 2257 at the rate they are coming around to the latest trends in shooting.

A noob is on the firing line and doesn't realize his last shot was a light primer strike. He thinks he's out of rounds. A cease fire is called. He drops the mag, locks the slide back, but the extractor is bad and doesn't extract the live round. He now has a round in the chamber. (Violated rule #1, assumed weapon was unloaded. Failed to properly perform safety check) He comes back from a target change, hits the slide release without knowing a round is in the chamber, the gun goes into battery. (Violated rule #1, assumed weapon was unloaded. Failed to properly perform safety check) His friend wants to check out the gun and he hands it over. (Failed to perform safety check before transferring weapon, friend failed to perform safety check upon receiving weapon) He may think it's safe with no mag in it.

Could it happen? Yes. Should he and his friend be handling firearms at all, regardless of whether or not they can use a range flag "correctly?" No.