Cam'mown

House visit to sign permits?

The fatal flaw in your logic is that you are allowed to be broke, homeless, or having a marital issue and still get all your constitutional rights. Or did you think that being in the middle of an ugly divorce meant you weren't allowed to go to the church of your choice?

And since when does being broke have anything to do with planning to commit a crime? The purpose of the entire process is not to determine your future purposes of the firearm, but rather to determine your current legality. That's all they should be doing.

You are thinking like an anti-gun!

I'm sorry, I don't believe I'm thinking like an anti-gun. I also don't believe I mentioned anything pertaining to being denied rights.

What I do believe is that you misread or misunderstood what I said. The subject was a license proving residency.

Those were all reasons why you might not be at the residence that your license states and why a license isn't always sufficient proof of residency at an address.

You're supposed to notify DMV when you move. They can check that as well. Unless they have some reason to think one of the things you suggest, the check is pointless. They've already checked your criminal record and mental health history. If you applied for a pistol purchase permit they've also checked references. Visiting your residence is a waste of everyone's time.

Do you honestly believe that everyone changes their address with the DMV or post office every time they move? The DMV may only have a last known address. It's just to make sure you live at your address submitted

If you are a homeowner with your name of the title, wouldn't it be easier to look you up on the computer under property taxes?

Are they afraid of drifters in rental apartments?

I'm not a drifter.. But I am a renter... Maybe that has something to do with it.

Do you honestly believe that everyone changes their address with the DMV or post office every time they move? The DMV may only have a last known address. It's just to make sure you live at your address submitted

I had a ny drivers license for 3 years after I moved here

The fatal flaw in your logic is that you are allowed to be broke, homeless, or having a marital issue and still get all your constitutional rights. Or did you think that being in the middle of an ugly divorce meant you weren't allowed to go to the church of your choice?

And since when does being broke have anything to do with planning to commit a crime? The purpose of the entire process is not to determine your future purposes of the firearm, but rather to determine your current legality. That's all they should be doing.

You are thinking like an anti-gun!

Well I slept on it, and yep, still feel like you were a little aggressive with the anti gun thing. The fatal flaw in your logic is that it makes no sense of what I said.

I'm pretty sure if you are homeless in new jersey you will not be issued a handgun permit. You have the right still, but you will fail to meet the criteria and therefore be denied.

I also never mentioned religion so I feel your analogy was off. Some rights carry more weight than others. In new jersey you can practice your religion freely, you can't bear arms freely, can you?

I heard in Newark years ago, they used to just mail your permits to your house!!! my have things have changed, can you just call the detective and be frank and ask why the house visit? that other towns do not practice this... think about it when you go to DMV to apply for a NJ D.L. you never have an officer come to your house to sign for it, right?

can you just call the detective and be frank and ask why the house visit? that other towns do not practice this... think about it when you go to DMV to apply for a NJ D.L. you never have an officer come to your house to sign for it, right?

I did ask, well he kinda just said right off the bat that It was just to make sure that I lived where I was stating I did on my app. If it was to check out my home for suspicious activity, it was a feeble attempt. He came into only 1 room. the room that surround my front door.

here is what bothers me if you brought D.L., proof of residence, references, check or money order this should be sufficient. what if your schedule did not correspond with his? would you have to wait? besides isnt there more important things that detective could be doing besides hand delivering permits?

here is what bothers me if you brought D.L., proof of residence, references, check or money order this should be sufficient. what if your schedule did not correspond with his? would you have to wait? besides isnt there more important things that detective could be doing besides hand delivering permits?

Depends on how your town issues the permits. Mine requires that i meet with the officer/s that handle the paperwork. 1 of 3. Some towns u can just pick them up from anyone at the station. So it can go either way.

Another thread had brought this up. I'm not a huge fan of this mostly because I will not be around NJ most of the week. I travel for work so if Bayonne decides to do this sort of thing I'll be incredibly restricted about when they would be able to visit.

It also seems a little big brother to me but that might be my paranoia.

Too bad you don't get to deal with Jersey City PD - those people are all great. Quick turnaround, and lots of them are friends with Frank & Lisa Caso. JCPD even hands out literature on where to get training once you get your FID.

Not every cop is an agent of big brother; most of them just want to do a thorough job, even with mundane background checks.

Too bad you don't get to deal with Jersey City PD - those people are all great. Quick turnaround, and lots of them are friends with Frank & Lisa Caso. JCPD even hands out literature on where to get training once you get your FID.

Not every cop is an agent of big brother; most of them just want to do a thorough job, even with mundane background checks.

I may need to look into that then.

My opinion about big brother isn't a shot towards the officers. I think the men and women on the street are doing their jobs to the T. My thought was more directed to the policy makers - chiefs and the like.

I used to live in Jersey City, the cops on Erie Street are complete dicks. Sorry I have to disagree. Maybe it is because I called the police and told them the license plate of every drug dealer that went bye, guess I gave them too much work to do.

In a town I previously lived in the detective asked if he could come to my house and see my collection. He said it was to verify I still had them. I politely told him "Not without a search warrant."

What? That scares the living daylights out of me!!! I am glad you moved out of there. Our house is under contract and I will do EVERYTHING I can to close this deal and get out of this heII hole!

I'm incredibly surprised that somem of you would let them into your home.

Personally I wouldn't have a problem with it.

I would never allow them in. I would agree to meet outside my door and i would tell the officer sorry but your kind is not welcome

inside without a valid warrent. I have nothing to hide but at the same time i dont go invlting trouble either.

I dont consent to searches or invasion of any form of privacy from police. Hell, once my Defcon one app is complete I may put it on android market.

its going to be great app to use against police who believe they can "seize" your phone whenver they want. in one click of a button it will randomize a password, and if it isnt unlocked in x hours it will erase the entire phone.

But thankfully my town doesnt do this, they maybe extremely slow but none of this house visiting crap. I dont care if it was 10 below and he was asking to come in, not gonig to happen.

Shadow, I would never agree to a search of my home without a warrant. But with that said, there was no searching going on. He was in my house for all of 2 minutes. He came in the front door into the living room, that's it. I didn't feel violated, or pressured. And there certainly wasn't an invasion of my privacy considering it was on my terms. I couldve said no, but I'm not about to act as if there is something to hide.

It never felt like the standard police/civilian exchange. I'm sure if I said "your kind is not welcome" it wouldn't have been interpreted as me just exercising my rights. And it surely would've delayed my permits.

This seemed more like an example of police/civilians working together

I see no need to be rude to them, but with all the 6 points BS around drivers licenses, they should be acceptable as ID. If they need something more for current residence the same things that work for DMV should work for them, e.g. a utility bill.

The local police are also not supposed to make up their own rules town by town. Fortunately, I had none of this experience. If I had, I would have been asking a lot of questions about what consitutes valid ID.

I did run into something equally stupid recently. I travel a lot and decided to get a Global Entry ID. These are issued by Homeland Security. The first time I tried to present it to TSA, which is part of Homeland Security, they refused to accept it. Our local LEOs do not have a monopoly on dumb.

Hell, once my Defcon one app is complete I may put it on android market.

its going to be great app to use against police who believe they can "seize" your phone whenver they want. in one click of a button it will randomize a password, and if it isnt unlocked in x hours it will erase the entire phone.

They do this?

I used to live in Jersey City, the cops on Erie Street are complete dicks. Sorry I have to disagree. Maybe it is because I called the police and told them the license plate of every drug dealer that went bye, guess I gave them too much work to do.

Hey, to each his own. I was there for my second set of 3 permits, and the lady behind the desk kept apologizing to me for making me wait. She said, "I'm sorry we have to do this. There are thousands of gun owners, and the only ones we ever arrest are the criminals who buy guns out of the trunks of cars and don't bother to come in here." Then we talked about all the architecture in Jersey City and the historical buildings going back to the 1800s for another 20 minutes after I got my permits. Guess that's just how it goes. Less than 2 weeks, btw