Malsua

Is this firearm safe or unsafe?

47 members have voted

1. 1. Is the pictured firearm safe or unsafe

• Yes it is safe.
    • No, it is not safe.

And yet people (caine) still give this place money! This range is an exact copy of what an anti gunner wants a range to be. Somebody constantly watching you, ridiculous rules, no run-n-gun, paper only targets, no 50 cals, old FUDDS, and a-holes all day.

Pass

The problem here is that the condition is safe; to you.

So, I guess you'd have to have a hang fire that didn't eject when the action was cycled and the operator decided everything was hunky dory and put it on the table with a flag in it because there's no way you can hit the primer with the firing pin with the flag through the action.

It depends on what the definition of "safe" is in this scenario. If the definition of safe is using the flag the way it was designed to be used then that is not considered safe. However, if safe in this situation is showing that there is no magazine and preventing the slide from going to full battery thus preventing a negligent discharge, then it is safe. semantics. :p

And yet people (caine) still give this place money! This range is an exact copy of what an anti gunner wants a range to be. Somebody constantly watching you, ridiculous rules, no run-n-gun, paper only targets, no 50 cals, old FUDDS, and a-holes all day.

Pass

Ray - And I give them money too. It's the best range around for the price with the most activities and a decent facility. I don't need some Ahole doing a mag dump just for kicks.

Not having run-n-gun is another issue. Ray you own a 50 cal?

And what's the issue about somebody watching you?

You know I've offered you an open invite to come up. Ya just have to play nice and express your skills within the confines of the rules. Which really aren't bad based on the amount of people that come through there without incident.

• Like 1

Ray - And I give them money too. It's the best range around for the price with the most activities and a decent facility. I don't need some Ahole doing a mag dump just for kicks.

Not having run-n-gun is another issue. Ray you own a 50 cal?

And what's the issue about somebody watching you?

You know I've offered you an open invite to come up. Ya just have to play nice and express your skills within the confines of the rules. Which really aren't bad based on the amount of people that come through there without incident.

So no mag dumps too? Wow, they really suck. I don't need someone to watch over me. I have enough of that living in this state. I go to a range to, dare I say it, hone my skills with defensive firearms and let loose some aggression. I'll still go there to use their shotgun range as it's a great one for skeet, but that's all.

PASS

So no mag dumps too? Wow, they really suck. I don't need someone to watch over me. I have enough of that living in this state. I go to a range to, dare I say it, hone my skills with defensive firearms and let loose some aggression. I'll still go there to use their shotgun range as it's a great one for skeet, but that's all.

PASS

Ray- I trust that you are safe but look at it as they are watching that nobody pops you.

Get it? Do push-ups, that releives agression.

So, I guess you'd have to have a hang fire that didn't eject when the action was cycled and the operator decided everything was hunky dory and put it on the table with a flag in it because there's no way you can hit the primer with the firing pin with the flag through the action.

You are correct in all of your assertions, but not from an RO's perspective. Despite your action open, there still could be a live round in the chamber. A chamber flag is to be inserted in the chamber. That's what the RO is looking for.

Ray- I trust that you are safe but look at it as they are watching that nobody pops you.

Get it? Do push-ups, that releives agression.

*relieves

Frank, I have a ton of respect for you so I'll leave it at that. And I'd be glad to go up there with you one day and let you chew my ear off as I show you how to run a 12 gauge pump.

*relieves

Frank, I have a ton of respect for you so I'll leave it at that. And I'd be glad to go up there with you one day and let you chew my ear off as I show you how to run a 12 gauge pump.

You shoot or fire a shotgun...Gangsta...

and yes "I" before "e" except after "c"

You are correct in all of your assertions, but not from an RO's perspective. Despite your action open, there still could be a live round in the chamber. A chamber flag is to be inserted in the chamber. That's what the RO is looking for.

If you put the chamber flag in from the opposite direction, he'll yell at you too even though no round can be in the chamber.

Here's another quiz.

Which is safer, A or B?

safea.jpg

safeb.jpg

Click here for the answer: http://thewellrats.com/malbor2/njgf/safec.jpg

Thats why I indulge in the weekday plan. have'nt had RO call cold line or try to spank me in 2 yrs . Just me and a couple of other guys at the most, some one wants a cease fire-fine. I know how its done and usually so do they, I'm not afraid to point an error out.Your gun is safe short of immaculate ignition.When I see the flags I need to believe the gun is clear and I think everybody else does too, how often do you see any other shooters come down the line and inspect each gun for safe? Gotta have a little faith in your fellow shooters but having said that i do keep a third eye out for hints of recklesness as I'm sure most of you do too.

For rimfires and hard to fit actions with small openings, I like a chamber flag similar to this one. It's a bit more flexible than that infamous NRA flag.

l_749000170_1.jpg

I have two of those bendy ones. It's not that I won't buy more, it's that they never have the damn things, or at least they didn't for the longest time and I gave up. I guess I should just put everything in the case, that way they're safe.

Let me guess, in pic B there's actually a round in the chamber and the flag actually obscures it?

If you click on the link below picture b, you will see the snap cap in the picture.

For rimfires and hard to fit actions with small openings, I like a chamber flag similar to this one. It's a bit more flexible than that infamous NRA flag.

l_749000170_1.jpg

I have a few I made out of wire zip-ties, have a few different color ones and you can use the thinner ones for 22LR guns, cheap and easy and achieve the same thing.

Yes, you can fool even an over-zealous RO. Simply deal with him with gracious humility. Be happy there's someone policing the place. Back in the 70's it was sometimes like the Wild West there.

I have to be honest.. I understand you are just "venting" and you have every right in the world to speak your mind...

but it is a business.. one that is privately owned.. and the individual employs whatever procedures and individuals he needs to.. to feel safe..

if I owned a business I would not want someone to come in and tell me what to do..

you just gotta get through it..

voice your opinion politely to the owner.. through email to avoid confrontation..

explain that you are taking your money elsewhere and spreading the word about your experience..

it will either correct the situation.. OR it will remind you of why you should stop going there..

no reason to get so bent about it.. take that same energy and actually DO something about it..

Being that it is privately owned I can understand for the number of rules in place, however that said just hearing some of the rules from you guys I would not want to be apart of that range. I have to agree with ray on this one, I don't see why you guys pay to be at this place, and some are even justifying what this place does to you.

As for the question from OP yes guns safe, and thanks for showing me the chamber flag since I never saw one in use till this day.

What is the difference between A & B? I cant see.

Honestly, I can not complain about CJ just having the slide locked open after seeing this. This is nuts.

I hope CR does pits like CJ does, at least that way, you are in the pit, it is yours, no one else around there.

Now CR is privately owned by BOD ? and correct me if I am wrong, members have no say in how the club is run, and only elect BOD?

To me... the way mark put a pic up the first one, seems the safest of all, and you are not sticking something down the barrel, yuck.

What is the difference between A & B? I cant see.

Picture B has a snap cap in the chamber.

This is nuts.

Exactly.

I hope CR does pits like CJ does, at least that way, you are in the pit, it is yours, no one else around there. Not going to happen

Now CR is privately owned by BOD ? and correct me if I am wrong, members have no say in how the club is run, and only elect BOD? Pretty much

To me... the way mark put a pic up the first one, seems the safest of all, and you are not sticking something down the barrel, yuck. The action can't close and there is no magazine. I would stand in front of a gun in this condition all day long, it's safe enough.

The problem is that the ROs don't know who can and who can't be trusted (until they learn who you are), so they have to watch everyone like a hawk. I can't remember the last time I was at the range where someone didn't take their gun off the bench and walk back to their bag, or stand at the bench loading mags during a cease-fire, etc. I was at the pistol range on Friday for about 4 hours and there were no more than 6 people there at once, and yet someone was breaking one of the rules and had to be called out no less than 3 times. I can't even imagine how bad it is on weekends when everyone comes out to play since I make every effort to not go on a weekend. I don't like some of the rules either, but considering CR is 15 minutes from my house and the next closest is 45, I can live with it.

I have a feeling I know which RO gave you an issue though, since I've had a run-in with one before who also spoke down to me, and that was over a guest using a separate port on a Friday afternoon on the rifle range with his own gun when there were only 10 people there. He actually asked me how many times my guest had shot before to determine if he was competent.

The problem is that the ROs don't know who can and who can't be trusted (until they learn who you are), so they have to watch everyone like a hawk. I can't remember the last time I was at the range where someone didn't take their gun off the bench and walk back to their bag, or stand at the bench loading mags during a cease-fire, etc. I was at the pistol range on Friday for about 4 hours and there were no more than 6 people there at once, and yet someone was breaking one of the rules and had to be called out no less than 3 times. I can't even imagine how bad it is on weekends when everyone comes out to play since I make every effort to not go on a weekend. I don't like some of the rules either, but considering CR is 15 minutes from my house and the next closest is 45, I can live with it.

I have a feeling I know which RO gave you an issue though, since I've had a run-in with one before who also spoke down to me, and that was over a guest using a separate port on a Friday afternoon on the rifle range with his own gun when there were only 10 people there. He actually asked me how many times my guest had shot before to determine if he was competent.

Thank you for being the voice of reason!!!

He knows me. He's known me for years. It wasn't even this particular incident, It's just the overall tone. Now when we go to the shotgun range they leave us alone and no one has been injured yet, even though we *gasp* uncase our shotguns at the rear and carry them around.