Pizza Bob

Multiple Handgun Purchase Exemption

In looking over the two forms necessary to apply for this exemption (SP-015 and SP-016) they indicate that they should be turned in at the same time as your application for your purchase permits. My question is, can I submit these exemption forms and use the exemption granted with existing permits already in my possession, or do I need to apply for permits to be used specifically with this exemption?

Secondly, do I submit the two forms directly to the NJSP, or do they have to be submitted to my local PD, who in turn submits them to the NJSP?

Thanks.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Bob, you can submit the forms with existing permits, to your local police dept. Only catch, the guns you are purchasing have to be listed with serial #'s on the forms prior to submitting them. The process atkes about a month, good luck.

Tony.........

My question is, can I submit these exemption forms and use the exemption granted with existing permits already in my possession, or do I need to apply for permits to be used specifically with this exemption? If you have the needed permits already for this additional exemption, you may use them. The proper way would be to give them to your PD to hold until the exemption is granted.

Secondly, do I submit the two forms directly to the NJSP, or do they have to be submitted to my local PD, who in turn submits them to the NJSP? You may submit the forms directly to the NJSP, although you may be told by others that it is wrong and contrary to what the directions say. BTW, it works and will be quicker to send the forms in directly.

I never apply for permits and an exemption at the same time, I usually have some permits laying around and then file for the exemption.

As for submitting the exemption forms, I have always given them to my local PD.

For those of you that have submitted them direct to the NJSP, how did you do that? mail them direct to the firearms division? - and how do you get them back? through your local PD? Anything that can speed up the process would be a help, sometimes I think my PD sits on the exemption apps until they have other paperwork going to Trenton anyway.

I sent mine right to the NJSP about two weeks after I applied for the permits at my local PD. About two weeks after that I got called to pick up my permits and the exemption form being the state police sent the approved copy to my local PD.

I sent mine right to the NJSP about two weeks after I applied for the permits at my local PD. About two weeks after that I got called to pick up my permits and the exemption form being the state police sent the approved copy to my local PD.

I might try sending the exemption directly to the NJSP - hoping it will speed things up, not to mention being able to avoid having to dodge work to drop it off during business hours.

Couple of questions about Multiple Handgun Purchase Exemptions and I didn't want to start a new thread:

1. To what address at NJSP do I send the forms? I don't want to go through my local PD since they've proven to be less than diligent when it comes to paperwork. I found this one on the net - is it right?

New Jersey State Police

Firearms Investigation Unit

Post Office Box 7068

West Trenton, New Jersey 08628-0068

2. If I buy a handgun today, and my exemptions come in tomorrow, can I pick up my exempt guns tomorrow? I do not have to wait another 30 days from today, correct?

3. What happens if my exemptions don't come in for, say, 45 days? Can I take home one of the handguns that would have been on the exemption forms early (provided that I'm still observing the 30 day purchase rule)?

4. Do FFL holders discount the transfer fees on multiple purchases at a time (i.e. one NICS call)?

Thanks in advance.

In regards to #2 and #4, yes you can buy a pistol today then use your exemption/P2P's tomorrow to pick up the exempted guns. With the exemption, there is only one call to NICS so it should be on fee for the exempted purchases.

Im not sure how things are effected if you go to buy your pistols on the exemption form one at a time once the paperwork is submitted. When I did my exemption it took just under two weeks to receive the approval.

The address I have for the paperwork is

NJ State Police

Building 8

PO Box 7068

West Trenton, NJ

08628-0068

Couple of questions about Multiple Handgun Purchase Exemptions and I didn't want to start a new thread:

1. To what address at NJSP do I send the forms? See the below. I don't want to go through my local PD since they've proven to be less than diligent when it comes to paperwork. I found this one on the net - is it right? This is the correct address.

New Jersey State Police

Firearms Investigation Unit

Post Office Box 7068

West Trenton, New Jersey 08628-0068

2. If I buy a handgun today, and my exemptions come in tomorrow, can I pick up my exempt guns tomorrow? Yes. I do not have to wait another 30 days from today, correct? No.

3. What happens if my exemptions don't come in for, say, 45 days? Shouldn't happen. Can I take home one of the handguns that would have been on the exemption forms early (provided that I'm still observing the 30 day purchase rule)? The exemption forms will be sent back to the PD way before the permits are approved. If the permits are given to you prior to getteing the exemption forms, I do not see a problem with acquiring one off the list.

4. Do FFL holders discount the transfer fees on multiple purchases at a time (i.e. one NICS call)?

I do, but YMMV.

Thanks in advance.

ETA: Either address will work.

On the SP-015, does anyone have an example of what was accepted as a valid "Reason for exemption request" for someone who is just acquiring multiple handguns for their personal collection? In other words, the handguns are not rare firearms, or there's no real time constraint on their purchase. It would just be someone enhancing their collection and not wanting to wait say 3 months to acquire 3 handguns that have already been purchased and are being held at their FFL.

For example: "The handguns were all special ordered and have been acquired by and are waiting at the FFL."

I'd like a feel for what the State Police judge sufficient to grant this exemption.

3. What happens if my exemptions don't come in for, say, 45 days? Shouldn't happen. Can I take home one of the handguns that would have been on the exemption forms early (provided that I'm still observing the 30 day purchase rule)? The exemption forms will be sent back to the PD way before the permits are approved. If the permits are given to you prior to getteing the exemption forms, I do not see a problem with acquiring one off the list

ETA: Either address will work.

The serial numbers of the handguns on the exemption needs to be read to the NJSP at the time the NICS check is done, I don't know if it would matter if one is missing from the ones listed on the exemption.

A better question is: can you transfer a HG that is not on an exemption on the same NICS as an exemption? (assuming more than 30 days has passed since your last HG transfer)

As for mailing exemption forms directly to the NJSP: I know people are doing this...... so I called the NJSP to get the address to send it direct..... and was rudely told it HAD TO go through my local PD. :banghead: Is it asking too much to have the rules and procedures written down somewhere so we can have a clue what do with anything in this state?

On the SP-015, does anyone have an example of what was accepted as a valid "Reason for exemption request" for someone who is just acquiring multiple handguns for their personal collection? In other words, the handguns are not rare firearms, or there's no real time constraint on their purchase. It would just be someone enhancing their collection and not wanting to wait say 3 months to acquire 3 handguns that have already been purchased and are being held at their FFL.

For example: "The handguns were all special ordered and have been acquired by and are waiting at the FFL."

I'd like a feel for what the State Police judge sufficient to grant this exemption.

Gun collecting is all the reason you need to get an exemption approved. The age or rarity of the HGs is not relevant, the NJSP has been approving exemptions with brand new, modern, readily available HGs on them. The exemption rules allow for a collector to buy multiple HGs at one time when it is not feasible or practical to buy separately, or when purchasing separately would have an adverse impact on a persons ability to collect HGs or if the HGs have limited availability. If any of this applies to you, you will almost certainly be granted an exemption.

My plan is to get the exemption approved and then apply for all the necessary permits

I second the previous post. Do it at the same time. When I did an exemption a few months back, I first applied for my P2P's then about ten days later applied for the exemption. I got the call from my PD about two weeks after that to let me know that my permits and exemption paperwork were ready to pick up.

There are people here that say you can buy today and gets guns on the exemption form tomorrow. Every time I have spoken to the njsp firearms division, I have been told that if I bought today, I'd have to wait 30 days to use the exemption.

The exemption allows you to take more than one gun home a month for the guns on the form. You still have to wait 30 days between purchases or nice checks. This has been told to me everytime I call.

Not true bry@n. You are being fed some poppy-cock. I have transferred exempted guns the following day after a non-exempt purchase.

I second what Paul is saying, I've done it at least 3 times - including last week. NICS was about to deny me until the dealer told them I had an exemption, all was approved.

I don't doubt they are telling people that, as I stated above, they told me I can not mail the exemption directly to them even though I know other people are doing it.

Paul, any idea if you can transfer a non exempt HG on the same NICS as an exempt transfer (assuming more than 30 days has passed since your last HG transfer)?

got my exemption back and everything was approved now do i need to mail a copy of the exemption along with the filled out PP's?

If you doing a face to face sale I would assume (dangerous word) you mail it with the copies of the permits to the local pd and NJSP. If your at an FFL, they take care of it all.