I went to the range finally with my new SR22 after a few weeks. I had cleaned it about a week and a half ago. It was a grueling range visit. We threw about 100 rounds down range and probably 80% were FTF. The ammo was CCI Blazer. What I observed was that the round seemed to barely move forward from the magazine to enter the chamber. Is it the mags? Ammo? Something not lubed well enough? It was the first time I ever cleaned a gun so maybe I just didn't lube something properly??? Your help is much appreciated

you need to try other ammo before you can actually say if its the CCI blazer's fault. CCI blazers are relatively clean compared to other 22lr choices out there.

Also, new guns and mags need a break in period. Shoot some more and see if the problem disappears.

Yeah, I usually shoot Federal .22lr. I like it quite a bit, perhaps it's not the best, but works for me. But yeah, when I bought my .22, I had a little trouble at first (and it's bolt action) just try breaking it in if it's new. I think my one friend would leave a new magazine full of ammo for a day or two before shooting just to break it in. I haven't heard anything bad about that ammo, and I doubt it's a real problem with the gun. Just gotta work her a bit.

I went to the range finally with my new SR22 after a few weeks. I had cleaned it about a week and a half ago. It was a grueling range visit. We threw about 100 rounds down range and probably 80% were FTF. The ammo was CCI Blazer. What I observed was that the round seemed to barely move forward from the magazine to enter the chamber. Is it the mags? Ammo? Something not lubed well enough? It was the first time I ever cleaned a gun so maybe I just didn't lube something properly??? Your help is much appreciated

You're saying that when the slide moved backward, ejected the casing, then moved forward, the cartridge wouldn't go all the way into the chamber, part of it would be sticking out? If you open the slide and drop a cartridge into the chamber, what happens? Do you have to push it in or does it just drop in? Next, feel the feed ramp in front of the chamber; is it smooth, clean and slick? if the rounds were interfering with each other like the spent casing wasn't getting out of the way, that could be an extractor or recoil spring issue. One thing you can do is hold the slide stop down and rack the slide 100 times fully. If the spring is initially too stiff, this will relax it some.

Also, is this the pistol or the rifle?

You're saying that when the slide moved backward, ejected the casing, then moved forward, the cartridge wouldn't go all the way into the chamber, part of it would be sticking out? If you open the slide and drop a cartridge into the chamber, what happens? Do you have to push it in or does it just drop in? Next, feel the feed ramp in front of the chamber; is it smooth, clean and slick? if the rounds were interfering with each other like the spent casing wasn't getting out of the way, that could be an extractor or recoil spring issue. One thing you can do is hold the slide stop down and rack the slide 100 times fully. If the spring is initially too stiff, this will relax it some.

Also, is this the pistol or the rifle?

It's a ruger SR22 Pistol. The cartridge isn't leaving the mag. The chamber is fully empty. When I pull out the mag, you can see the cartridge moved very slightly but not even close to exit the mag an go into the chamber.

It's a ruger SR22 Pistol. The cartridge isn't leaving the mag. The chamber is fully empty. When I pull out the mag, you can see the cartridge moved very slightly but not even close to exit the mag an go into the chamber.

so it's as if the magazine isn't fully seating into the mag well or maybe the mag spring isn't strong enough. Does it occur more or less at with a full magazine?

Ejector problem maybe.

Well, i'd be more inclined to believe the action isn't cycling back fully, mostly because it's new. It's ejecting the spent casing but not stripping a new round off the mag.

Which begs the question...if you manually cycle the firearm with a full magazine, does it cycle properly?

Do you have another mag to see if it's a mag issue?? If not, how is it when trying to unload the mag that you just loaded, are you able to push the round out the same way it would feed easy, or is it hanging up??

As others said, there is a break in period, also try different ammo, and some guns during the break-in like to run a little wet as the matting surfaces work in to one another. Also during the break in and running a little wet and not cleaning it for a little bit the build up crap from the fired ammo acts like a lapping compound helping the break-in along.

Also how does the gun cycle by hand, smooth or rough???

Well, i'd be more inclined to believe the action isn't cycling back fully, mostly because it's new. It's ejecting the spent casing but not stripping a new round off the mag.

Which begs the question...if you manually cycle the firearm with a full magazine, does it cycle properly?

When it fails I would just rack it manually and it would load the chamber.

Do you have another mag to see if it's a mag issue?? If not, how is it when trying to unload the mag that you just loaded, are you able to push the round out the same way it would feed easy, or is it hanging up??

As others said, there is a break in period, also try different ammo, and some guns during the break-in like to run a little wet as the matting surfaces work in to one another. Also during the break in and running a little wet and not cleaning it for a little bit the build up crap from the fired ammo acts like a lapping compound helping the break-in along.

Also how does the gun cycle by hand, smooth or rough???

I have 2 mags and it happened with both. It seems smooth to me but its my first gun so other than a few real dirty rentals I don't have much to compare it to.

Sounds like it's not cycling completely to the rear. Try some different ammo, as was suggested, maybe some cci mini-mags and see if it still happens.

I was going to say the same thing... I find that where other .22 ammo fails, CCI Mini-Mags will always work perfectly. My thought is that since it is a little bit higher velocity round, it will give the slide some extra "oomph" to cycle completely.