Sign in to follow this  
DirtyDigz

Look who else likes the CX4 storm...

I like the gun, have one in .40 cal, sold the 9mm version to my friend. Very accurate with the stock sights, I put a red dot on mine which co-witnesses perfectly with the stock sights. Good thing too, once in awhile the battery cover comes loose from me turning the knob the wrong way to turn it on (it is a red dot and green dot, I prefer the green). I can still shoot it with the dot turned off, or the battery laying on the ground!

The CX4 is very interesting little gun.

I've shot a full auto MP-5 before and I think that the CX4 actually wins out over that gun for many purposes:

#1. Last round bolt hold-open

#2. Full ambidextrous operation.

#3. Costs less and the magazines are less expensive.

#4. Fist-meets-fist, even at night and when you are exhausted. It reloads naturally like an UZI.

#5. Swaps magazines with the PX4 or Beretta M9. I don't know what Venezuela uses as their sidearm.

Disadvantages:

I don't think you can put a suppressor on it like the MP5, but maybe you could thread the barrel.

No full-auto mode, but there is with the MX4 Storm. I'm not sure if these are MX4 Storms or not. I know the Indian Border Patrol picked that as their carbine.

In all honesty, it wouldn't be a bad weapon for Military Police or rear-echelon forces such as truck drivers or communications personnel.

Bullets cost money. Training costs money. Something like a CX4 that can be fired inside pistol-rated indoor ranges may win in a contract over other carbine-type weapons like an M4 or P90. I don't know if I would want to go into combat with a CX4, but if I was guarding a checkpoint or driving a truck, I wouldn't feel undergunned.

Do any of you have the Seirra Papa full trigger kit on your Storm's? Anyone know what is the pull weight is before and after?

I have it and while I can not provide a "weight" I can tell you that the feel is far better..

I have been shooting my CX4 with promag 20 round mags and so far they are working flawlessly.. they look a little goofy.. but man they work really well..

I have not touched the trigger group on mine Jon. I would like to run it side by side with a modified gun, but since I tend to be a brute with most things I kinda like the stiff trigger.

If that trigger kit makes this gun feel like my Saiga post-conversion though, I might do it. The Saiga was bad with the stock trigger, post-conversion it is beautiful.

Do any of you have the Seirra Papa full trigger kit on your Storm's? Anyone know what is the pull weight is before and after?

I also have sierra papa trigger kit. SO much smoother,its also adjustable as far as travel. It's just a much better trigger group.

Bullets cost money. Training costs money.

The difference between 5.56 and 9mm is minimal. That small savings is lost if you get the CX4 in a larger caliber such as .40 or .45. The only benefit that the CX4 has over an AR platform rifle is that it's a little lighter, and potentially shorter (unless you have the AR stock completely collapsed). The benefits of an AR over a CX4? Much more effective ballistics, more accurate over long range, shoots flatter over a longer range, and 30 round mags are widely available and cheaper. I don't see much of a benefit.

The difference between 5.56 and 9mm is minimal.

Maybe... but I'm thinking holistically.

I took a quick look at Wikipedia (if it is accurate) and it seems like the Venezuelan Army uses the Browning Hi Power and Sig P226 (so they must have standardized on 9mm). They also use the FAL and AK as battle rifles and the UZI as the sub machine gun.

I think that if you have the money, a 5.56 M4-like carbine is a better tactical bet. It's small enough to carry around in a truck, but big enough to reach out to 300 yards if you have to.

Again, I took a look at Wikipedia and it seems like the Venezuela National Guard is sort of like the Mexican Federales or French Gendarmes, or the NJ State Police on Steroids. They are an internal security force that can act as a supplement to the Army. So there you go - bunch of guys guarding checkpoints. I wouldn't be surprised if Hugo Chavez uses it is a sort of loyalist Army like Hitler did with the Brownshirts.

But from a training standpoint, if this is a sort of hybrid police force, they would be able to train with the CX4 on indoor ranges that are rated for pistol rather than go through the expense of bussing these guys to outdoor military ranges and such.

Of course I'm speculating here as to how they are using the CX4, but I do see uses for it in an internal security role.

Maybe... but I'm thinking holistically.

I understand where you're coming from. I just personally think that when it comes to fighting for your life, you should be using the most effective tools available to you. Granted, these men don't choose what they get to use, but the same should be said for the government employing them. Yea training indoors and a slightly cheaper rifle is nice, but an M4 is much more likely to win in a gunfight.

I understand where you're coming from. I just personally think that when it comes to fighting for your life, you should be using the most effective tools available to you. Granted, these men don't choose what they get to use, but the same should be said for the government employing them. Yea training indoors and a slightly cheaper rifle is nice, but an M4 is much more likely to win in a gunfight.

You're supposing that they are engaging in a firefight with similarly equipped regular troops and not simply supressing civilians.

You're supposing that they are engaging in a firefight with similarly equipped regular troops and not simply supressing civilians.

But for the small bump in price, why potentially undergun yourself? If you're suppressing unarmed civilians, hell paintball guns will do the trick. But if you're defending against armed civilians, you could potentially be outgunned.