woodentoe

Give me the straight dope on these guns.

To clarify, I am primarily looking to purchase this firearm for range use. just plinking and target practice as an introduction to the caliber. This would be my 2nd gun (my first being a .22 Ruger Mark III Target, which I love)

It is possible that I will move this firearm up to a lockbox at my bedside as a JIC gun. I don't intend to carry in the near future as I'm still learning basic fundamentals. I'm really just looking for a sturdy, accurate full size 9mm that I can put adjustable sights on to become a better shot with. And, something pretty (stainless or duo tone) so my wife will be on board. She's excited for me to get a sexy gun....go figure.

My best friend is NYPD and his duty pistol is a 5946 S&W and he's been very happy with it. Primarily, I'm only suggesting the S&W because it is all steel, and available at my price point used from a trade in. I'm not overly concerned with life-saving reliability for this purchase. I just want a sturdy gun that is a smooth shooter to practice with and teach my wife how to shoot.

I've narrowed down my next purchase. Please give me pros and cons. I'm trying to keep to AROUND 500.00 more or less.

Cz75 or 85(prefer 85 as I'm a lefty)

Fns-9

M9 or the Taurus copy. Please give pros and cons between the two.

Or a used, If I can find, S&W steel frame 9mm like a 5906

Of the guns you've listed, only the PT-92 can be found for less the $500 (new). The CZ hovers around $500 and the FNS and M9 exceed the limit by a good margin (new). They are all top-notch guns, you wont go wrong with any of them. As several have stated above, buy the one that feels best in your hand. It really is the most important "feature" of any handgun.

The only operational difference between the PT-92 and the M9 is the location of the safety. The triggers are different but like the location of the safety, one isn't better than the other, it's just personal preference.

Of the guns you've listed, only the PT-92 can be found for less the $500 (new). The CZ hovers around $500 and the FNS and M9 exceed the limit by a good margin (new). They are all top-notch guns, you wont go wrong with any of them. As several have stated above, buy the one that feels best in your hand. It really is the most important "feature" of any handgun. The only operational difference between the PT-92 and the M9 is the location of the safety. The triggers are different but like the location of the safety, one isn't better than the other, it's just personal preference.

Thanks! My $500 figure is a median price. I'm okay deviating up OR down for the right gun or a great deal.

I know I can get a used 5906 for around $500 with tax and NICS give or take ten bucks. But, I'm on the fence as to whether or not it is worth it to get a used gun if it comes with major reliability criticism.

All my guns are plastic. Wanted to buy a used 5906 but I hated the way it felt. Got two M&Ps. The 9mm M&P is a good size for my hand. Funny thing about the CZ: Everyone on line loves them but when you try to buy one, the gun stores say they don't sell so they don't stock them.

CZ makes a 15 round mag. Get the gun without a mag and buy the 15 mags aftermarket.

yeah. I asked about eh CZ75 and Joe from Mastodon told me he can't get it for me because it has 17 round mags. *shrug*

A lot of online places will swap out the larger mags for 10 rounders for the CZ 75. Damascus did for me at no charge

A lot of online places will swap out the larger mags for 10 rounders for the CZ 75. Damascus did for me at no charge

CZ Customs swapped them out for 15 rounders for me at no charge.

You will perform best with the handgun that fits your hand. The more it doesn't, the more your performance will be suboptimal. If you've got very big hands and try and shoot a handgun with a narrow/ small grip, you may find difficulty with holding on to it, getting too much finger on the trigger, slide bite and so on. ..... If it feels like your fingers need and extra joint to reach back to a lever, it doesn't fit you. If it feels like you need another inch or two on your fingers, you guessed it...it doesn't fit you.

As to Smith and Wesson handguns, I've owned in no particular order, a 4506, 4046, 4043, 5906, and a few other models over the years. I've also been a Firearms Instructor for my department for about a dozen years, and we previously carried 4046s. They are heavy for design and caliber; lack capacity compared to similar models from other manufactures; and aren't unfailingly reliable, which is really the first requirement for a defense weapon. I have networked with other departments' Firearms Instructors to learn that ours was not a special cicumstance, and many folks had issues with thier S&W semiatuos. the M&P seems to be the only pistol they've produced that hasn't been a PIA, or POS, or both...

All you say about "fit" is true but IMO too many people put way too much emphasis on it. I'm pushing 40 years as firearms instructor and inability to shoot a particular gun well based on "fit" is a failure of the instructor to be able to teach and of the student willing to learn. If you give me a handgun with a grip like a 2x4 and a student wanting to learn, they will shoot that gun well.I'm not saying certain guns will feel better that others. Preference is one thing and ability is another. The more different types of guns you master will make you a much better shooter with the one that "fits" you better.

There is a very common scenario where the whole "fit" school of thought goes down the toilet. If you are with a large agency that mandates a certain model only what do you tell the higher ups? The selected firearm doesn't so no one will shoot well? The agency I worked for went through a period when the only authorized handguns were Glock 17s, 19s, and 26s with a optional steel J frame for backup or off duty. Thousands of agents survived this regardless of fit. This included a 4'9", 85 lb woman who was one of the best shooters in the office with any weapon.

I also disagree with your assessment of S&W semi-autos. I carried 1st, 2nd, and 3rd generation models for about 15 years in the 80s and 90s. The only issues I experienced were:

1. Change recoil spring every 3000 rds or so.

2. Don't let all the crap collect in the firing pin channel when cleaning or it will lock up (as will a Glock).

3. There were some cracked frames but I'm talking a handful out of several thousand we had out there.

4. Reliability issues were usually related to poor cleaning. I have seen these guns go 1000 rds plus no cleaning no malfunctions.

I never really cared for the DAO versions and I don't see a couple of rounds less in capacity a handicap.

The Sigma is a pos IMO.

Sure there are better guns out there now but if I were looking for a bargain SD or range gun these guns are fine. There are usually at least two sides to every story.

BTW one of my personal favorites as far as fit goes is the Model 39.

Funny thing about the CZ: Everyone on line loves them but when you try to buy one, the gun stores say they don't sell so they don't stock them.

I found the same thing up in North Jersey. Everyone said they're great guns, but they sit on the shelf. Gave me pause because I don't want a gun that depreciates because no one wants it. However, I bought one anyway and love it.

All you say about "fit" is true but IMO too many people put way too much emphasis on it. I'm pushing 40 years as firearms instructor and inability to shoot a particular gun well based on "fit" is a failure of the instructor to be able to teach and of the student willing to learn. If you give me a handgun with a grip like a 2x4 and a student wanting to learn, they will shoot that gun well.I'm not saying certain guns will feel better that others. Preference is one thing and ability is another. The more different types of guns you master will make you a much better shooter with the one that "fits" you better.

There is a very common scenario where the whole "fit" school of thought goes down the toilet. If you are with a large agency that mandates a certain model only what do you tell the higher ups? The selected firearm doesn't so no one will shoot well? The agency I worked for went through a period when the only authorized handguns were Glock 17s, 19s, and 26s with a optional steel J frame for backup or off duty. Thousands of agents survived this regardless of fit. This included a 4'9", 85 lb woman who was one of the best shooters in the office with any weapon.

I also disagree with your assessment of S&W semi-autos. I carried 1st, 2nd, and 3rd generation models for about 15 years in the 80s and 90s. The only issues I experienced were:

1. Change recoil spring every 3000 rds or so.

2. Don't let all the crap collect in the firing pin channel when cleaning or it will lock up (as will a Glock).

3. There were some cracked frames but I'm talking a handful out of several thousand we had out there.

4. Reliability issues were usually related to poor cleaning. I have seen these guns go 1000 rds plus no cleaning no malfunctions.

I never really cared for the DAO versions and I don't see a couple of rounds less in capacity a handicap.

The Sigma is a pos IMO.

Sure there are better guns out there now but if I were looking for a bargain SD or range gun these guns are fine. There are usually at least two sides to every story.

BTW one of my personal favorites as far as fit goes is the Model 39.

I started to type a long response to yours, but I will simply say that to each his own, and you have a very unique perspective for someone with so many decades on the job as an instructor. Maybe in twenty eight years I'll feel the same way. Thank you for your service...

I found the same thing up in North Jersey. Everyone said they're great guns, but they sit on the shelf. Gave me pause because I don't want a gun that depreciates because no one wants it. However, I bought one anyway and love it.

I found that to be the case also when I finally decided to purchase one, and had to resort to the internet to source the model I wanted. Ironically for a firearm that doesn't sell, one of the largest importers and modifiers has been sold out for months on the most popular models with "no known delivery date" on future shipments.

Held an m9 and a pretty nice dan wesson .357 at Price Gun Shop in PA.

I can see no reason not to go 92fs other than pricetag.

The wesson definitely showed some wear, but was a bargain at 425. I probably should have bought it. But I'm a dummy. Lol

Griz, it's funny you say that, most of my guns have been purchased solely on my "want" for them... In fact i never shot any of my models before purchasing them... I get the idea behind finding a gun that fits your hand, but you will end up with all sort of pistols that fit your hand differently, and you have to adjust and learn to shoot each one individually, unless.... all you do is buy Glocks or M&Ps :p

Griz, it's funny you say that, most of my guns have been purchased solely on my "want" for them... In fact i never shot any of my models before purchasing them... I get the idea behind finding a gun that fits your hand, but you will end up with all sort of pistols that fit your hand differently, and you have to adjust and learn to shoot each one individually, unless.... all you do is buy Glocks or M&Ps :p

Same. I will just jump in and adapt to the particular weapon. Buy what you want. You'll figure it out

I started to type a long response to yours, but I will simply say that to each his own, and you have a very unique perspective for someone with so many decades on the job as an instructor. Maybe in twenty eight years I'll feel the same way. Thank you for your service...

Not really unique when I'm talking about the fit business. Its just doing what you have to do. Best example is the military. Unless you are in special ops your handgun choice is a M9 or....a M9. You don't tell a soldier "the gun doesn't fit you. You will never shoot it well". You do what do need to do. Adapt and overcome.

S&W wouldn't have sold as many of those 1st, 2nd, and 3rd generation semi-autos if they were garbage. Look at the market's reaction to the Sigma. It was a cheap Glock imitation and no one bought it.

Held a S&W 6906 yesterday. Very stocky gun. Nice thick grip. What felt to me like a very nice trigger. But, all the PA gun shops I went to said they wouldn't ship any gun over 15 rounds to NJ. Very frustrating. I could get the round count under 15 factory if I went .40, but I was hoping for 9mm

True. However, I've been told by multiple retailers that they will not ship to NJ, even with compliant mags.

Like who?While not owning as many firearms as some members,I have purchased 4 of my pistols online and priced,inquired on mags capacities,and shipping from at least a dozen online dealers and have yet for anyone to tell me they won't ship to NJ.

Held a S&W 6906 yesterday. Very stocky gun. Nice thick grip. What felt to me like a very nice trigger. But, all the PA gun shops I went to said they wouldn't ship any gun over 15 rounds to NJ. Very frustrating. I could get the round count under 15 factory if I went .40, but I was hoping for 9mm

I don't know what they're smoking but a 6906 is a 12 rd magazine. The 59 series was 14 or 15 rds. S&W did make a factory 20 rd mag but you don't see many around. All the mags would fit a 6906.

I was talking to my dealer about the cz that I saw. She said cz is a pain because they will only ship the guns with 17 rd mags. Once he gets it she has to snd the 17 back to cz for the 15. Only then can she display the gun for sale. What a PITA.

I'm referring to PA FFL's regarding shipping to NJ FFL. OR even NJ FFLs telling me the can't get such and such a gun because they can't get it in NJ.

If you really want a 6906, order one from these people on GB, they'll ship to NJ no problem and they're reasonable and easy to deal with.

http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?Keywords=*6906&IncludeSellers=979927