NJScott

More Hoops To Jump Through In Bayonne

Here is an update on the letters I sent the CP and the mayor of Bayonne:

I was away for a week in Arizona (GREAT gun state full of fine, 2A-supporting people; couple of stories to follow soon), and came back to two messages from the BPD chief. I called back this morning but had to leave a message on his voice mail. Around 8pm tonight he called me back to THANK me for the letter I sent him, telling me it's the only way of knowing whether they have issues in the permits department and should change policies around. He claimed that the previous chief, following the events of 9-11, was the one who instituted the "neighbors references (in addition to the two mandated ones)", because persons with terrorist links in Hudson County had applied for various forms of ID's using bogus addresses. The new chief, Bob Kubert, does not believe those references necessary any longer, especially since the DMV instituted their six-point policy when issuing DL's. So, effective immediately, he told the officers in permits to not require FID/PP applicants to provide those ancillary references.

When I asked about the work verification policy his department uses, the chief--exhibiting great common sense here--said that it wouldn't matter if an applicant was unemployed or retired re: obtaining FID/PP, so the only reason they would check is because the NJSP requires that info (if working, where, etc.). In his words his detectives would no longer "press the issue" regarding checking with employers via form letters or calling them on the telephone. When I asked if that meant I could supply verification of employment with a pay stub or W-2 when requesting further permits, he said that shouldn't be a problem.

All in all, a very good, productive conversation with a gentleman who seemingly cares about issues surrounding police-made difficulties in obtaining permits. I'll issue a caveat here and say that there may be a differing of opinion, or a different interpretation on what "pressing the issue (or not)" means between the good chief and some personnel in the permits division, so contacting Chief Kubert on any future issues may not be a bad idea.

In closing, the chief told me that he had signed off on my three permits and that I could pick them up on Monday or Tuesday from "Hurricane" Hurley in the detective's office.

Ira, if you're reading this that means I'm coming to pick up my Glock!

Regards,

Scott Y.

From what I understand it has never been this Chief. Every officer I talk to seems to have the same opinion of the new boss in charge of the firearms dept. He seems to be the one causing all the difficulties. If I don't hear anything this week I will be making an appointment to speak to them personally.

From what I understand it has never been this Chief. Every officer I talk to seems to have the same opinion of the new boss in charge of the firearms dept. He seems to be the one causing all the difficulties. If I don't hear anything this week I will be making an appointment to speak to them personally.

It's amazing to me that you are forced to go through the same process as the rest of us. At least you can conceal carry!

It's amazing to me that you are forced to go through the same process as the rest of us. At least you can conceal carry!

Ummm, is he a higher class citizen? No offense Joe.

Agreed. I find it absurd that someone who is ISSUED a gun to perform his duties still must obtain permission to buy his own gun. Ugh.

Agreed. I find it absurd that someone who is ISSUED a gun to perform his duties still must obtain permission to buy his own gun. Ugh.

Because he is still a NJ resident. Police officers aren't above the laws are they?

Notified by Det. Schaefer (?...that's what it sounded like on answering machine message) that my three permits are good to go. It's a little late now and I'm bushed, so I'll pick 'em up first thing when they open.

Just a little over 8 weeks this time around, along with a newly-established relationship with the Chief, thanks to letter I wrote to him and the Mayor. Also, they definitely dropped the "neighbor references (yes, they wanted those in ADDITION to the two personal refs required by NJSP)", which will hopefully encourage more people to apply for FID/PP's.

Scott in Bayonne

Det shaeffer is the older gentlemen that wears his glasses down his noes. Hurrican is the guy that looks the general in those ridiculous car insurance commercials and the younger guy (I can't remember his name) is pretty cool.

Det shaeffer is the older gentlemen that wears his glasses down his noes. Hurrican is the guy that looks the general in those ridiculous car insurance commercials and the younger guy (I can't remember his name) is pretty cool.

the younger guy is Det. Donnolley. real good person.

I'm supposed to look at "The Hurricane" with a straight face now, Ray? LOL

I'm supposed to look at "The Hurricane" with a straight face now, Ray? LOL

He jokes about it, ask him. All the cops call him the General.

BTW, thanks for the heads-up there. Sucks to be us.

Picked up my permits today, and it is obvious that I am now, and shall forever be, known by the Bayonne P.D. as "The Letter-Writer", LOL.

Seriously, that is what one of the detectives referred to me as, and "The General" let me know that it was never their intent to "diss" anyone by asking for more than the required refs. I alluded to the fact that it wasn't any issue I had with THEM, rather than with the policy itself. Hopefully, we parted as friends.....we'll see, especially since I'm soon going to need my FID replaced due to wear and tear.

I drove straight away to Ira's place in Marlboro, where I picked up my new Glock 23 that he had been holding onto for the last month or so, and it is a beauty. As always, the transaction was thoroughly professional and painless, and I'll be +'ing Mr. Levin on another sub-forum in a minute.

Got the call permits are ready. Just over a month. Can wait to see what happens when i put in for my exemption.

Joe, text me what your getting. I gots ta know.