Bully

Recommend me a scope

So, I put some money down and ordered a Mossberg MVP. Gonna need some kind of optic for it. Anyone got any suggestions that won't break the bank. I'd like to stay below 200 dollars if possible.

Firearm shoots .223/.556 NATO. Looking to target shoot to 200 yards or so. Just need to be able to see things, don't need to be able to count a fly's multi-reticled eyeball at 700 yards, if you know what I mean. The firearm itself is a stretch for me, money wise, already. Please keep that in mind. Thanks.

C

Does it have iron sights? If so, practice and get good with the rifle first, and save for good optics. I am not a glass afficionado (i.e. no really pricey glass on my rifles). It is a good rule of thumb that you should spend somewhat close to the cost of the rifle on your scope. Go to SWFA.com and check out their Super Sniper scopes. Good quality for a.decent price.

I'm no expert, but Weaver has some good variable power up to 12X options in your price range. I have a Weaver Tactical and am very happy with it.

Don't expect scopes in this price range to perform like those 3X ore more higher in cost because they won't, but they are more then adequate to serve their purpose. Most likely if you never looked through a 2K$ scope before, you won't know the difference anyway. Kind of like I can't compare driving a Lambo with driving my Subaru because I never tried one before, lol.

Go have a look at PrimaryArms.com. They have a lot of decent (well review) glass for not too much money.

I'm kinda in research mode for optics now myself... but I bought a Primary Arms Micro (Aimpoint T1 knockoff) for under $100 for my AR build. If I don't like it... I'm not as hurt by it as if I didn't like a $1200 ACOG. (I'm hoping to actually own a ACOG at some point... but after buying all the parts for my AR it's not in the cards right now.)

My problem is that Shane45 has let me shoot some of his rifles with good glass. They redefine clarity. Take a look through an Elcan some time too. Holy cow.

This is the "First Class Seating" syndrome. Once you fly first class, coach might as well be called "cattle on the way to slaughter class".

I'm new to owning firearms, and I'm not particularly a long gun guy. However my stepson is getting a Ruger 10/22 and I got him a scope for it and would like to be able to go shooting with him. It's one of the few things we enjoy together.

Point is, I don't have experience with really good optics. Most likely a good thing. So, the $30 Taasco looks good to me. Thanks for the tips. Feel free to add more.

C

Nikon scopes are pretty decent for the price. If you trust a used one, you can get a real good deal. I got mine for less than half its original price. There are also nice weaver and leupold scopes that are pretty reasonable, least from what ive seen.

Bhphotovideo.com has a bunch of scopes, but strangely no nikons. They are one of the biggest photo and video retailers out there, usually very good prices and inventory.

Again, thanks for the tips. I most certainly am not opposed to buying used. Would prefer it to save some loot. Just not too sure what to look for.

I looked at/thru the Nikon at Ramsey last evening. Seems really nice and clear. Had been suggested by a few others so I think it's what I will go for. It's the Prostaff 4-12x40. They are asking around 2ish, a little more, a little less depending on the reticle markings.

Cagefighter, trust me, I am a true believer in that old adage. However, I also believe that the price should fit the use and this firearm won't see all that much. So, I want good, not great/amazing. And I just don't see me needing a $xxx dollar scope on it.

C

Go to www.opticsplanet.com. The site has excellent reviews of just about every optics product out there, really good pricing, and free shipping if your order is over some price which I can't remember.

Go to www.opticsplanet.com. The site has excellent reviews of just about every optics product out there, really good pricing, and free shipping if your order is over some price which I can't remember.

+1. Love that site. Got my Redfield Revolution on there fr a good price.

Well, I put a scope aside at my LGS. It's the new Nikon P-223. It's the same as the Prostaff, but the turret knobs are marked, which I like. 3-9x40 with the BDC reticle.

Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it.

C