Sign in to follow this  
hondajon80

What is with all these backround checks?!?

Ok.. So im sure just like most things I see on here this has probably been talked about. But.. I went to Dicks today to buy a little .22 rifle for my girlfriend to use when we go shooting. Today being Saturday, 4/28/12. They told me that they could not sell me the gun because some place that does backround checks closes at 5 pm and is not open on Sunday either. Now this may be true. I have not actually looked it up yet. But what I do not understand is why you have to jump through so many hoops to enjoy shooting and buying guns in this state. I am not new to the gun world, however I am new to the buying guns in Nj world. You have to go through backround checks, mental health checks, references, and finger printing only to wait weeks if not months to get the privilege to buy guns that from my understanding should be a right providing you have a clean backround, and when you do get the FPID card you have to go through most of that again anyway. Not to mention what you have to do to get a handgun. This drives me crazy.

Sorry I had to vent.

This is the NICS check.

http://www.shoreshotpistolrange.com/pdf/NICS.pdf

When you purchase a handgun, you are subjected to the NICS check even though the local PD has already conducted a complete background check within the past 180 days which makes no sense to conduct the NICS check again. In the case of a long arms purchase, it may make sense to conduct this check depending on how long your last check was done. Regardless, it is a nice way for the state to tax you everytime you purchase a firearm.

In NJ your point of purchase background check is actually done by the NJ state police NICS unit, whose hours you are now aware of. The majority of the rest of the country calls into the 24hr nics instant check hotline.

The point of purchase nics check is in my opinion, as someone who sells firearms, the important one. Im glad that the buyer displayed that they were not a prohibited person when they got the card, but that was done when the application was filed. The point of sale background check is the important one because that covers the time period between receiving your card, and when you actually want to make a purchase. Things happen, people get charged up, and emotions get the better of people. If someone who was involved in an incident that would make them a prohibiter person after they got their card, I would have way to know that if the point of sale check was not done.

In NJ your point of purchase background check is actually done by the NJ state police NICS unit, whose hours you are now aware of. The majority of the rest of the country calls into the 24hr nics instant check hotline.

The point of purchase nics check is in my opinion, as someone who sells firearms, the important one. Im glad that the buyer displayed that they were not a prohibited person when they got the card, but that was done when the application was filed. The point of sale background check is the important one because that covers the time period between receiving your card, and when you actually want to make a purchase. Things happen, people get charged up, and emotions get the better of people. If someone who was involved in an incident that would make them a prohibiter person after they got their card, I would have way to know that if the point of sale check was not done.

Ok This makes sense to me now that you said it that way. I agree with how you said things could happen from the time you got your card until you buy.. I still do not agree with us being buyers having to work around the states schedule in order for us to buy at the times that we want to. It's hard for me to do things like this during the week considering I work 6 days a week.. But at this point I guess it is what it is.

Thank you for your input. =)

I actually had a nics check yesterday that was done at 4:55pm. The guy was like you made up your mind just in the nick of time. I was like its not 7 yet, and then i remembered oh crap its Saturday. I was almost in the same position as you, and would have been pretty annoyed if i had to come back. They are open until 7 on weekdays. 5 on weekends.

Isn't it true that you can buy long guns in any state? If so we should all take our money to a state that respects our Constitutional rights!

Amen to that!!!! Just like the carry issue.. I dont feel i have any need to carry.. But the fact that its a right that i am not aloud to have gets my blood boiling.

I actually had a nics check yesterday that was done at 4:55pm. The guy was like you made up your mind just in the nick of time. I was like its not 7 yet, and then i remembered oh crap its Saturday. I was almost in the same position as you, and would have been pretty annoyed if i had to come back. They are open until 7 8 on weekdays. 5 on weekends Saturdays, closed on Sundays.