Teky0101

UrtheCast - Live Video Footage of the Earth

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has seen the videos for UrtheCast? Basically Urthecast its a joint venture with the Russians and Americans to install high def camera's on the Space Station. These camera can view live footage, tag personal locations and have extremely high resolution capible of zooming up to one meter. Personally I think that these cameras are cool but its the privacy factor of these cameras which get to me. Imagine since these cameras are live you could potentially be spyed on by anyone 24/7. In addition to viewing footage these cameras record and can rewind anything it views. Honestly this is just plain scary! The really scary part is that these cameras are going live this spring 2012!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ScNJ74SkPE&feature=player_embedded

http://urthecast.com/

Personally I think that these cameras are cool but its the privacy factor of these cameras which get to me. Imagine since these cameras are live you could potentially be spyed on by anyone 24/7. In addition to viewing footage these cameras record and can rewind anything it views. Honestly this is just plain scary!

How could that be if the space station is orbiting the earth 15 times a day?

How could that be if the space station is orbiting the earth 15 times a day?

I think at the moment its not 100% of the globe at the moment but imagine a live facebook with tags and streaming video footage which anyone could view.

Wow, as long as you're not doing anything illegal (or cheating on the spouse), I see great potential... Just think if they had this the night OJ's wife was murdered... Sorry to flash back to the 90's (please make it go away), but just a crazy example of the potential for answers we all seek or wonder about... Yeah, things are going to get crazy with this kind of stuff, my local township police sends out photos and video of any crime caught on tape now, I'd say 90%+ are solved immediately after posting... So I see the good side of it! Of course, I'm not commiting crime or cheating on the spouse, so I guess I'm biased!

Wow, as long as you're not doing anything illegal (or cheating on the spouse), I see great potential... Just think if they had this the night OJ's wife was murdered... Sorry to flash back to the 90's (please make it go away), but just a crazy example of the potential for answers we all seek or wonder about... Yeah, things are going to get crazy with this kind of stuff, my local township police sends out photos and video of any crime caught on tape now, I'd say 90%+ are solved immediately after posting... So I see the good side of it! Of course, I'm not commiting crime or cheating on the spouse, so I guess I'm biased!

I see what you mean about the potential of it especially for solving crimes but the thing is where is the privacy anymore. The video footage is totally open to the public and is not used solely for goverment crime solving. A good example of this would be Christmas time if you wanted to buy a present for your wife she could potentially view exactally where you went shopping and watch you throughout most of the day. Its the unknown of who is watching you which get to me. What about parents protecting their children from kidnappers and stalkers. The issues with this level of control in the hands of the public simply does not end.

There has to be a surface area limit that they can capture at 1 meter resolution at a time. Maybe they will randomly point the cam at interesting things going on during the time the ISS is above it in orbit.

Anytime the government can track your moves is not good. Do you really want them invading your privacy? Don't they do enough of that already? What you're saying is pretty scary when you think about it. Remember, two sides to everything.

Anytime the government can track your moves is not good. Do you really want them invading your privacy? Don't they do enough of that already? What you're saying is pretty scary when you think about it. Remember, two sides to everything.

Yeah, I know, but it reminds me of a similar situation where my father-in-law still refuses to get EZ-Pass because he thinks they will track him, and if he gets on the turnpike at exit 4, exits at 16 and its only been an hour's time, they will calculate that he was speeding and send him a ticket! Hahaha, it surely has pros and cons from every angle...