when_shtf

Recommended Semi-Auto Twins

I've got two purchase permits on the way and I'm looking to purchase two new semi-auto handguns; a 9mm and a .22LR. Here's my requirement: I'm looking at handguns that come in both 9mm and .22. This way I can shoot inexpensive ammo and get lots of trigger time (both fit this requirement) but most importantly I want my 12 year-old son to be able to shoot with the old man at our range.

The first guns I can think of that meet my requirements are the M&P9 and M&P22. I also know that the Sig P226 comes in both calibers.

If anyone has experience with these guns, please let me know the positive and negative attributes of each. I like to narrow-down my search as much as possible in the next week or two and then head out to Heritage to rent and try before I buy.

Thanks for the helping me pick out something I'll own forever.

Gary

Those conversion 22LR kits are expensive & the 22 slides are aluminum on some. I would just get a real 22LR. If they are still in the process of your paperwork, maybe you can ask them to sneak in another 1 permit for 2 bucks.

A lot of folks like Browning 22LR. I'm not too crazy about the 22LR 1911s coming out these days. Not too crazy about the takedown on the Ruger 22LRs neither. Pistols should be easy to take apart & clean.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=283889381

Have had the m&p 22 for a little over a month and probably 3k round. It's been great, is more accurate than I am, and works pretty good. The safety is a bit cheap, but it doesn't get in my way.

Have had the m&p 9 for a week and only 100 rounds and so far it too had been good to me.

I have had the M&P 9 for about a year and the M&P 22 for a little over 2 weeks. Both have been trouble free and are a blast to shoot. Keep in mind that the 9 has changeable backstraps, should fit your son pretty good with the small inserted. The 22 does not have that feature, I would say it's somewhere between the small and medium in size. I have not owned a 226 but, have shot one and the grip is pretty large, especially for a 12 year old.

As always, go shoot them and see which on you like best.

My 12 year old is a bit unusual...he's 5'10 and shooting past 130 pounds. He's gonna be a big dude.

Just to be clear, I'm not looking for a gun that can be a .22 and a 9mm, I'm looking for two separate guns that share the same features.

Thanks for the reports (pun) on the M&P's, they are at the top of my list.

I have the MP9 but not the MP22. I have a P226 in 9 & 40 and have also has the 226 in 22lr.

My personal opinion would be the mp9/ 22 series or a glock 19 with a conversion. You could always get a glock lower cheap enough to have the conversion dedicated.

I would steer clear of the sig 226 in 22lr. Mine had a ton of ammo issues and it just got annoying. That being said, Sig has changed the feed ramp on the gun and supposedly it's much better now. II wouldn't know. The gun can be had for $500 and you can score upper's for $300 new so.....

I think finding 9mm/.22LR twins might be a pipe dream. At one point I had about a dozen different possible twins/pairs on my list, but based on a lot of feed back and on-line reviews I ruled out many pairs. So here's my short list:

M&P 9 model 109201 (6.5lb trigger, no thumb safety, 10-rd)

M&P 22 model 122000 (10lb trigger, thumb safety, 10-rd)

Not identical twins, but fraternal twins. I believe with some trigger work I can get these two close, but they will never be the same given that the 9mm is a Strike Fire/DOA and the .22 is Single Action.

Ruger SR9 B-10-L

Ruger SR22PB

Not twins at all, but somehow related. Once again the two weapons have different action; the 9mm is a Strike Fire/DOA and the .22 is SA/DA. The SR22 has some nice features like fully adjustable sights. Hickok45 liked both weapons quite a bit (he reviewed the SR9C which is very similar).

Ruger SR9 B-10-L

Ruger SR22PB

Not twins, but brothers. Both are SA/DA. This is the (low) price winner of the group.

CZ75B

CZ Kadet

Twins. In a odd twist, the .22 Kadet sells for 30% more the the 9mm.

Sig P226 9mm

Sig P226 .22LR

The closest twins...almost inbred. But the price of these two might keep me away.

So I have a lot of shooting to do. The local range has all of the 9mm guns listed above and some of the .22LR's for rent. In the end the search for twins might be a compromise, so I'll more then likely get the 9mm and .22LR that I like the best. If I'm lucky they'll be family members.

If you wanted the same exact triggers, which is a nice option, then a Glock 19 and a Dedicated Glock 19 frame with Advantage Arms 22LR conversion.

I know its not exactly what you want, but I have the Glock 19 conversion kit and it fits like it came from the factory as a 22lr. Same frame, grip, sights, and trigger pull.

Just sayin