Sandy

Mossberg 500 tactical..help

I almost bought one at the gun show yesterday. It had an adjustable stock with shell holders on the side of it , it felt really nice weight wise and with the stock adjusted all the way down the LOP was perfect for me. The vendor wanted 385 for it . But , I hesitated because I had not researched that particular stock ( I know I could change it out , but the pistol grip on it felt a bit cheap , and I just did not want to overpay for it) . Plus I figure unless it was a killer deal on a used gun , I would just a soon ask the vendors here for price first.

In any event , I would like a Mossberg 500 with a good recoil reducing adjustable stock ( has to be adjustable , other wise I am cutting down stocks..yes , even the youth ones. I need at the maximum an 11 1/2 " LOP and the youth models are 13 " ) , and any other interesting stuff I could put on it. Since it is a pump action and no detachable magazine, I do not have to worry about the features as long as the overall length is legal , correct? Ambidextrous usage is not a concern for me. Sorry Ray Ray.

I would like as short of a barrel as allowable . Purpose of this gun will be HD and for training ( GFH Urban Shotgun series) .

I want to spend about 800 max on it. Obviously less is better. Looking for the best I can get for the money , as usual. I don;t have to stick with a Mossberg 500 , I just know it as a popular, affordable , and reliable platform. Open to suggestions.

Thanks!

Unfortunately, any recoil-reducing stock is going to be pretty much regular sized.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/930954/blackhawk-knoxx-specops-adjustable-length-of-pull-stock-maverick-88-mossberg-500-590-590a1-835-12-gauge-synthetic-black

If you're that worried about recoil, maybe spend a little more and get a Semi auto?

Two things will reduce felt recoil. More weight or a semi-auto gas system. The Remington shotguns have steel receivers. Mossberg has aluminum. I prefer the Remington. Some will advise against a semi-auto for home defense. If I had a shotgun with enough rounds through it to feel comfortable, I would not have a problem with a semi-auto.

Well , from holding a bunch of them ( what gun shows are the best for , IMO) , I definitely want a pistol grip . I just checked vladtepes super duper is it legal thread and read that no pistol grips whatsoever on semi autos so that is out :/

So , why the 590 over the 500?

Thanks for all the help so far :)

IMHO, that 500 sounded as if it were priced fairly; not a great deal but certainly not a bad deal.

It is interesting that even a youth stock is too long for you. I think your situation is probably the only justification for a collapsible stock in a HD configuration.

I just sold my collapsible stock from Mesa Tactical last fall. It wasn't junk. I paid well north of $200 for it 4 years ago. I am not sure what they are running today. The felt-recoil reduction wasn't quite the 70% that they claim on their website, but it was substantial. I'll give them 50% tops.

Here is a link for the product info:

http://www.mesatactical.com/index.php?id=55

Something to consider:

If your budget is $800, consider a 590 rather than a 500. I have both, and I feel the 590 is lighter, has better triggers, and is slightly better quality overall. The trigger alone is worth the $$ difference.

What about these ? For HD , point and shoot type stuff. Will I need dentures ?

http://images.search...68&fr=yfp-t-701

Point and shoot with a shotgun is more TV than reality. It gives you a little more room for error than a rifle/handgun, but not that much. At a room distance, the hole made by a buckshot shotgun blast is baseball sized. That really only gives you a couple of inches in each direction over an average bullet. The type of shot that spreads right away is called birdshot, and (aside from Ray Ray) most folks would not recommend it for self defense because it does not penetrate very deeply. To me, the pistol grip shotguns without a stock are just fun range blasters. Nobody should be shooting from the hip in their own house, and especially not in the act of self protection. A pistol rip with a shoulder stock is a different story.

If you are dead set on a shotgun, do not fall sway to the macho caliber wars. A 20 gauge has about 60% the recoil with 75% of the terminal ballistics of a 12 gauge (if my numbers are a bit off, please correct me. I am reciting from Masaad Ayoob article I read years ago). It is much easier to handle. I have a few.

Point and shoot with a shotgun is more TV than reality. It gives you a little more room for error than a rifle/handgun, but not that much. At a room distance, the hole made by a buckshot shotgun blast is baseball sized. That really only gives you a couple of inches in each direction over an average bullet. The type of shot that spreads right away is called birdshot, and (aside from Ray Ray) most folks would not recommend it for self defense because it does not penetrate very deeply. To me, the pistol grip shotguns without a stock are just fun range blasters. Nobody should be shooting from the hip in their own house, and especially not in the act of self protection. A pistol rip with a shoulder stock is a different story.

If you are dead set on a shotgun, do not fall sway to the macho caliber wars. A 20 gauge has about 60% the recoil with 75% of the terminal ballistics of a 12 gauge (if my numbers are a bit off, please correct me. I am reciting from Masaad Ayoob article I read years ago). It is much easier to handle. I have a few.

Doesn't he recommend 20 ga. no. 4 buck?

How many people have practiced clearing rooms in a HD scenario. Longer is not better. I have moved away from the shotgun mentality for that reason. My new go to is a xdm 3.8 with a tlr1s loaded with speer gold dots. Much easier to clear rooms with this. Contact will be very close quarters anyway so one should be able to hit at that distance. Plus the handgun is easier to lockup now that i have an infant roaming around the house

20 gauge? Yeah ?

I am probably being scared off the recoil by people who don't know me ( nobody here , a few other people I have spoke too) . Length is my issue , not strength.

Not that I would object to 20 ga .. I just may be creating a problem with recoil before it happens. No way to say this without sounding like a tool , but I am pretty damn strong. I've been punched and kicked by grown men for 4 hour long sessions , way harder than a gun would kick ( martial arts , not poor domestic choices lol ) . It is those stupid youtube videos of women getting knocked around by their SGs. I doubt it would apply to me.

If it turns out it does I'll post it here in marketplace for 50 bucks off and eat my humble pie lol

There are other reasons to use a 20gauge. Even for those not recoil averse, you can certainly get back on target faster with a lighter recoiling gun. Think 9mm vs 40S&W in a steel match.