SgtToadette

Questions about the FID process.

Hey guy/gals.

I'm going through the application process now for my FID card and will be sure to post a final report when everything resolves. I just had a question or two about the process. First I feel I should get some details out of the way:

• I handed in all the forms to my local PD on April 10th, 2012.
  • I was fingerprinted on April 18th, 2012.
  • I have not been contacted by my PD since April 10th, 2012.
  • I was not requested to hand in certified checks for associated FID fees at the time forms were submitted.

Since it is now the end of April and it's been about two weeks since I was fingerprinted, should my PD have contacted me by now? Should I call and check up?

I understand that NJ FIDs can take upwards of several months to process, but my concern is that since they have not collected my certified checks, my application is just laying in a filing cabinet of a local detective collecting dust. I don't want to be obnoxious and call prematurely about what could be a non-issue. On a related note, I payed Safran (the third party company that fingerprinted me) a 57.50 fee via my credit card online. I assume that covers the fingerprinting fee that I had a certified check made out for and I would consequently no longer need the check (I'm still holding onto it to be safe).

If you need clarification please tell me. It's hard enough for me to try to understand the process let alone explain what I don't know.

Thanks!

-Zack

A coworker of mine lives in Hopewell. The Det. called me(I'm his reference) 2.5 months after applying to interview me about him. This is someone who is GIVEN a gun to perform his duties. Don't hold your breath for your FID in that town.

A coworker of mine lives in Hopewell. The Det. called me(I'm his reference) 2.5 months after applying to interview me about him. This is someone who is GIVEN a gun to perform his duties. Don't hold your breath for your FID in that town.

Bummer. I'll give 'em a call tomorrow and politely ask them what the course of action is. Thanks for the info. I'd rather not have to be too persistent.

Too bad you can`t call them and inquire.

A. From the time the application (Form STS-033) is completed and the fingerprints submitted, approximately four (4) to six (6) weeks. When the identification card is completed the detective will contact you. Please do not call to “check up” on the progress of the application.

http://www.hopewellt...nformation.html

I would call, call the mayor, send certified letters. Eventually they have to give it to you, with the post above and there retarded policy I would be a thorn in there side. It's your right to own a firearm do what u feel u need to lawfully obtain that right

damn... i guess i'm lucky i have a younger detective that does the paperwork for my town.. only took about 3 weeks. I'm going today to apply for a handgun permit and they said it should be a little quicker... Did you take your fingerprint paperwork back to the PD? and hand it to the detective?

Seems like something is missing. I'd go back and ask in person.

I had to bring the form from fingerprinting back with all the other apps, and then they accepted my money and had me pre sign the FPID and PP's and pre-fingerprint the FPID card.

Then they told me I had to wait 4-6 weeks. Not holding my breath...4 weeks is today..I know my ref's answered at the end of the first week.

what i did.. i went to PD.. spoke with my detective... he gave me the paperwork to fill out and called in a special number to be placed on my paperwork right there on the spot. He told me to make an appointment with the fingerprint people with that special number he gave me.

2. I made appointment with fingerprint people, got fingerprinted, and they stapled the receipt to my paperwork.

3. I hand in Completed paperwork with fingerprint receipt to detective and paid him in cash (i think, may have paid him when i picked it up)

4. three and a half weeks later he calls me up and says everything is done come and pick up your PID!

Call up your detective and "Hey whats up.. just calling to check on the status of the PID card" and call once a week on the same daya and time and BE NICE!!!

As I said in your Intro thread, I deal with this PD all the time, and generally they are not bad. The only money they collect at the time of application is the $18 for the SP-212A non-criminal background check, which is done in leiu of fingerprinting - which in this case does not apply, since this is your initial application. You paid Sagem Morpho for the printing. When your FPID and permits are ready, you will be called. If you got three permits it'll be $11 total ($5 - FPID / $2 ea - P2P). I'd give them at least 6 weeks from the date you were fingerprinted. Stop worrying and be a little patient.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

@j0n - this dept is usually about 5-6 weeks. Assume you spoke to Det. Zorn? He's a good guy.

As I said in your Intro thread, I deal with this PD all the time, and generally they are not bad. The only money they collect at the time of application is the $18 for the SP-212A non-criminal background check, which is done in leiu of fingerprinting - which in this case does not apply, since this is your initial application. You paid Sagem Morpgo for the printing. When your FPID and permits are ready, you will be called. If you got three permits it'll be $11 total ($5 - FPID / $2 ea - P2P). I'd give them at least 6 weeks from the date you were fingerprinted. Stop worrying and be a little patient.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

@j0n - this dept is usually about 5-6 weeks. Assume you spoke to Det. Zorn? He's a good guy.

I didn't but I know of him and a lot of people I work with do, too. Seems like a stand-up guy. I actually didn't catch the name of the Detective I spoke with when I handed in my paperwork. I'll wait a few more weeks and see what happens. Thanks!

yea i also intentionally just "forgot" that i applied and went about my business. Can't obsess about it every day just makes it worse! in the mean time just watch some hickkock45 videos and fpsrussia on youtube!! It's worse then Xmas!

yea i also intentionally just "forgot" that i applied and went about my business. Can't obsess about it every day just makes it worse! in the mean time just watch some hickkock45 videos and fpsrussia on youtube!! It's worse then Xmas!

I've been watching more than my fair share of YouTube, believe me! My biggest worry is with this whole gun scare phenomena going on. I know the situations is bad now but I can only imagine what will happen once presidential debates, interviews, and ads start coming around on TV. Especially with this whole Trayvon/Zimmerman massive media attention going on.

I guess I must live in one of the best towns in nj for processing FID and Permits.....2 weeks to get BOTH in hand, VERY polite and professional with a smile and couldnt be happier.

When I went back for a 3rd permit, the same deal...2 weeks with a politle phone messege left,by the Detective, telling me my permit was ready.

My current 3 handguns:

S&W Model 19-4, 4", .357

S&W Model 617, 4" .22lr

Cougar Stoeger 8000, 9mm (Identical to the Beretta PX4 Storm, only in all steel)

The town is Robbinsville, in Mercer County. Formerly known was Washington Twp.

Pizza Bob is correct. Listen to his advice, he was succinct and quoted the appropriate statutes. It's your initial FID. Give the process more than a couple weeks, if the authority having jurisdiction is within their time frames. Good luck, be patient and it will be in your hands shortly.

Jim...out

IMHO it wouldn't hurt to call your PD to ask if they have everything they need. If they are missing something, for instance if one of your references did not return his form, you could be waiting indefinitely. From my experience, they won't call you if something is missing. The burden is on you to be sure they have everything they need, so that presents a good opportunity to inquire as to your status.

If they are missing something, for instance if one of your references did not return his form, you could be waiting indefinitely.

In Hopewell Twp, there is nothing to be missed - the applicant turns in his reference's questionaires with the application, mental health form and non-criminal background check (if applicable).

I got my fid in four weeks and a day. I've heard some have waited 6 months. I don't think I would call them. Who I would call are the referances you listed. My Det told me that is the reason for 90% of delays. I would have had mine in 3 weeks maybe even less, If my guy had sent in his paperwork. He sent it in the day I called him asking what was goin on. Good luck.

As I said in your Intro thread, I deal with this PD all the time, and generally they are not bad. The only money they collect at the time of application is the $18 for the SP-212A non-criminal background check, which is done in leiu of fingerprinting - which in this case does not apply, since this is your initial application. You paid Sagem Morpho for the printing. When your FPID and permits are ready, you will be called. If you got three permits it'll be $11 total ($5 - FPID / $2 ea - P2P). I'd give them at least 6 weeks from the date you were fingerprinted. Stop worrying and be a little patient.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

New guy here... I'm planning to drop off my paperwork (STS-033, SB 66 and application references (http://www.hopewellt...20Reference.pdf)) as well as fill out the "yellow form" / SBI 212A today but can't determine if the township's website is accurate in asking for payment to the State Police:

"Initial Application for State of New Jersey Firearms Identification Card: $60.25

Form STS-033

Certified Check or Money Order

****** NO PERSONAL CHECKS *****

Payable to “DIVISION OF STATE POLICE SBI”

** FEE MUST BE PAID AT THE TIME APPLICATION IS SUBMITTED AND FINGERPRINTS ARE TAKEN **"

Do I include the $60.25 and the $18.00 for the:

"Subsequent Firearms Background Investigations: $18.00

Form SBI 212A (Yellow Form)

Certified Check or Money Order

****** NO PERSONAL CHECKS *****

Payable to “DIVISION OF STATE POLICE SBI”

FEE MUST BE PAID AT THE TIME APPLICATION IS SUBMITTED AND FINGERPRINTS ARE TAKEN"

I'm so confused... http://www.hopewellt...nformation.html

Since this is your initial application, you will not be doing the SP-212A,, you will have to be fingerprinted. Printing is now done by Sagem Morpho, but I am not sure who you pay or when (all this third party printing post dates my initial app by many years). Maybe you pay the PD and maybe you pay SM direct - I'm sure someone will be along that has been through the SM printing to let you know. If not, try PM'ing Sgt Toadette, as he just went through all this with Hopewell Twp. Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I did mine in Woodbridge back in December. You pay the $60 for fingerprinting directly to Sagem Morpho. Go to their webiste and follow the prompts to pre-pay for your prints. then, you make an appointment on the website (sort of like making an appt for blood work at Labcorp) Print out your receipt, take that and any other paperwork they say you need on the website and go to Sagem Morpo to get printed. The printing itself took 2 minutes. I had to wait for 5 minutes for my turn. They submit the prints electronically and the township and NJSP get them instantly. Pretty painless other than the $$$

Yellow form picked up along with the HTPD instruction sheet. (I'll scan it for future reference...) Gonna set up something with them next week and get the next step out of the way.

Unless I missed something here, you won't be using the yellow sheet (SP-212A), since this is your initial application and you will be fingerprinted. The SP-212A is used for subsequent applications in leiu of fingerprints.

Hmmm... Confusing. I'll have to re-read the HTPD instruction sheet again... It matters little as I've got to set up my appointment for next Tuesday evening with the detective. I wonder why they don't include the fingeprinting form in the packet?

Bummer. I'll give 'em a call tomorrow and politely ask them what the course of action is. Thanks for the info. I'd rather not have to be too persistent.

Not wanting to be "too persistent" with these foot-dragging PD's is a sure-fire recipe for disappolntment, my friend.