Teky0101

Saw this today! - Russia Threatens Preemptive Strike

Hi Everyone,

I just saw this article on MSNBC today and through it was pretty freaking scary. If anyone has any additional information on this story I would really enjoy hearing about it!

http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/05/03/11521486-russia-threatens-preemptive-strike-over-planned-us-missile-shield

Ben it could be saber-rattling then again it would likely only take one strike to start a huge war. I hope they can work something out!

Russia has already preemptively struck treaty nations to disrupt the missile shield. What do you think the whole thing with Georgia was? I'm pretty sure we aren't the ones being directly threatened.

This is nothing compared to the threats during the cold war. A major reason the USSR collapsed was because they went broke trying to prepare for the war they were sure Reagan was going to start. The Russian concept of defense looks a lot like offense. The MAD principle keeps it all in check. I would worry more about countries that have nuclear weapons and have nothing to lose.

Russia has already preemptively struck treaty nations to disrupt the missile shield. What do you think the whole thing with Georgia was? I'm pretty sure we aren't the ones being directly threatened.

No, not the U.S. Russia doesn't like it when we dick around in their backyard. It has been like this since 1945.

If the European nations want to erect this missile shield, they can have at it. We shouldn't be involved in it at all. None of our business. We have had a habit of butting into everybody else's business since the end of WWII, it has bit us on the a** more than once.

This is nothing compared to the threats during the cold war. A major reason the USSR collapsed was because they went broke trying to prepare for the war they were sure Reagan was going to start. The Russian concept of defense looks a lot like offense. The MAD principle keeps it all in check. I would worry more about countries that have nuclear weapons and have nothing to lose.

Which nuclear weapon possessing country has nothing to lose? Any country who sets off a nuke is going to be wiped from the map by the U.S. and others. Now if a rogue group gets hold of a nuke, that is a different story. Since Russia has unaccounted for nukes it's a possibility.

Russia (Putin), is simply using the missle defense shield as both a diplomatic and internal power tool. He gets to beat his drum in front of the world by forcing the USA to capitulate, demonstrating his power and prowness.

Internally, he is fostering an us v. them mentality, and painting NATO, specifically the USA as trying to undermine their national security. This will get him the patriotic/nationalist thumbs up of the people, and allow him to justify more military spending to counter the new "threat". Same crap that our govt does to us.

Realistically, the proposed missile defense system is completely in the wrong location to mount any kind of defense against a Russian land based ICBM attack. It would also be woefully inadequate against the amount of Russian missiles even if it was in the right location... like a Nordic country. Not even a speed-bump.

Istan

Which nuclear weapon possessing country has nothing to lose? Any country who sets off a nuke is going to be wiped from the map by the U.S. and others. Now if a rogue group gets hold of a nuke, that is a different story. Since Russia has unaccounted for nukes it's a possibility.

Your scenario of a rogue group is more likely. However if Israel were being over run by their opponents in a conventional conflict don't you think they would use tactical nuclear weapons? There are other countries I can see doing this.

If India and Pakistan started throwing nuclear weapons at one another I think we would stay out of it. MAD keeps them in check.

It is always safer to have more nuclear weapons and have some concealed from your enemies than only have a few.

Your scenario of a rogue group is more likely. However if Israel were being over run by their opponents in a conventional conflict don't you think they would use tactical nuclear weapons? There are other countries I can see doing this.

Well if a country is dumb enough to invade a nuclear country without having nukes themselves... I guess they get what they get. lol

and the hint is....we should all stock up on 7.6sx39 ??

This. America's glory days could be coming to a close. Our country is insolvent, unemployment is high, the dollar is in danger of being devalued and removed as the reserve currency. The world may not end in 2012 but life as we know it just might.