podmannj

traveling with a shotgun

Sorry if this has been asked before.

If I have a shotgun in my car (lets say on the way to the trap range) - can I make a stop for gas or lunch or whatever.

I understand with a handgun, I can not stop anywhere - must go direct to range and back home, but does that apply to a long gun?

thanks

Moreover,you can drive around with a long gun in your car anytime you want, as long as it's unloaded. Once you load it though, you have committed a felony. Whether or not you need to have your FID card in your possession is subject to some discussion.

And, whether or not our peace officers know the law... that's open for discussion, too.

A low profile is best.

I dispute this Jon. FID allows you to purchase nothing about possession.

Any eligible person should be able to legally possess.

As long as the possessor has had a FPID issued to him, he is allowed to possess and carry long guns anywhere in the state per the statute.

Rifles and shotguns. (1) Any person who knowingly has in his possession any rifle or shotgun without having first obtained a firearms purchaser identification card in accordance with the provisions of N.J.S.2C:58-3, is guilty of a crime of the third degree.

The long gun possessor need not have the card in his possession.

Someone who never had a FPID issued to him, must abide by the exemptions for possession, not unlike possessing a handgun.

As long as the possessor has had a FPID issued to him, he is allowed to possess and carry long guns anywhere in the state per the statute.

Someone who never had a FPID issued to him, must abide by the exemptions for possession, not unlike possessing a handgun.

Thanks for the clarification.

Ok, I know this has been argues to death.

1) The law reads that one only needs a FID to obtain/transport a long gun.

2) The law states that a FIREARM can only be transported in state(not through) if you are fufilling one of the 3 exceptions(range/show/match).

So technically its disputable if I was to,say, pack my rifle and ammo in the car and go to the range, then go to work with said unloaded rifle and ammo, then come home.

I have read so many posts and ultimately it appears to be a gray area that could potentially land me in prison/get me fired.

But damn, it would be so much easier to get to the range if I could just pack my rifle and head before/after work without having to return home each and every time.

For a LONG GUN you are ok, so long as it is unloaded.

While the Firearms Purchaser Identification Card is just that - a card needed to purchase firearms and handgun ammunition, by having one you are also permitted to transport long guns outside of the exemptions in 2C:39-6.

Here is the actual statute regarding possession of a rifle/shotgun.

2C:39-5 Unlawful possession of weapons

c.tab.gifRifles and shotguns.

(1) Any person who knowingly has in his possession any rifle or shotgun without having first obtained a firearms purchaser identification card in accordance with the provisions of N.J.S.2C:58-3, is guilty of a crime of the third degree.

(2)tab.gifUnless otherwise permitted by law, any person who knowingly has in his possession any loaded rifle or shotgun is guilty of a crime of the third degree.

As always, IANAL.

As far as the get you fired part... If your employer prohibits weapons on company property, you are breaking company policy by having a rifle in your trunk in the parking lot. You signed a contract agreeing to their policies so there is no protection from that.

For a LONG GUN you are ok, so long as it is unloaded.

While the Firearms Purchaser Identification Card is just that - a card needed to purchase firearms and handgun ammunition, by having one you are also permitted to transport long guns outside of the exemptions in 2C:39-6.

Here is the actual statute regarding possession of a rifle/shotgun.

[/size][/font]

As always, IANAL.

As far as the get you fired part... If your employer prohibits weapons on company property, you are breaking company policy by having a rifle in your trunk in the parking lot. You signed a contract agreeing to their policies so there is no protection from that.

this...

it is no gray area....