Sign in to follow this  
Smokin .50

How it Should Be Around Here And Why I Want To Move To Iowa!

So some REALLY great News! My 22 year-old Eagle Scout son in Iowa goes to the County Sherrif last Monday and applies for an Iowa "Permit To Acquire" which covers hand guns. All you need for rifles and shotguns is a DL! This little wallet-sized card (about the same as our FID) is good for TWO FULL YEARS and for as many hand guns as you wish to spend money on! Want to buy five or six in a single transaction--just plunk-down the bread or whip-out the credit card! So after applying last Monday during his lunch hour (he didn't have to lose a day's pay to go do it in the morning or afternoon, only to find the only Cop who does it on vacation!) they tell him he'll be approved and they can mail him his Permit to Acquire............

AND IT SHOWS UP IN THE DARN MAIL 4 DAYS LATER!

So he drives over to the nearest Bass Pro Shop near Des Moines and buys a Beretta Neo .22, a cleaning kit, gun rug, a brick of ammo and a red dot sight and walks out the front door with it yesterday, and then proceeds to drive to a local FREE outdoor public range about 20 minutes from his house, whereby after an inspection and oiling he pumps half a brick through it without a burp! He's going to put the dot on it and go back today!

Dad is REALLY PROUD today!

And don't you folks just wish it could be as simple around here???????

So if anyone here has any extra mags they don't need please send me a PM, as I'd like to send him a "reverse" Father's Day surprise in the mail!

Dave

Not to rain on your parade, but right next door (PA) you can do all that with just your DL. No special card from the state, giving you permission. Granted, compared to NJ, IA seems like heaven, but no need to look that far.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Not to rain on your parade, but right next door (PA) you can do all that with just your DL. No special card from the state, giving you permission. Granted, compared to NJ, IA seems like heaven, but no need to look that far.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Bob,

I know about Pennsy, thanks. You're not raining on my parade. But the Boy doesn't live there.....

On another related topic, if my son wishes to CCW, he goes back to see the Sherrif and applies for the Iowa Permit To Carry. A couple weeks later it's ready, and all he has to do is to pass a NRA Basic Pistol Class or show Proof of being involved in Pistol Competition. Iowa is a "Shall Issue" State and lots of his friends at work have the Carry Permit, which by the way, automatically exempts you from having to obtain a renewal of your Permit to Acquire! Common sense in action.....I'm ready to faint from it all, lol!

I'm just glad and proud that he decided to do this without being "pushed by Dad". That's the real reason for the post, given our proximity to PA.

Enjoy this great sunny day!

Dave

On another related topic, if my son wishes to CCW, he goes back to see the Sherrif and applies for the Iowa Permit To Carry. A couple weeks later it's ready, and all he has to do is to pass a NRA Basic Pistol Class or show Proof of being involved in Pistol Competition.

another comparison, in new hampshire when you apply for a CCW and it takes longer then 5 days you can sue the police dept.

another comparison, in new hampshire when you apply for a CCW and it takes longer then 5 days you can sue the police dept.

That's almost funny! But then in neighboring Vermont, I don't need a permit at all, just carry and go about my business!

Dave,

Iowa is a different world. I spent 18 mos. on and off assignment there some years ago. Folks still leave their doors unlocked at night in rural communities. People are almost too friendly. Rush-hour here is rush-minute out there. And there is some great pheasant and deer hunting out there. Not to mention a good steak and pork chop. Kids can get a Minor School License and drive alone at the age of 14 1/2 so they can commute to school. School start, break and end dates are dictated by the farming harvest seasons. It's a different culture altogether there.

Dave,

Iowa is a different world. I spent 18 mos. on and off assignment there some years ago. Folks still leave their doors unlocked at night in rural communities. People are almost too friendly. Rush-hour here is rush-minute out there. And there is some great pheasant and deer hunting out there. Not to mention a good steak and pork chop. Kids can get a Minor School License and drive alone at the age of 14 1/2 so they can commute to school. School start, break and end dates are dictated by the farming harvest seasons. It's a different culture altogether there.

I have been there three times now in the last six months! October when we moved him out there, and in February-March when I visited. Then drove the Wife there for the end of April and stayed for Tulip Time in Pella where he lives and works. Nice is an understatement for sure, and you're right about the doors too! When we first arrived, I was towing a U-Haul. Folks would stop when they had the green light to wave me through an intersection. At first it felt so wierd, then not so much. It took a little time to get used to that and I wished he'd stay there so we could move and retire there!

Where in Iowa ? I have an old friend in Fort Dodge :)

That is great your son is getting in to it . That must be real exciting for you :) Will you get to visit him soon?

He's in Pella. We were just there visiting him in early May for Tulip Time.

He's not quite 23 years old. He's been a Shooter since age four, and a NRA Life Member since he was five, lol! This Beretta he bought with his own money, all on his own! That's why I'm so excited! It says to me that he wishes to continue the tradition and be a responsible gun owner, not simply "go with Dad to the range".

Fort Dodge isn't really near Pella, as Pella is just 40 miles Southeast of Des Moines, along Rt. 163. He works for Vermeer as a Mechanical Engineer. All his friends there own guns of some sort.

I lived in Iowa for 7 years and attended Univ of Iowa. If Iowa gave away free guns I still wouldn;t live there again!

And why is that? Please explain before you get written-off into oblivion. Bad Ex-Wife story or what?

Pella....lot of glass in that town :p Home base of Pella Windows.

My MIL was born in Leon, IA...about hour+ due south of Des Moines. My wife and her sisters went out to visit Grandma just a couple years ago. They got checked into the motel rooms and realized they didn't have any room keys. When they asked the desk clerk looked at them like they had 3 heads and had to "dig them out" of a box.

IA just went Shall Issue Jan 2011. Prior to that they were May Issue and issue/restrictions was completely up to the individual sheriffs.

And why is that? Please explain before you get written-off into oblivion. Bad Ex-Wife story or what?

It's called personal experience. I lived there. You didn't! Unbearable summers and winters. No jobs! No beaches! Tornado alley! State run liquor stores. Lousy pizza!

I had an offer to move there ten years ago. My wife opted not to. If you grew up and lived in the tri-state area, you would have a tough time adjusting to the lifestyle and culture of fellow Iowan's. Not to mention their cold winters.

Over 40 states require no permit to buy a handgun and nearly 45 states are "shall issue" or "no permit required" for carry in practice even though a few of those are "may issue" according to law or may make you jump through a couple hoops you will get it.

IA laws sound very shitty compared to most of the country.